Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2019, 06:26   #16

Re: Dreaming of Cruising-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy2 View Post
Thanks for the words of wisdom. I can fully appreciate that this life choice is not for everyone, and that’s part of the attraction. Some solitude with the sea.

At the advice of everyone in here we have decided to try and charter. Not sure how different it will be than staying on our 38’ powerboat but that’s the advice given and that’s why I am here.

If anyone knows of a reasonable cat charter in FL the week 4/14-4/20 please let me know-
Open to location- some preferred would be keys/ south fl, St Augustine or St pete Areas- but again very open to locations.
Thanks
I use Virgin Island Sailing for my charter broker (visailing.com). They're in West Chapel, FL and can provide charter options pretty much anywhere. The cost for the charter is the same as going direct through a charter company. While the charter company pays the broker fee, I have not found that the charter company will drop their price if you don't use a broker. Many of the companies they recommend will provider a skipper or have a sailing school associated with them, which allows you to charter and learn at the same time.
leboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2019, 08:33   #17

Boat: FP Salina 48, Hobie 33

Welcome Hoppy2

I'm currently a year out from untying the lines. Bought the boat a year ago, and I'm working on getting it ready to go. It's a slow process as I live in Kansas and the boat lives in Florida, but I'm making it work.

The sail away bug bit me more than 15 years ago, and I've been working toward that goal ever since. But in that time there has never been any delusion about the hardship of cruising life. There are a lot of great things to do and see when you live on a boat, but for every wonderful thing you see on your favorite youtube channel, there are at least two things that suck. Having never done it, I still believe the good outweigh the bad, but that could change. We have a 10 year plan to sail the world, but with the caveat of "as long as it's fun". If it's no fun after two years, we ditch it all and go back to solid ground. If ten years flies by and we're still having fun, we keep going.

Here are a few of the things I've done to prepare myself for cruising. Bought a small sail boat (Hobie 16, because I didn't know it's a terrible boat to learn to sail on) and figured out how to make it go. The Hobie had bad hulls and didn't last more than a couple years. Did a week long crash course through water sailing">Blue Water Sailing School to get ASA 101, 103, 104, and 114. Bought a 27 foot cruiser that needed complete gut and refit. Worked on it for a couple years and made all the boat repair mistakes known to man. In the end it turned out beautiful, and could weekend the whole family on it. Became very proficient sailing that boat, and would sail it in and out of the slip more often than not. Joined a race team, and I use the term "team" loosely. We raced, but the team consisted of the owner of the boat and me. I was a tired boy at the end of a race day doing the work of 2-3 crew, but I learned a ton. Took ASA 105 at the local sail shop. Started doing week long bareboat charters from Florida to Bimini, Bahamas. In all, I did 6 of these charters across the Gulf Stream, complete with North winds against the current and nasty squalls that gave us a hell of a beating. Did the boat shows several times over the years to look at the various features on boats I thought I wanted. Then, I bought a boat.

You could obviously compress this timeline substantially, as I certainly would have if I could, but it's hard to substitute the experience I've gained along the way. I don't think I would be prepared for the reality of cruising life without it.
Tornadosailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2019, 09:07   #18

Thank you,
That was very informative. I have not watched a lot of YouTube sailers but am thinking I should.

A guy I work with is a live aboard all summer a few slips down from my power boat- He sails to Bahamas in the winter. This is what started the dream. I have been out sailing with him but never been in charge of a sailing vessel.

Would you recommend the crash coarse or take them spaced out-
If I don’t find “my boat” I will pick up a project sailer for this year like you and learn the lines. I have done my fair share of repairs on my power boats so I am confident I can do most work needed.

Thanks again-
Hoppy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2019, 09:23   #19

Boat: FP Salina 48, Hobie 33

Quote:
Thank you,
That was very informative. I have not watched a lot of YouTube sailers but am thinking I should.

A guy I work with is a live aboard all summer a few slips down from my power boat- He sails to Bahamas in the winter. This is what started the dream. I have been out sailing with him but never been in charge of a sailing vessel.

