Cruisers Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2019, 06:23   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2019
Boat: 1981 Flying Dutchman FD-12
Posts: 10
flying dutchman fd-12

Hello,
I just joined the forum and recently purchased a flying dutchman fd-12. Looking for anyone who also owns an FD and knows how you can tell what what number boat it is in the production order?

Still working on getting everything working, hope to sail the boat this spring.
Thx
Doug:
Flyingfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 07:23   #2
Senior Cruiser
 
GordMay's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario - 48-29N x 89-20W
Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Posts: 47,076
Images: 241
Re: flying dutchman fd-12

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Doug.
Review ➥ https://www.practical-sailor.com/rev...12-1176-1.html
__________________
Gord May
"If you didn't have the time or money to do it right in the first place, when will you get the time/$ to fix it?"



GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 08:09   #3
Registered User
 
Tayana42's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Long Beach, CA
Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
Posts: 2,783
Re: flying dutchman fd-12

The FD 12 was built by Tayana. Contact Wilson Chang at Ta-Yang Shipyard.
tayangco@ms15.hinet.net
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 17:33   #4
registered user
 
HankOnthewater's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: west australia
Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)
Posts: 932
Re: flying dutchman fd-12

I have a soft spot for these boats (except for their rear end). There are at least 4 FD12 owners active on the forum. Here are some links to threads. You could contact owners by clicking on their name and then sending a PM (private message)
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ts-139236.html
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...on-209622.html
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...12-206545.html
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ft-200865.html
__________________
Wishing you all sunny skies above, clear water below, gentle winds behind and a safe port ahead,
and when coming this way check https://www.cruiserswiki.org/wiki/Albany,_Australia
HankOnthewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2019, 22:38   #5
Moderator
 
Don C L's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Channel Islands, CA
Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Posts: 12,526
Images: 58
Re: flying dutchman fd-12

Welcome aboard, Doug!
__________________
DL
Pythagoras
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2021, 11:12   #6
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Pt Roberts, WA
Boat: FD12 50'
Posts: 4
Re: flying dutchman fd-12

Hi Doug,

A belated welcome to the world of FD-12s. We are hull #6, SV Noah, manufactured in 1979 and loved by us since 1985. It appears that your question was never answered in the forum. If you are still wondering take a look at the cap rail on your beautiful stern. It should have a hull ID burned into the wood. It starts TYA then tells you year constructed and the final number is a two digit hull number. For instance ours is 06.

We look forward to future contact,

SV Noah
Kellie & Terry
Pt Roberts, WA
SVNoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2021, 11:38   #7
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2019
Boat: 1981 Flying Dutchman FD-12
Posts: 10
Re: flying dutchman fd-12

Hello! Good to hear from a fellow FD-12. You helped us figure it out. We are hull#20, built in 1981. We go the boat 2 years ago. Have been fixing it up. Only go it out once for diesel. This summer we plan on a lot of sailing. We may have questions to ask since we have not sailed it.

S/V Daydreamer
Doug & Kathleen
Jersey City, NJ
Flyingfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2021, 11:51   #8
Registered User
 
Cheechako's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Skagit City, WA
Posts: 24,784
Re: flying dutchman fd-12

Wow, Years ago I used to drool over the FD12 when I first got into sailing!
__________________
"I spent most of my money on Booze, Broads and Boats. The rest I wasted" - Elmore Leonard











Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2021, 13:58   #9
Registered User
 
phorvati's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Rhode Island
Boat: Tayana FD-12
Posts: 1,094
Images: 6
Re: flying dutchman fd-12

I went through a lot on mine since 2016. Mainly rotten bulkheads, rusty chainplates and leaky fuel tanks. Ford Lehman install was a sh*tshow. But I'm very happy now. She is in Beaufort for the winter. I'm in RI in the summer. I've been doing up and down the eastern coast the past two seasons. These boats a solid, especially in heavy weather. Im still breaking her in after a refit, and finding out what she can really do.
phorvati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2021, 14:25   #10
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Pt Roberts, WA
Boat: FD12 50'
Posts: 4
Re: flying dutchman fd-12

It is a small FD world! We last saw DayDreamer in San Carlos, Mexico in 2012. John and Diane had her for sale then, but I think there must have been an owner in between them and you. At that time she was extremely well fitted out from all of their extensive blue water cruising.

Feel free to reach out. Over the years we have repaired / replaced / upgraded nearly everything on Noah. Lol, we keep saying that, but there is always something else. After 40+ years we are trying to decide if we are going to replace the new decks with teak or simply fiberglass.

@phorvati - wow, you have had a project! Weve heard of others that were over stressed and bulk heads pulled loose then settled back in. Rot could certainly set in if not attended to. Glad you restored her.

