Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-10-2018, 15:47   #1

Forum Newbie!

Hi All!

I just joined this forum. I don't have a boat, but thinking about it. I do have quite a bit of boating experience. I spent lots of time on Texas lakes in the summer as a kid having fun with inboard/outboard runabouts and bass boats.

While living in Southern California, I joined a sailing club in Newport Beach and would charter sloops from 27 to 45 feet, and made several crossings for long weekends moored to a buoy in Catalina Harbor.

During a few years living in Pacific Grove, CA, I crewed on a racing sloop in weekly regattas, but I found there to be too much yelling and cursing! I sail to chill!

Finally, using my sailing experience, in 1999 after spending a day with a captain, I was able to do a week-long bareboat cruise aboard a 48-foot motor yacht in the U.S and British Virgin Islands with my family. It was the best vacation EVER and I would love to do it again, or maybe in the Greek Isles some day.

Back in 2005, in my mid-40s, I had a job I could do from almost anywhere, so I sold my house (before the housing crash!) and full-timed in a 40-foot Monaco Diesel Pusher motorhome for over 10 years until I needed to use it to hang out near my aging Mom and take care of her.

This was in southeast Texas, and Harvey claimed my motorhome and my dear Mom passed earlier this year, so I am re-evaluating my life and where to go from here.

I joined this forum to learn some of the ins and outs of live-aboard boats. I plan to do some searching and reading before I start asking questions already answered. I spent enough time on RV forums to know that annoys some people!

But as I hope here, those RV forums were a wealth of knowledge, and I was glad to help others based on my knowledge and experience.

See you on the docks!
tkcas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2018, 16:00   #2

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc
Re: Forum Newbie!

Gidday mate and welcome to the forum. I'm sure you'll find it interesting and helpful.
Old 29-10-2018, 02:24   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, tkcas.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2018, 09:50   #4

Boat: Lagoon 400 catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkcas View Post
Hi All!

I just joined this forum. I don't have a boat, but thinking about it. I do have quite a bit of boating experience. I spent lots of time on Texas lakes in the summer as a kid having fun with inboard/outboard runabouts and bass boats.

While living in Southern California, I joined a sailing club in Newport Beach and would charter sloops from 27 to 45 feet, and made several crossings for long weekends moored to a buoy in Catalina Harbor.

During a few years living in Pacific Grove, CA, I crewed on a racing sloop in weekly regattas, but I found there to be too much yelling and cursing! I sail to chill!

Finally, using my sailing experience, in 1999 after spending a day with a captain, I was able to do a week-long bareboat cruise aboard a 48-foot motor yacht in the U.S and British Virgin Islands with my family. It was the best vacation EVER and I would love to do it again, or maybe in the Greek Isles some day.

Back in 2005, in my mid-40s, I had a job I could do from almost anywhere, so I sold my house (before the housing crash!) and full-timed in a 40-foot Monaco Diesel Pusher motorhome for over 10 years until I needed to use it to hang out near my aging Mom and take care of her.

This was in southeast Texas, and Harvey claimed my motorhome and my dear Mom passed earlier this year, so I am re-evaluating my life and where to go from here.

I joined this forum to learn some of the ins and outs of live-aboard boats. I plan to do some searching and reading before I start asking questions already answered. I spent enough time on RV forums to know that annoys some people!

But as I hope here, those RV forums were a wealth of knowledge, and I was glad to help others based on my knowledge and experience.

See you on the docks!
Welcome!
Smart555 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rum