Would you recommend the crash coarse or take them spaced out-
If I don’t find “my boat” I will pick up a project sailer for this year like you and learn the lines. I have done my fair share of repairs on my power boats so I am confident I can do most work needed.

Thanks again-
Not sure I can recommend one way or the other on the ASA courses. You obviously get more in depth instruction by spacing them out, but the week living aboard with an instructor on hand is valuable too. I guess it depends on how good you are at figuring it out on your own vs needing to be shown how to do things. I can generally figure stuff out, so the compressed classes worked for me.
Tornadosailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2019, 00:18   #20

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
Get a day sailer and learn to sail first.
I am a fan of this only if you are in an area where there are not sailing clubs. First you buy a boat and sail it that is good. But then you got to get rid of it and boats never appreciate they depreciate. And getting rid of an older boat may prove to be a real issue. We knew of one person who did that and then tried to sell it. Cost them a year of cruising when they just could not get rid of it and when they finally did they took a real hit.

Our first and only boat is a 40 Jeanneau DS40 that we bought new.

Second you live in an area where there are sailing clubs. Join them and pay the price. First you will meet sailors and get out on the water and learn. If they are good they will have lessons - BUT DO ASA _ and reinforce what you learned in ASA.

Save your money for the boat you want. And then try to charter once a year on various boats to get the feel of what makes a boat a boat.

Good luck
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2019, 00:42   #21

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

If you know yourself well enough to be HIGHLY and HARSHLY self-critical, you have a better chance... we three went against most advice, sold all our stuff, got rid of everything shore based, and moved entirely onto our first boat, along with our three kittens. 53 footer, very big for a first boat, but we were in no mood to do the starter boat thing and waste what money we had. We had never lived aboard at all before then, and though I sailed plenty in my past, the girls never did. But we know ourselves well, having lived and traveled very low in the past. We knew it would be amazing not only for the good times, but for the many challenges. They got trained, we found our dream boat, and almost a year later, we're happier than ever. I know many people bust out of this lifestyle when things get hard or don't match the youtube....only you can know if you'll be one of them, but it is quite possible to get it right, if you ask yourself all the hard questions first.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2019, 03:56   #22

Boat: Lagoon 400 catamaran

Hello Jeff!
We were in the same shoes a year ago! We’re family with 4 kids. We didn’t have sailing experience and dreamed of cruising life. Our only boating experience was limited by operating the powerboat.
And guess what! Now, after 9 month nonstop sailing around the Caribbean (now we’re in St.Thomas, USVI) at the moment and visiting almost 30 islands, our advice to you that if you really want this life everything is possible! Don’t hesitate and postpone to future! This life is worth to trying and we’re happy to venture to do so inspite of lots of doubts
Honestly after couple charters you can barely understand much about sailing. The best way is to live and learn )) we bought our boat and spent some time with sailing instructor before go on our own.
We made some video episodes. Maybe they will inspire you and help to make decision. Please check our YouTube channel and, if you have any questions, don’t hesitate!
Good luck!
Smart555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2019, 05:17   #23
CLOD

Boat: none

Personally I don't feel chartering really tells you anything about cruiser lifestyle and whether you will like it.
Old 30-01-2019, 05:46   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Personally I don't feel chartering really tells you anything about cruiser lifestyle and whether you will like it.

I guess I’m agreeing with Sailorboy again.
We didn’t Charter first cause it’s expensive, and secondly I believe it’s like going on a Honeymoon to determine if you think you would like Married life.
I don’t think it’s anything at all like cruising, of course you would like Chartering, it’s a vacation isn’t it?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2019, 06:15   #25

Boat: Lagoon 400 catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I guess I’m agreeing with Sailorboy again.
We didn’t Charter first cause it’s expensive, and secondly I believe it’s like going on a Honeymoon to determine if you think you would like Married life.
I don’t think it’s anything at all like cruising, of course you would like Chartering, it’s a vacation isn’t it?
Yeah, we totally agree!
Before we started cruising on our own we did a charter with captain for couple times. It’s a good way to spend some time but you barely could understand how it looks like in reality. It is more like entertainment but the real cruising everyday life onboard. For example, you wouldn’t have got an experience of having fun doing everyday boat maintenance in exotic locations Or managing challenging situations and making important quick decisions! Sailing life is not for all but it’s a really amazing way of life and excellent experience!
Smart555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 16:03   #26