Fair winds everyone, feel free to reach out,

SV Noah
Kellie & Terry
(You can reach us directly at our boat name (with sv and no spaces) @hotmail)
SVNoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 04:17   #11
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2019
Boat: 1981 Flying Dutchman FD-12
Posts: 10
Re: flying dutchman fd-12

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorvati View Post
I went through a lot on mine since 2016. Mainly rotten bulkheads, rusty chainplates and leaky fuel tanks. Ford Lehman install was a sh*tshow. But I'm very happy now. She is in Beaufort for the winter. I'm in RI in the summer. I've been doing up and down the eastern coast the past two seasons. These boats a solid, especially in heavy weather. Im still breaking her in after a refit, and finding out what she can really do.
Hi Kellie and Terry,
Did you replace the mast tangs?
I am looking to have the standing rigging redone and not sure where to get parts for the tangs.
Doug
Flyingfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 04:25   #12
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2019
Boat: 1981 Flying Dutchman FD-12
Posts: 10
Re: flying dutchman fd-12

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorvati View Post
I went through a lot on mine since 2016. Mainly rotten bulkheads, rusty chainplates and leaky fuel tanks. Ford Lehman install was a sh*tshow. But I'm very happy now. She is in Beaufort for the winter. I'm in RI in the summer. I've been doing up and down the eastern coast the past two seasons. These boats a solid, especially in heavy weather. Im still breaking her in after a refit, and finding out what she can really do.
Hello,
Doug and Kathy here.
I thinking about having the standing rigging replaced and wanted to know if you did the same and did you have to replace any of the mast tangs?
I am not sure what mast i have and where I would get parts.
Also, we have the ford lehman 61hp - so far so good I am going to do an oil analysis this week. The motor was rebuilt in 2005 so who knows. At 3500 rpm the temp is at 195 Fahrenheit, if i go a little higher in rpm the temp increases. I have seen on the web other people having the same issue. Did you replace your motor?
Take care,
Doug
doug.kovalsky@gmail.com
917-299-2257
Flyingfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 04:26   #13
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2019
Boat: 1981 Flying Dutchman FD-12
Posts: 10
Re: flying dutchman fd-12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingfd View Post
Hi Kellie and Terry,
Did you replace the mast tangs?
I am looking to have the standing rigging redone and not sure where to get parts for the tangs.
Doug
Hello,
Doug and Kathy here.
I thinking about having the standing rigging replaced and wanted to know if you did the same and did you have to replace any of the mast tangs?
I am not sure what mast i have and where I would get parts.
Also, we have the ford lehman 61hp - so far so good I am going to do an oil analysis this week. The motor was rebuilt in 2005 so who knows. At 3500 rpm the temp is at 195 Fahrenheit, if i go a little higher in rpm the temp increases. I have seen on the web other people having the same issue. Did you replace your motor?
Take care,
Doug
doug.kovalsky@gmail.com
917-299-2257
Flyingfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 11:07   #14
Registered User
 
phorvati's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Rhode Island
Boat: Tayana FD-12
Posts: 1,094
Images: 6
Re: flying dutchman fd-12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingfd View Post
Hello,
Doug and Kathy here.
I thinking about having the standing rigging replaced and wanted to know if you did the same and did you have to replace any of the mast tangs?
I am not sure what mast i have and where I would get parts.
Also, we have the ford lehman 61hp - so far so good I am going to do an oil analysis this week. The motor was rebuilt in 2005 so who knows. At 3500 rpm the temp is at 195 Fahrenheit, if i go a little higher in rpm the temp increases. I have seen on the web other people having the same issue. Did you replace your motor?
Take care,
Doug
doug.kovalsky@gmail.com
917-299-2257
I replaced everything. Tangs are generally not an issue. They are high, away from salt spray, and drain downward so no water accumulation. I would try to take them apart and hopefully you have more luck than me (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...st-201200.html). Then buff them on scotchbright wheel, then polish to expose cracks and magnalfux to verify. If you have cracks then you need a rigger to make them. Any rigging shop will do but they will be custom.

Your bigger issues might be...
1. check stay chainplates (they are on a such an acute angle that they pull on the bulkhead a lot. Runners would be better suited as they would have a better angle). My port checkstay bulkhead was rotted out(see mixture of pics). I had to re-glass full 1" worth of that bulkhead and taper it into healthy sections of the bulkhead down lower to the hull. I had to dismantle the navstation for that.

2. main shroud chainplates either did not terminate by glassing into the hull (early models), or that termination was half-assed and the beautiful teak carpentry built over that so that you could never go in and inspect and service the attachment. as a result of how that was built, it all rotted out. That was a lot of work to do properly. I attached few photos.

