Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2021, 10:45   #16

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35
Re: Dating while sailing

Hi Pam, you don't say your age but I find it interesting the reactions of some people re dating websites, expectations etc. I'm mid 60's and a lot of my friends are 30' and 40's and that generation seems to exclusively use dating apps. Best advice, try a few or a bunch and see if one works better for you.

I went through the hoops on the cf dating section. It is pretty dormant for guys but you might have better luck being single, female.

I used to live in the SF Bay area, sailed there for many years. If you want to meet sailors, go get a copy of Latitude 38, go to the racing section and find out where/when the beer cans are. Show up, introduce yourself and get on a boat. You can also do the more competitive racing if you'd like. There are a lot of guys out there and not many women.

Look under the "community tab". or easier just go here
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/groups/
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 11:24   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joh.Ghurt View Post
Hello Pam,

unpopular as it seems, dating apps aren't really a great option to find a partner for anything beyond a quick romp between the sheets. If you want something more durable, your investment in time is better spent on meeting people face to face. If you can't make this effort or don't have time for it, you'll probably won't be ready or have time for a meaningful relationship either.

Sure, you can swipe while you're sitting on the pot, but in the end, you'll end up with mostly disappointing results.

This is the gist of the experience of a bunch of female friends, who entertain me with their online-dating experiences. And women still have it easier than men, because at least they still have the choice of options. For the vast majority of men, online-dating is a total waste of time only gives a vague hope something might appear.

Oh, and in case you're one of the people having trouble to make contact with new people, don't worry. If you can learn to sail a boat, you're also able to learn to smile, be friendly and try to take interest in a stranger. It won't work all the time, but it works often enough to make it worthwhile.

Sorry, must disagree

Hi Pam

My experience with dating sites is simple, if your open an honest about your expectations you tend to get better results.

If your clear about wanting a relationship, and what your requirements are within that relationship it tends to discourage the other who want simply to romp

As far as apps, that’s going to depend on where your located and what your comfort level is ….

Facebook
Plenty of Fish
Match

I tend you say what I like / want and let the reader decide if they are open to the adventure. My wife ( I’m a widow now ) never knew she wanted to be a sailor until she meet me, I never knew I would enjoy the Tate Modern as much as I did … it’s all about the shared adventure

Hopefully that’s helpful ..

just be honest, open and cautiously optimistic

Cheers
Navi2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 12:15   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
Now I'm married, approaching my "sell-by" date and been told quite a lot that my men friends envy my mate and would give just about anything to meet a woman that loves all things ocean and boat-y, someone to have a conversation about navigation or bilge pumps with.

So, I say, sail in, find a gathering place near the water and smile, I'm almost positive they'll find you. Hope to see you out there!

Got a good laugh at the "sell-by" date comment.

I am lucky that my wifey wants the boat thing as much as I do. People will not likely believe this, but I had to convince her it was *** NOT *** the right time to buy a boat. Hopefully, this admission will not cause me to loose my CF Membership Card.

In spite of her being prone to sea sickness, the wifey still wants to go sailing, buy a boat, etc. We know of a couple of married men whose wife's will not go out on the boat or will only do so in a limited way. No criticism for those women, boats/sailing is not for everyone. One of the guys is "jealous" about how much my wife likes to go boating and sailing. He wishes his wife would get on a boat but she simply will not.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 14:41   #19

Boat: Stamas 44

Pam,

I can't say that I have had much luck with Match or OurTime (older folks). I have met some nice folks and the COVID made it complicated. I know others who have had success.

Another site more sailing oriented: https://www.lovesail.com/

If you are in FL . . . .

David
Old 06-11-2021, 14:58   #20

Boat: 41' yawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
Christian websites may provide a higher caliber of people.

lol ok
chris95040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 15:44   #21

Boat: L42

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCoyote View Post
Pam,

Another site more sailing oriented: https://www.lovesail.com/
Wow Pam,

Sorry you have gotten so many awful replies.

The lovesail site above is probably your best bet for meeting a like-minded sailing partner.

Best of luck!
Steve_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2022, 12:45   #22

Boat: '79 Pearson 323

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joh.Ghurt View Post
Hello Pam,

unpopular as it seems, dating apps aren't really a great option to find a partner for anything beyond a quick romp between the sheets. If you want something more durable, your investment in time is better spent on meeting people face to face. If you can't make this effort or don't have time for it, you'll probably won't be ready or have time for a meaningful relationship either.

Sure, you can swipe while you're sitting on the pot, but in the end, you'll end up with mostly disappointing results.

This is the gist of the experience of a bunch of female friends, who entertain me with their online-dating experiences. And women still have it easier than men, because at least they still have the choice of options. For the vast majority of men, online-dating is a total waste of time only gives a vague hope something might appear.

Oh, and in case you're one of the people having trouble to make contact with new people, don't worry. If you can learn to sail a boat, you're also able to learn to smile, be friendly and try to take interest in a stranger. It won't work all the time, but it works often enough to make it worthwhile.
I disagree entirely. This is a big, wide world, and we now have the ability to narrow the field very quickly. There are several groups on Fb and there is the Lovesail site for singles. It's worldwide, but you can specify your area like any other dating app. Best of luck! I'm in the same boat...lol!
CynthiaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 17:48   #23

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

I'll just bet your PM box is filling quickly...lol
You can try here also...
https://www.latitude38.com/crew-list-home/
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing