Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-07-2022, 22:12   #16

Formosa 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by fijicalling View Post
Thanks Skipperpete. Ours isn't the center cockpit but some useful thoughts there. What made the new Yanmar engine difficult to fit? There seems to be plenty of room there. The generator has been removed which might be making it appear that way though.

Only the usual considerations, the Ford and Velvetdrive is a long package so one choice was between putting the new engine way aft and using the existing shaft or mounting it at the front of the beds and extending the shaft. In the original, the Borg Warner was very inaccessible and fairly tight in the turn of the bilge so,....... new shaft and a better shaft seal. The exhaust was 3” but the outlet on the new engine turbo.....90mm. Could’a been worse , the more powerful STE has 120 mm outlet
Initially thought I had a huge problem with the shaft angle and the down angle gearbox on the Yanmar but the 4 LHA engine is exempt from the Yanmar “0°down at the front “ rule , I missed that bit of info....but changed to a straight out gear box and later found out Yanmar allow as much as 7° down at the front. Oh, the old Lehman drove other stuff off the front pulley and the Yanmar was limited there too but the eutectic refrigeration got replaced leaving a big frame alternator and the water maker pump ( with a plan to later fit an electrically driven pump).
As I said before, all the usual things that are measured and allowed for but make the job a whole lot longer and more expensive.
The Captain Ron boat looks like an easier engine extraction job!
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2022, 22:54   #17

Re: Formosa 51

Have you considered a rebuild insitu, it is a ford Lehman after all. Great motors. Otherwise strip it down to bare block and you should be able to manhandle it out without too much trouble. New or recon motor would have to come in as a short block and assemble in place. Much easier than adding a skylight.
Ballsnall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2022, 12:32   #18

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Re: Formosa 51

Welcome.

I would suggest updating your profile with your general location and your boat make & model or “Looking” in the "Boat" category. This info shows up under your UserName in every post in the web view. Many questions are boat and/or location dependent and having these tidbits under your UserName saves answering those questions repeatedly. If you need help setting up your profile then click on this link: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3308797

I would happily help more if the link above is not enough.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
formosa