Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2017, 22:11   #1

Dove in head first.

So after buying a Bayliner buccaneer and having zero experience, I set off in the Puget sound to learn about sailing I have wanted to know so much about. Hours and hours of sailing videos on YouTube and plenty of scares where I thought I'd lose my boat and my mind, I finally got the hang of actual sailing. But unable to turn itself into the stronger winds of the Puget sound to properly tack, I decided to find something a bit bigger. I bought her for 1500 and with some work and a few upgraded things I sold her for 2,100. And that same day purchased my beloved Wolf Pack. (I'm a lover of the hangover movies) Wolf Pack is an Ericson 27. And so far I have traveled the sound extensively and just this last week made the greuling trip from Seattle Washington out of the sound into the straight and stressfully into the big blue. After reading much about the people who naysayed the boats capibilities always offset by Ericson fans saying they were completely able boats I decided to try for myself. Leaving port Angeles and hitting 4 to 6 foot wind waves at night and having to motor into a bay 10 miles away to anchor and rest was the scariest part. Even the 12 foot swells entering the Pacific were much less daunting then that long violent night. But 160 miles of pacific later my girlfriend and I with little sailing experience followed another boat named Fred Again III all the way. We kept in contact the whole time whilst we settled our fears of using mobile platforms of navionics charts despite the negative thoughts associated with not having a chart plotter. Now safely into Astoria and through the Columbia River bar in some of the smoothest weather. I finally feel ready to introduce myself to the community of fellow sailors whose words I have read to braveheartedly or foolishly inspire myself to make a big leap into the deep blue. My name is Brandon Hiza and I also am a professional photographer. (Instagram: @illectrec) thanks you for being there for me unknowingly as a means of self reassurance and constant answers to my questions. I look forward to a long future of living on and cruising with my sailing heart and hopefully meeting some of you along the way.
SV WolfPack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 00:29   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Vancouver 27
Re: Dove in head first.

Congrats on a successful first passage!
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 01:18   #3

Boat: Leopard 39

Congratulations. There will those who opine that some of your actions were imprudent, or worse; but unless we challenge ourselves, we don't learn and grow. We lose some of that spirit as we age, I think. I look back to my youth, when I learned to sail, and I don't think I would take the chances today that I did then. This is a paradox of our existence, that when we are young and have the most to lose in terms of years of life, we are bolder, and more accepting of risk. I watch young sailors today, and their enthusiasm and passion for sailing is like a B-12 shot for me. Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
danielamartindm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 01:30   #4

nice to read that you had / have your girlfriend with you , having had my wife with me on our collection trip helping us throo some " adversity " I can totally empathise with that , worth more than their weight in gold .
Cherod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 02:56   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Brandon.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 10:47   #6
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Howdy and Welcome Aboard CF Brandon!

I enjoyed reading your descriptive intro post.

But...
Since you are a photographer, post some photos of your trip!

I hope you enjoy your time on CF and on the water too.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 10:53   #7

Congrats and welcome! Keep in mind, just because you were lucky and it was all good once doesnt mean it will always be. In fact , 100% chance that it wont. Know your boat, know if the rudder is good and not ready to come apart/break off, etc etc, etc. Have fun!

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
head