Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2020, 20:08   #1

Dan the man

Hi this is Dan the man, (Dan Morton), I've been visiting the cruisin forum for over a year now, so I thought it was about time for an intro from me.

I am married to my soul mate Therese, Therese and I met in Vanuatu, where we lived for 8yrs between beginning 1987 to end of 1994. The final cyclone took us out and we sold our cattle coconut plantation and moved to Oz with our eldest Angela and our middle child Jean. Third and last daughter Imogen born in 1996 year of our marriage! Living in Brissy, Australia.

I've started sailing in 2008, taught by my late Father Dick Morton. I started with Hartley 18ft trailer sailor, great boat to learn to sail in! We enjoyed 5 years on Mitz, sailing around Moreton Bay, for those Mexicans its in 'Gods own', Queensland, Oz! In 2013 we upgraded to a 27ft Roberts Searle Last Laugh, fantastic very forgiving monohull and a great boat to further learn sailing skills, sailing in 30knot winds or getting round Peel island in light 10knot winds, spent many nm getting around Moreton Bay.

My wife and I are now 60! And its time for serious cruisin, so the deal was sell last laugh and we can buy the bigger live aboard Catamaran. So I decided I liked FPs, Maxims or Leopards, despite the lower than optimal freeboard!, around 38ft as we wanted to sail back to Vanuatu one day.

So after much effort i managed to sell last laugh and then those dozen or so cats I had lined up all went! Looney Covid hit and everyone has gone mad buying live aboard cats. What is the go, hopefully some of those FP owners will change their minds and they'll come back on the market!

So now I've got to lift my game and find another 50-60k to get a FP 36 or 38 in Oz! Unless anyone has a FP for around 220K Aus in Australia.

Anyway I'll keep enjoying the Cruisin Forum and hopefully one day soon I'll have that live aboard, give up the working and join all you other rat bags having a good time on the open seas!!

PS can I change my Cruisin name from Dan Morton to Dan the man easily or do I have to reregister, not really urgent but would be cool,

Thanks Cruisers, chat soon, Dan the man !
Dan Morton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2020, 20:35   #2

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Dan the man

Welcome to the forum. You've had some fine adventures.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2020, 20:42   #3

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

Welcome to CF Dan. Not sure about changing your log in name. Also what is an FP?

We have followed similar paths Dan. I also started sailing with a Hartley 18 (everyone has heard of 16s, but 18s much less common). Great wee boats and heaps of fun. Eventually migrated to a 26 foot keeler that I still have.

I don't think it is just Covid causing boats to sell. I think that the housing shortage and crazy high rents are a significant factor. People perceive living on a boat much more acceptable than living in a caravan park.

And Dan do post, this is a forum after all. There are too many lurkers who never post; don't be a lurker. People will want to read what you think and share from your experience.
Old 24-10-2020, 21:16   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Dan, here is how to request a name change. It is something that has to go to an administrator to accomplish.

Click on "Contact Us" in the blue band at the bottom of the page. A writing box will appear.

Write what you want, and submit it. It will go into a queue for the staff, and someone will take care of it for you.

Ann
JPA Cate, moderator
Old 25-10-2020, 02:32   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Dan (& Therese).

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2020, 02:37   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantmc View Post
Welcome to CF Dan. Not sure about changing your log in name. Also what is an FP?
Fountaine Pajot ?
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2020, 04:23   #7

Yes Fountaine Pajot
Old 25-10-2020, 05:45   #8

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Don't create a second account, the moderators will find out and sanction you.
We are really against multiple accounts because of folks creating them as sockpuppets to bolster their opinions in arguments.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2020, 06:00   #9

Boat: 39' Custom built junk rigged cat ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
We are really against multiple accounts because of folks creating them as sockpuppets to bolster their opinions in arguments.
Wow! People are that desperate to "win" what should be a conversation !?
fourlyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2020, 06:16   #10

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Some people become very invested in whatever position they are arguing.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2020, 06:47   #11
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
Never heard the term " sock puppet" being used in this context.

Personally, I find them very disturbing!

https://youtu.be/APwrf3mG924
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2020, 15:14   #12

Hi fellow cruisers, it’s Dan the man back and I am very excited, just put a deposit on a 38ft Lightwave, so I’ve found my dream boat thinking it was going to be at least a year before I found something. So will be posting in earnest with all my queries! Thanks