Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2008, 14:56   #16

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha K,
Keep the dream and plan alive and start sailing as soon as you can in club boats or rentals or anything you can get your hands on. Any on the water experience is good.
Kind regards,
JohnL
P. S. I could use a bit of anti-aging.
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 17:35   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
I just ordered the book.

Thanks.
$12 bucks out of the kitty and another damn thing to throw away when you board the boat.

Not picking on you Therapy and reading is loads of fun but it struck me when I read that that I have the same problem everyone else has.

I buy crap all the time. Actually, I am getting a lot better at not buying crap but "stuff" can really distract me from where I want to go.

I am working my way through the club's library. Most of the books are very old but they are free and when I am done I just stick them back on the shelf.

I am working towards my goal of $250-300k for the boat and a steady retirement income to live on. Now I think about every purchase in terms of moving towards the $250-300k goal.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 17:44   #18

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
$12 bucks out of the kitty and another damn thing to throw away when you board the boat.

Not picking on you Therapy and reading is loads of fun but it struck me when I read that that I have the same problem everyone else has.

I buy crap all the time. Actually, I am getting a lot better at not buying crap but "stuff" can really distract me from where I want to go.

I am working my way through the club's library. Most of the books are very old but they are free and when I am done I just stick them back on the shelf.

I am working towards my goal of $250-300k for the boat and a steady retirement income to live on. Now I think about every purchase in terms of moving towards the $250-300k goal.

Hilarius because one of the things in the book is what not to spend money on so one can get enough to together to get out there.

Seems kinda like the "buy my book and you can get rich" kinda thing.

Hilarius.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 17:52   #19

Boat: outremer
haha, I am trying to be critical of everything I spend now as well.

hey btw, perhaps the author deserves a little something for his book, and maybe I'll be moved to send some money his way after reading it, but it appears that you can read the entire thing on your monitor through that link
svrecess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 17:55   #20

Boat: outremer
oh wait a sec, it only shows maybe 30 pages or so... whoops nevermind
svrecess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 14:51   #21

Boat: Alpa42 Ketch
Send a message via Skype™ to VieuxMalin
12 bucks

Yes, 12 bucks saved can REALLY help the kitty!

Sorry, I forgot to mention that my vessel is READY for the go...

However, dear cruise wisher, it is always good to read about how the people did it before you. That's my personal attitude, maybe wrong, but can't help to pay attention on every single "bell".

A book is NEVER wasting money, according to my EXTRA-MODEST opinion...
Old 02-06-2008, 15:05   #22

Boat: Sceptre 41
I've spent money on books and sometimes the return is years later.Like the Get rich Real Estate Books. I'd buy it and digest the idea and then it was stored away in my mind and sometimes five or ten years later the little nugget comes out and I end up making way more than the book cost. Of course I do look for the books on sale and at used book stores.

As far as sailing books go -- Well sometimes it is the only thing that keeps me mildly sane.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 15:18   #23

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post

As far as sailing books go -- Well sometimes it is the only thing that keeps me mildly sane.
I can't figure out if this reading is keeping me sane or pushing me to the edge.

Please let me know.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 00:51   #24

Boat: 13 mtr Adams steel cruiser-"Lady Eileen".)
Therapy,
Hi and Welcome.
Have to agree with VieuxMalin and Charlie.Have been a book reader most of my life and at best rate read 1-2 books a week.
I am only learning about sailing and boat building as a first rate learner ,but have bought a lot of books on anything from welding to navigation to boat carpentry to get me along with all of the great advice you also get here.

Books enrich you more than you realise and are generally worth way more than you pay for them in the end.

When you start talking to your boat and expecting an answer back is when you have to start getting concerned about getting close to the edge.

Regards
John
john connell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2008, 10:11   #25

Boat: 27' Albin Vega - mangomuffins
K,

rbates is right. Lake Travis is a great place to learn to sail... just make sure that you get a boat that is stout enough to stay out in those summer squalls when everyone else is running for the marinas. That can give you valuable heavy weather experience without having to worry about 20' waves.
L.T. has any sailing conditions that one could hope (or not hope) for... dead calm, 40kt squall lines, anchoring challenges, a**hole power boaters, a**hole sailors for that matter, beautiful coves, flood stage conditions, drought conditions, islands that appear and disappear, nude beaches, pirates... pirates?... well make sure you lock up your boat, a**hole marina managers... just like in the real sailing world.
I lived aboard and sailed there for many years and, being a fifth generation cedar chopper, often miss it... gotta love that fresh water!!
Good luck... and stay flexible

mm
mangomuffins is offline   Reply With Quote