Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2021, 19:28   #1

Dutch Canal Sailing Barge "Neeltje"

Hello. I'd love to reach out to forum user "Neeltje." My name is Linda (Bouman) Snell, and I believe his 1902 Tjalk may have been owned and operated in the Rotterdam area in the 1910's-40's by my grandfather Marius Bouman and his sons (including my father). I assume he named her Neeltje after his daughter/my aunt. An artist's drawing I have of his canal barge in port in Rotterdam clearly shows her identification as both "Neeltje" and "M Bouman."

I'm too new to the forum to have private message privileges, so I need your help getting this message to "Neeltje." I'd love to compare notes and maybe come to see her (I live in Florida). Thanks! Linda
Dutch Barge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 06:59   #2

Re: Dutch Canal Sailing Barge "Neeltje"

Welcome Aboard, Linda!

Now that sounds like an intriguing exchange! Haven't seen Neeltje pop up on Forum threads, however.

Do post a few times (I think the number may be 10...?) and then you'll be able to send a PM - which hopefully will forward a copy to Neeltje's email so they'll have a notification.

EDIT: I stand corrected! While I was posting this message, Neeltje was reviewing this thread. Cool. Hope the two of you can connect. By the way, any cool pictures you can post of the boat in your Granda's day?

Fair winds!
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 07:16   #3

Thanks. Hoping to connect with Neeltje. I did get permission to send a private message, so look there for more details, Neeltje. Since I posted this, I found a note from my uncle that he tracked the Neeltje to Baltimore, where the Canrights owned her. He corrected my original assumption that she was named for my aunt—seems like she was named for my great great aunt. My grandfather’s uncle was the original owner, and his mother was Neeltje.
Dutch Barge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 17:43   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hi, Dutch Barge:

Here's a link, to a thread by an owner of what may be Neeltje: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...or-127620.html

It was written quite a while ago, and I am not sure if it is what you are looking for. However, if you click on the person's avatar, two options are to send a PM or to send an e-mail to them. Possibly their e-mail address is still the same..... Haven't seen them around here for a long time.

Good luck with your search. Be patient.

Ann
Old 12-08-2021, 04:26   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Linda.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canal, sail, sailing