3. That bow "concoction". That shovel piece and the welded bow roller along with the triangle plate where head stay terminates. I had to replace and re-fabricate all that new. It was a lot of work. Think about it, 30-40 years worth of waves washing over that crappy chinese stainless.

For me it took close to 18 months worth of fabricating then polishing from raw metal to mirror finish. All my new stuff I got at mcmaster with certificate.

Now I keep en eye on all those. Some leaks are still there, although less, and I go and clean off the salt and inspect all my chaniplates after every offshore trip.

btw, i just got back from NC home to RI (yesterday). Took us 4 days. I am still a bit oozy, skinny, hungry, and tired. It was a rough and cold trip.


I'll gladly share my other issues I ran into like the engine, electronics, windlass, waterlogged hull, etc. This boat was hit by lightning twice and most of the stuff was fried. (accept for Marine Air AC and northern lights generator)


Petar
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20161030_125026.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	399.8 KB
ID:	236257   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161029_105823.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	420.6 KB
ID:	236258  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20161112_141808.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	368.6 KB
ID:	236259   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161023_160204.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	417.7 KB
ID:	236260  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170208_123459.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	403.0 KB
ID:	236261   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161129_213534.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	422.0 KB
ID:	236263  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20171015_100557.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	405.5 KB
ID:	236264   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170813_152452.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	357.5 KB
ID:	236265  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20171029_235945.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	419.2 KB
ID:	236266   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180526_143524.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	415.2 KB
ID:	236267  

phorvati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 06:10   #15
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2019
Boat: 1981 Flying Dutchman FD-12
Posts: 10
Re: flying dutchman fd-12

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorvati View Post
I replaced everything. Tangs are generally not an issue. They are high, away from salt spray, and drain downward so no water accumulation. I would try to take them apart and hopefully you have more luck than me (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...st-201200.html). Then buff them on scotchbright wheel, then polish to expose cracks and magnalfux to verify. If you have cracks then you need a rigger to make them. Any rigging shop will do but they will be custom.

Your bigger issues might be...
1. check stay chainplates (they are on a such an acute angle that they pull on the bulkhead a lot. Runners would be better suited as they would have a better angle). My port checkstay bulkhead was rotted out(see mixture of pics). I had to re-glass full 1" worth of that bulkhead and taper it into healthy sections of the bulkhead down lower to the hull. I had to dismantle the navstation for that.

2. main shroud chainplates either did not terminate by glassing into the hull (early models), or that termination was half-assed and the beautiful teak carpentry built over that so that you could never go in and inspect and service the attachment. as a result of how that was built, it all rotted out. That was a lot of work to do properly. I attached few photos.

3. That bow "concoction". That shovel piece and the welded bow roller along with the triangle plate where head stay terminates. I had to replace and re-fabricate all that new. It was a lot of work. Think about it, 30-40 years worth of waves washing over that crappy chinese stainless.

For me it took close to 18 months worth of fabricating then polishing from raw metal to mirror finish. All my new stuff I got at mcmaster with certificate.

Now I keep en eye on all those. Some leaks are still there, although less, and I go and clean off the salt and inspect all my chaniplates after every offshore trip.

btw, i just got back from NC home to RI (yesterday). Took us 4 days. I am still a bit oozy, skinny, hungry, and tired. It was a rough and cold trip.


I'll gladly share my other issues I ran into like the engine, electronics, windlass, waterlogged hull, etc. This boat was hit by lightning twice and most of the stuff was fried. (accept for Marine Air AC and northern lights generator)


Petar
Hi Petar,
The work you did is amazing. Hopefully i don't have to go that far yet. I sealed all of the deck joints and everything looks good. I attached a picture of my tang which is different than your setup. Who would you recommend for the stainless fabrication? Also, did you repower your motor, if so what did you end up with? Its a great boat we just motor sailed her for the first time and it was awesome.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Douglas Kovalsky - cleaned up lower tang 1.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	236317   Click image for larger version

Name:	Douglas Kovalsky - cleaned up lower tang 2.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	236318  

Flyingfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re-power Flying Dutchman FD-12 Hoghead Engines and Propulsion Systems 19 08-05-2018 01:06
For Sale: Tayana Flying Dutchman 50 Hoghead Boats For Sale and Wanted 3 05-01-2018 21:08
Repower Flying Dutchman- how much is needed/wanted Hoghead Engines and Propulsion Systems 0 10-05-2017 00:53
Tayana Flying Dutchman 50 comments Hoghead Monohull Sailboats 21 18-11-2016 06:02
1954 Flying Dutchman in North Carolina bentothewynd Meets & Greets 4 29-12-2009 01:12

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 13:59.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.