Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2010, 19:55   #1

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27
Decided to Introduce Myself

I've been looking at this site for a few days so I decided to sign up and introduce myself.

My name is Daniel and I just turned 32 in Aug. I first got interested in sailing when I was in high school. My dad was military and for a couple of years we lived on Kwajalein in the Marshall Islands. Quite a few people had their own sail boats out there. Friends of my parents took us out one day and we went up the atoll to another island, they dropped anchor and we did some swimming and snorkeling. Saw lots of fish, eels and a huge sting ray. I thought it was fun and peaceful gliding across the water.

Now, fast forward...

I'm in the military myself (almost 13yrs) and started to more seriously look at taking up sailing lessons, getting a boat and going all over the place. During a trip to Afghanistan in 2008, I met a guy who talked about living on a boat while he was in California. I thought that sounded like a pretty good idea and that's what resparked my interest in sailing. After that deployment, I was looking at taking lessons but instead, the military decided to move me to Germany and 5 months later I get sent to Afghanistan again. I was just doing my R&R in Houston and stopped by Kemah to look around a bit at the Marina and by the boardwalk there watching boats. I even stopped by a boat show that was in the area too.

So now, I'm looking at taking time off from work when this deployment is over to go back to TX for some lessons and then start looking for a boat. I'm looking at my first one being 30' - 35'. I'm 6'5" so having some interior space would be helpful. I understand standing room will not be so accomodating but I figure if I'm down below, I'll mostly be sitting or laying down so headroom doesn't seem to be too much of an issue.

Anyway, I'm going to continue lurking around the forums and learning what I can along the way.

~Dan
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 20:14   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Welcome aboard Dan. Kemah is a great place to learn to sail, we did our keelboat and basic bareboat lessons there. Thank you for serving all of us and your country.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 22:45   #3

Boat: Farr 44 Ocean Racer - Pit crew & backup helm.
Hi Dan,

I also want to say hi and thank you and all of the other servicemen & women who are doing us proud through your military service.

It sounds like getting into sailing and continuing to build on those great earlier memories that you have would be a great for you.

All the very best to you.
Ozbullwinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 08:43   #4

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm already having fun looking at boats. After being around all the dirt and rocks of this country, getting on the water will be wonderful! I'm really looking forward to the lessons and buying a boat.

Although I've found some great looking boats, I wonder what kind of issues (if any) might be hidden on some of them.

Is there any kind of list of questions to ask or things to look for when shopping for boats on this forum or elsewhere?
Old 07-10-2010, 08:51   #5
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_78 View Post
we lived on Kwajalein in the Marshall Islands. ~Dan
Hi Dan,

thats meant to be a very interesting, and difficult place to visit. One of the last know habitats of Monk Seals in the area?

Anyway, what a wonderful way to introduce someone to the water

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 08:55   #6

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
G'Day Dan and can I add my welcome,
Sounds like you've a good plan and good luck in putting it into action.
Cheers
JOHN
Old 07-10-2010, 09:39   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Hi Dan,

thats meant to be a very interesting, and difficult place to visit. One of the last know habitats of Monk Seals in the area?

Anyway, what a wonderful way to introduce someone to the water
Difficult is right. US Gov has their hold at least on that atoll so visiting will be very difficult without special permission.
Old 13-10-2010, 19:26   #8

I was thinking to start another post but thought I'd put in this one I already started.

I've been looking around on a few sites for boats. Mainly in Tx since that's where I'm looking at going when I retire. I've found some boats I really like just from looking at the pictures and trying to narrow down what I will get. I've seen a couple in WA, a couple in FL, and in NC.

So, my next question, How far did some of you travel to get your boat(s)? I know I've seen posts saying that it's good to go inspect them in person so I thought about that. I'm also thinking of the possible costs to ship to where I want to dock out of.
Old 30-10-2010, 11:34   #9

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and welcome aboard!
Its too bad you haven't found an MWR that offers sailing lessons and boats to rent like there is in Pearl Harbor/Hickam Harbor.
I took my first lessons while stationed in Germany.
Thanks for your service.
kind regards,
Old 07-06-2011, 10:13   #10

Re: Decided to Introduce Myself

I'm happy today. I applied to get time off for next month, which shouldn't be a problem. I called a sailing school in Kemah to take ASA 101 toward the end of July. I've been looking forward to it for quite some time.