Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2019, 05:33   #1

Delivery Captain insurance needs

Hi fellow sailors!
I am currently an OUPV Captain about to upgrade to 100 ton Master and looking to start delivering yachts running charter boats. Does anyone know what insurance is needed for this? My email is e_beezley@yahoo.com. please let me know either there or on this site. I have plenty of experience offshore and inland.

Thanks all and safe sailing!!
Captain Eddie
knotsofast06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2019, 02:20   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Delivery Captain insurance needs

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Eddie.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 08:28   #3

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54
Talking Re: Delivery Captain insurance needs

Quote:
Originally Posted by knotsofast06 View Post
Hi fellow sailors!
I am currently an OUPV Captain about to upgrade to 100 ton Master and looking to start delivering yachts running charter boats. Does anyone know what insurance is needed for this? My email is e_beezley@yahoo.com. please let me know either there or on this site. I have plenty of experience offshore and inland.

Thanks all and safe sailing!!
Captain Eddie
When I ran my delivery Company out of San Diego, called it the 91 day yacht club, I used Cox insurance out of LA. Were always very accommodating but never had a claim! If they are still in business, give them a call...
Cheers, Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 13:00   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by knotsofast06 View Post
I am currently an OUPV Captain about to upgrade to 100 ton Master and looking to start delivering yachts running charter boats. Does anyone know what insurance is needed for this?
These are two different questions (at least). Below may be dated - I have not been a paid mariner for over 15-years.

1. Charter Boats - unclear whether it's your boat or you will be working on a charter boat. When I did docking lessons on my boat back in the early 2000's in San Francisco Bay, I needed insurance on my boat. As a principal (owner) of the company that ran the boat, I had insurance. At the same time, I drove for a 3-hours booze-cruise company on an 84 passenger vessel on SF Bay (100T endorsement). I did not have separate insurance, just covered via the charter company.

2. Deliveries. During the same period, I also delivered newly commissioned trawler yachts from SoCal to as far as Florida, including many to avoid sales tax (90-day yacht club, the rule at the time). My understanding of the USCG regulations is that a OUPV/100T license is not needed unless there are paying passengers aboard, though the owner's insurance company almost always required one and a CV/resume. In my contracts, I always included language whereby the owner indemnified me in full in the event of an accident, including negligence.

If I were to do it all over again, I would probably go to Hiscox insurance and check into some sort of professional liability and errors/omissions insurance. Its relatively inexpensive (I pay $1500/year for $2m coverage as an independent consultant).

Good luck on your 100T endorsement!

Peter
USCG 100T 899414
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 13:10   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Hundreds of deliveries between Duluth MN and Antigua. In years past the owner would submit my resume to his underwriter and have me approved on his policy. Most of the underwriters know me now and just accept "Wallace will be the captain" Never had an issue.

I have several Transport Canada Masters Certificates and although they are not needed for this kind of work, they did help me get established with the underwriters years ago.

Tags
captain, delivery, insurance