Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2012, 07:28   #16

Boat: 48' steel cutter
Re: First trip to the Bahamas

I would leave from Biscayne Bay. There is a little harbor on South Biscayne everybody uses for their last anchorage in FL before jumping off. It's been a while, can't recall the name offhand, but it's well known. It's part of a state or national park. From there, Bimini is easy. Just factor in the northward drift, so your course should not be directly to Bimini, but "crabbing" a bit for the offset.

As far as the dingy, I would NOT tow across the Gulfstream. Too iffy. I'd deflate the rib and put it on deck where ever I could. Once in Bimini, go ahead and tow it around the Bahamas, but leave it's self-bailing drain hole open to clear out spray, otherwise it can fill up with water and get very, very heavy, putting too much stress on your towline, and especially on the bow ring which is essentially just glued to the bow of the RIB. If you have a ring bolted through the fiberglass, that is stronger. If not, attach your tow line not only to the bow ring, but to your side carry handles, and then to your transom. Let the bow ring just be the "guide" for the bridle which will will absorb the forces through the side carry handles, and back to the transom.

With the drain hole open and a good towing bridle, you will have no trouble in the Bahamas. But for the Gulfstream, I'd put the RIB on deck for sure.
Travis McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 10:29   #17

No Name Harbor. It probably is a little much trying to get to the Exumas on a 2 week trip in a smaller boat. Put the dingy on deck. Assuming you have GPS, you wil find you need to head maybe 35 degrees off course initially, then it will gradually decrease as you cross.... Does you GPS show your track vs course? just adjust accordingly. Be flexible about your destinations based on your progress.... also.... add a bow ring to the fiberglass part of yor RIB if you dont already have one...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 11:23   #18

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

No Name is the worst place to anchor on Key Biscayne although many like to anchor there. It is crowded usually with folks that don't know how to anchor. On top of all that they charge you for overnight anchoring. You're better off anchoring off Nixons or in Hurricane Harbor.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:40   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Cross to West End Clear in Go on Bahama Time,crossing the Little Bahama Bank is a snapplus if weather gets bad Great Sail offers protection,and you can snorkle and swim there,A days run to Powell Key Nice anchorage without going farther the Green Turtle there is a Lot to do and see.You will stay mostly in protected water and have Good Anchorages,meet lots of Folks and have fun.If weather is good and you want a quicker route home Go off shore at N bar channell around Down thru Nassau and the Big Bahma bank You'll get Pleanty of sailing almost a reach the whole way,Did the circut years ago in 2 and 1/2 weeks.

Have Fun
casual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:48   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis McGee
I would leave from Biscayne Bay. There is a little harbor on South Biscayne everybody uses for their last anchorage in FL before jumping off. It's been a while, can't recall the name offhand, but it's well known. It's part of a state or national park. From there, Bimini is easy. Just factor in the northward drift, so your course should not be directly to Bimini, but "crabbing" a bit for the offset.

As far as the dingy, I would NOT tow across the Gulfstream. Too iffy. I'd deflate the rib and put it on deck where ever I could. Once in Bimini, go ahead and tow it around the Bahamas, but leave it's self-bailing drain hole open to clear out spray, otherwise it can fill up with water and get very, very heavy, putting too much stress on your towline, and especially on the bow ring which is essentially just glued to the bow of the RIB. If you have a ring bolted through the fiberglass, that is stronger. If not, attach your tow line not only to the bow ring, but to your side carry handles, and then to your transom. Let the bow ring just be the "guide" for the bridle which will will absorb the forces through the side carry handles, and back to the transom.

With the drain hole open and a good towing bridle, you will have no trouble in the Bahamas. But for the Gulfstream, I'd put the RIB on deck for sure.

What are your thoughts on bringing protection so to speak on my boat. Are we talking about relatively safe waters for traveling? Pirates etc.
Hwphysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:59   #21

Safe as you're gonna get..... probably safer than Florida!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 16:27   #22

Boat: 48' steel cutter

Safer than FL for sure, but I'd still take a firearm if it's still legal. I've sailed far and wide the past 20 years, but it's been that long since I sailed in the Bahamas. Now I'm back in FL (haven't updated my data) and hope to get back to the Bahamas, my favorite sailing and cruising place anywhere.
Travis McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 18:07   #23

Boat: 58

We always carry a 9mm. Declare it upon entry along with the number of rounds. I feel very comfortable in the Bahamas. My concern was always the crossings.

Ken
missnmountains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2012, 14:36   #24

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
good to have you here.
kind regards,

Tags
Bahamas