Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2009, 18:35   #46
cruiser

Most of the women who have jumped aboard my boat, with this single male, have kept comming back. Many have began talking about getting their own boat to enjoy the lifestyle. One single mother brought her 3 and 5 year old daughter with her, for weeks at a time. They have sailed with me right thu their teen years and never refused to show up. The oldest , now in her mid twenties , brings her four year old daughter with her. I aspire to take the four year olds grand children sailing someday. Couldn't have been all that bad.
Brent
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 23:39   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by procrew4u View Post
ex-calif from what I remember you race a J-24 in Singapore, DO YOU SHOWER? If by chance you have had a bad run-in with a stinky sailor, then look at a mirror before the key board. I race and live in a very well known sailing town and I have yet to smell a unshowered racer, Let's get a grip on what we write about others, we are here to encourage people, not scare them, So sail on and have fun. And remember; stinky or not, they might be the one that saves your life.
I guess my feeble attempt at humor missed the mark.

Yes I do race J24's - We came in 3rd in the Singapore Nationals last month - thanks for asking

And really after 2+ years of racing all kinds of boats I can faithfully attest that post racing vs. post cruising, racing sailors win the stinky test hands down.

It's a sport, people sweat, their deoderant gives up, then they stink, I can't believe I am typing this. I understand the idea of not offending special interest groups but as a racer myself is it even possible for me to insult racers?

Oh and BTW - I shower on Thursdays... That's the day they let racing sailors out of their cages and we go to town to terrorize the locals.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 05:04   #48

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
Meanwhile, poor Barbara is still looking for someone to take her sailing in Florida.
Tempest245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 05:45   #49

Boat: Mirage 27 in Toronto; Wright 10 in Auckland
Barbara: Boy, did you open a can of worms! The usual response to a new member's self-intro is two posts saying hi and welcome aboard. For the record, Hi. And welcome aboard. Connemara
Connemara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 06:12   #50

Boat: Privilege 37
Barbara

also a belated welcome.

There has been one other post that that recommends a start on a dinghy. This is normally the cheapest introduction to sailing. It also is a faster teacher of the theory of interaction of sails and wind, as a dinghy reacts much faster to something done incorrectly.
Old 09-01-2009, 06:43   #51

Ex-Calif does have a point, racing sailors tend not to shower!! With long distance racing you just want to get through it, showering is the least of your concerns.
O2addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 08:10   #52

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Barbera says she wants to learn how to sail....but the tread says Florida girl looking for adventure

I'm not sure dingy sailing is what she had in mind.

My advice...crew with some bunch of dreamers heading off to paradise.

Live...live...live...
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 08:18   #53

Boat: Westsail 32
I wonder if ths had been an "Able-Bodied" male if it would have received as much attention?
cburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 08:26   #54

Boat: Was - Passport 45 Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
I guess my feeble attempt at humor missed the mark.

Yes I do race J24's - We came in 3rd in the Singapore Nationals last month - thanks for asking

And really after 2+ years of racing all kinds of boats I can faithfully attest that post racing vs. post cruising, racing sailors win the stinky test hands down.

It's a sport, people sweat, their deoderant gives up, then they stink, I can't believe I am typing this. I understand the idea of not offending special interest groups but as a racer myself is it even possible for me to insult racers?

Oh and BTW - I shower on Thursdays... That's the day they let racing sailors out of their cages and we go to town to terrorize the locals.
ROFLMAO.......
Kanani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 10:56   #55

Boat: Endeavour 37
Welcome aboard. I mostly definately agree with the other posters concerning your physical safety, but a simple background check should help you resolve that, along with a vita and references. A skipper who objects may have something to hide. Also, gut feelings are more often correct, so commonse sense and little leg work, should help you resolve that issue. My girlfriend are heading south in three years and to help us get ready we joined the local Sail and Power Squadron who offer a great many classes, from Seamanship, Celestail Navigation, Piloting, Sailing and Cruing classes. They very from 6 weeks to several months for the advanced classes, once week at night. You get some certifiction accepted by insurance to help reduce your premiums for that marvelous day you get a boat of your one. The cost is realatively in expensive, $50 annual dues and $40 per class. Further, you might meet and be able to get to know some who has a plans for taking off and needs a mate. If not you'll meet many a boater with lots of milage under their keels briming with knowedge and happy to share it. Good luck. My girlfriend also said you come with us but she also mentioned a pine box, so lets not go there. Fair winds fair lady and fellow adventure.
pjop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 12:47   #56

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by cburger View Post
I wonder if ths had been an "Able-Bodied" male if it would have received as much attention?

I dont know...Lets give it a try.

Able bodied Male..has boat ..looking for adventure...OUCH!!!...

Never mind...wife just hit me with rolling pin.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida