Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2008, 19:49   #46

MsS

I live in southern Westchester which is quite close to Greenwich and the boat lives out in Greenport/shelter Island. Thanks for the compliment, but I am not as clever as I should be. I'll be working on the bottom this weekend. And hope to splash in a few weeks.

I am single handed sailor out of necessity. When I fell in love with sailing I needed to get my hands on a boat more than run with a sailing crowd. So before I know it, I was in the boat I now have and have had since 85, but I had to learn how to do everything without help or I couldn't sail! Necessity is the mother of invention and so I became a single handed sailor and I have done most, but not all of my sailing essentially with no skilled crew. Land lubbers are often worse than sailing alone, because in addition to sailing the boat you have to watch out for the land lubbers who could hurt themselves, the boat or both. Landlubbers on board are not very relaxing.

However some can stay out of the way, provide company and maybe even do things like make coffee and a wee bit of watch keeping so I can go below when there ARE boats around... type thing.

But having sailors aboard is a real pleasure and something I don't get to experience too much. This is very different from the thrilled to be on a boat land lubber and I always enjoy a sailor aboard for almost anything from a meal and chat to a sail. So my offer to sail is real.

Sully:

Here's a guy I love for his smarts and enthusiasm for boats and he is the only member I have actually seen. It was up in Newport when his generator was driving me batty and I was trying to figure out how to tell him to shut the thing off. Noise is one of my pet peeves. I like quiet or the sounds of nature. Anyway, the next morning I was walking my two dogs with one name - Bellibo and came across a dink on the beach and being the observant sailor that I am it looked like Sully's dink and I towed it back to my boat to enjoy the breakfast my wife had prepared. So my friend Sully, now on a search and recovery mission is motoring off in his ship downwind to see if he could spot his dink and low and behold he spies it tied to my boat next to mine. This was quite early in the AM and he immediately thinks I stole his dink and starts circling my boat and making all sorts of noise to get me up on deck to accuse me of stealing his dink, which of course was not true as I only intended to claim salvage and return it to him with his vow of generator silence when I was anchored near by.

He insisted on getting that dink back right then and there and maneuvered along side in the 20 knots or so of breeze being careful not to let the topside touch as I handed the painter to his lovely wife. Sully thought I took his dink as a practical joke. hahahaha. My pancakes were cold and his parting shot was that ""I owe you one". I am still waiting! But I intend to hold him to it when he passes my neighborhood on the way to Maine.

All I can say about Sully, is that I would make him sign a contract! hahahaa

Seriously, though, I think it might be a good experience for you helping him move his new boat. He's a good and prudent sailor (at least from what he writes here) hahaha. I am looking forward to sailing on his new boat. (Wonder if he has the old dink?)

Fair winds and following seas!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000052.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	3341   Click image for larger version

Name:	P7310025.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	3342  

Click image for larger version

Name:	P9070031_renamed_30076.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	3343  
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2008, 15:50   #47
cruiser

I think this post might have been a fake or somebody just playing around.

I sent a huge bio, pictures of boats & wife & self, planned delivery schedule, etc... etc... etc... Put in at least half an hour puttting it together and didn't even get a response. Pretty lame, huh?
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2008, 18:54   #48

The internets, ya never know, ya never know. I don't believe anyone until I see the whites of their eyes.

Bottom is painted and they are set to splash me next week. Gotta get the sail on, clean the dink and so forth and finish my head project and I'm good to go. No mooring yet! hahaha
Old 23-04-2008, 18:56   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mermaidserena View Post
Where are these alleged horny old men!? I haven't been able to find myself a good one in a long time! I actually have been planning a return trip to San Fran this year! I try to get out there at least once a year! Every time I go back east my heart aches for that crisp SanFran air! I would be thrilled to find someone to take me on a day sail! I have to be careful ( petite woman travelling alone and all) Don't want to end up being some crazy sailors dinner, I will depend on the folks in the forum for a good recommendation on someone to sail with or a nice horny old man! LOL

SErena
Mermaid,
Get yourself on the Latitude 38's crew list. This can be done at Latitude 38's website.

Latitude 38 - The West's Premier Sailing and Marine Magazine

David

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2008, 19:16   #50

This definitely needs to be reported to the police. The boat may be a hazard to navigation, for one thing. I'm sure it would be illegal to deliberately sink a boat anyway. The EPA would most likely want to prosecute the guy too. Make him pay.

Best of luck finding a boat to crew on too.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2008, 19:28   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
This definitely needs to be reported to the police. The boat may be a hazard to navigation, for one thing. I'm sure it would be illegal to deliberately sink a boat anyway. The EPA would most likely want to prosecute the guy too. Make him pay.

Excellent point cruisingcat! It is illegal to dispose of plastic any distance from shore. Tupperware boats certainly qualify.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2008, 22:14   #52

Boat: Islander 36
Slomotion.

"All sailors drink rum"?. Sorry. Does not fit here. Just never been a part of my life. Nothing about drink appeals to me. It is sad to me that it is seen as such a necessary part of boating, or life in general.
Minggat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2008, 23:08   #53

Ummm... guys? I think I might be with ssullivan on this one... I just read through the whole thread and something doesn't seem to add up. I try not to be overly suspicious, but a petite 29yo woman who loves to sail and is <i>single</i>? Apart from the guys who are in relationships... isn't this practically every man on here's fantasy? I would like to see a pic of Miss Mermaid, personally.

And mermaidserena, if my suspicions are not correct I humbly apologize.
soy_el_viento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2008, 00:37   #54

Boat: seawind II Patience
Mermaid

Sorry about boat/welcome site.Best of luck.marc
marc2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2008, 04:03   #55
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post

Yeah... this is a big farce. I mean if you look at the story too... it's kind of outlandish. Plus many of the post are rather incoherent.

Either she is real and OD'ed on something over the last weekend, or it's just someone playing around.

If a boat was scuttled with such drama right in CT, wouldn't we New England / New Yorkers have heard about it through the marinas?

Anyway, now some psycho has my information, pictures, bio, etc... great! lol

DefJef: No mooring??!? Uh oh! Good luck on that. I have a similar problem. I'm on a delivery with no destination yet. No anchorage suitable for my day charters. ha ha
Old 24-04-2008, 04:15   #56
Armchair Bucketeer

Another Mermaid gets away (Or a hairy ar#sed Canadian Lumberjack )

To be honest I would not have invited her aboard my boat - just in case ex boyfreind turned up / was invited.......strangulation and boat sinking, it's amazing / disturbing wot some women will forgive, and IMO bystanders best not involved with the next relationship downturn......
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2008, 04:23   #57
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Another Mermaid gets away (Or a hairy ar#sed Canadian Lumberjack )

To be honest I would not have invited her aboard my boat - just in case ex boyfreind turned up / was invited.......strangulation and boat sinking, it's amazing / disturbing wot some women will forgive, and IMO bystanders best not involved with the next relationship downturn......
Eh... i wasn't worried about the fictional guy in the story. I don't go to docks.
Old 24-04-2008, 04:26   #58

Sully,.

They are late in getting the moorings and the floating docks in place. Dunno why because with weather like this week sailing is wonderful. There are yacht club moorings I can grab, but my special rigged one for my bow eye won't be set for a while.

You live aboard to you can anchor. I have to leave the boat unattended 100 miles from home since I don't have the pleasure of living aboard... I need a reliable mooring.

I think with people on the net you assume they are real, but don't get too exercised over it all. Many turn out to be wankers and crankers and play with people who take everything at face value.

Life is short and then you die.
Old 24-04-2008, 04:57   #59
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by defjef View Post
""I owe you one". I am still waiting! But I intend to hold him to it when he passes my neighborhood on the way to Maine.

All I can say about Sully, is that I would make him sign a contract! hahahaa!
I have to chime in on this. Sully did buy me the beers he owed me on his way through Florida. The slate is clean.... no contract was required.

Nice looking boat too.

As for the cutie from Connecticut. I think I've read her posts on here when she and the boyfriend were on the hard here in florida. The thing is, I believe she had a different screen name then. Oh well, easy come, easy go.
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2008, 07:39   #60

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"
Quote:
Originally Posted by soy_el_viento View Post
Ummm... guys? I think I might be with ssullivan on this one... I just read through the whole thread and something doesn't seem to add up. I try not to be overly suspicious, but a petite 29yo woman who loves to sail and is <i>single</i>? Apart from the guys who are in relationships... isn't this practically every man on here's fantasy? I would like to see a pic of Miss Mermaid, personally.

And mermaidserena, if my suspicions are not correct I humbly apologize.
She has a pic in her profile. Nice eyes, cute pup too.
CharlieCobra is offline   Reply With Quote