Thank you for all the positivity. I like success stories and am certainly tired of the rat race here.
In a place where I’m ready and able to cast off very soon.
We have looked at chartering and the prices are 2-5000 goes a long way I. The cruiser kitty vs a week on someone else’s boat. We will be headed to south FL in April and hoping to set up a few boat viewings if we haven’t found one yet. We aren’t in such a rush that we will make a dumb purchase decision so the hunt continues.
Hope to see some of you out there some day!
Old 03-02-2019, 02:06   #27

Boat: Sigma Yachts, Sigma362, 36ft

I guess a lot will depend on what kind of lifestyle you are hoping to achieve. I found "Get Real, Get Gone" really helpful. I don't agree with everything in the book but it has a great deal of useful, common-sense and practical guidance. Link - https://amzn.to/2RyZvM7
SailMoonShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 14:49   #28

Thank you- book is ordered- I’m not looking for a lavash lifestyle and am willing to give up amenities but but want to be comfortable. Hoping to spend must of our time on the hook in clear turquoise water. [emoji2]
Old 05-02-2019, 03:48   #29

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

Quote:
Thank you for all the positivity. I like success stories and am certainly tired of the rat race here.
In a place where I’m ready and able to cast off very soon.
We have looked at chartering and the prices are 2-5000 goes a long way I. The cruiser kitty vs a week on someone else’s boat. We will be headed to south FL in April and hoping to set up a few boat viewings if we haven’t found one yet. We aren’t in such a rush that we will make a dumb purchase decision so the hunt continues.
Hope to see some of you out there some day!
I am assuming you have been to boat shows and looked at a lot of boats. We had the good fortunate to meet and work with a broker who showed us how to look at a boat. What is the difference between a Hunter and a Swan or a Hunter and Jeanneau (in full disclosure we sail and love our Jeanneau) or say a Catalina and a Bennie or you get the idea. Just like cars boats are not equal and each have their advantages and disadvantages.

I also assume you have done a bit of reading on boats. Make a list of what you want on a boat. We had 1 1/2 pages of things we wanted on a boat - out broker sat with us and went through the list with us and asked us why - it was great having to defend why we wanted each item if it was not evident - and listen to someone who had cruised on the value of each and what worked and what was a no go.

We got lucky with our broker and not all brokers are created equally. After we had purchased I took my son to a boat show and we were going through a boat and I asked if I could remove cushions, lift floor boards ect and explained to my son how this boat was put together vs my boat - as we went to go the guy who was on the boat and talking to visitors asked that I stay as he said he learned more in the past few minutes on the boat than anything. When we got off my son laughed and said did you pay the guy to say that and I said no some brokers are simply salesmen who really do not know their product and that was one.

good luck
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 17:56   #30

Boat: Norseman 447

Learning to sail is the easy part. After a few lessons, you’ll be able to handle the boat under benign conditions when nothing goes wrong. When things start to go wrong, you’ll hopefully quickly learn the truth of the old saw “Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.” Learn how to navigate safely without depending completely on electronics. Someday, someplace you’ll have to. Learn how everything on the boat works. Even if you’re rich enough to pay someone else to do the work, you need to be able to tell if they’re doing the right work in the right way. Learn to do things the hard way. Without a car, every provisioning run can be a labor-intensive adventure. Learn patience. In most places, overnight shipping is plural. Nothing will be quick, nothing will be easy. All advice will be biased, so you need to know who you’re comfortable listening to. Be prepared, for everything. There will often be cases where you don’t have help and will have to depend on your own resources. Don’t equip your boat with anything that you can’t fix, work-around or do without. Cruising full time is a whole lot different from sailing. Most of your time will be repairing your boat or living in a strange environment. Dealing with those will take up most of your time. It’s a lot of fun and a lot of work. You’ll never get bored because there’s always something that needs doing. And whatever needs doing will take more time and effort than you thought.
Bycrick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising