Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: When is the best time to transient the Point Conception
Jan-Mar 0 0%
April-Jun 1 16.67%
Jul-Sept 1 16.67%
Aug-Dec 4 66.67%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-12-2008, 20:28   #1

Boat: 1967 Angleman Sea Spirit
Cruising Ca West Coast

Hi all, Bill Svoboda from Moss landing, California or as I always say the State of confusion. I am the vigurous chap that restored a 34 foot Ketch that was born in August of 1967 and built by Tokyo Yacht Works in Yokohama, Japan for Joseph Jones Weisman. I have completely restored her and also upgraded her. Her maiden name was (Wayward Wind) and is now Blessed By King Neptune as (Petrel). I am very glad to be a member of this Forum and I am looking for the original prints or brousures for the Sea Spirit Ketch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Petrel haulot 2008 067.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	462.4 KB
ID:	6316   Click image for larger version

Name:	Petrel haulot 2008 070.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	463.8 KB
ID:	6317  

Name:	Sail 20.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	452.5 KB
ID:	6318  
Old 17-12-2008, 20:38   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Hi Bill and Welcome to Cruisers Forum. You have a beautiful boat with obvious care to detail and pride of ownership.

We look forward to hearing of your exploits!

As you can see by my handle I have sort of given up on my home state of confusion and now roam the world homeless.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2008, 20:49   #3

Good for you hope to see you on the Horizon one day, Respectfully, Bill
Old 18-12-2008, 09:22   #4
Kai Nui

Bill, glad to see you posting. For those who don't know, Petrel is our former resque project, and the origin of my signature line. Bill is being modest in what he has posted so far. The restoration of Petrel was an epic feat, and the end result is more impressive than any boat I have seen at a wooden boat show.
Bill, about bloody time you got serious about heading south
Old 18-12-2008, 10:11   #5

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Bill, The best time to pass Conception is when the winds are down and you are well offshore. Most summer months are OK. I told a friend once that was coming from LA to San Diego to be sure to stay well offshore. After he was 4 days late we started to contact the coast guard when he finally arrived. When ask what took so long he replied "you said stay well offshore". I ask how far off he stayed to which he replied "300 miles".

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2008, 11:16   #6
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
WELCOME,

Petrel is a piece of art, lovely art! Ah, the old point can be a stinker at times. Passed there twice. Sailing south from Avilla Beach to S.B. in some 50+ winds. Motoring north with seas calm as a mill pond, and 2 friends on the bow. Enjoy your lovely vessel.....i2f
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FROLICING.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	6340  
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2008, 11:32   #7

Boat: Was - Passport 45 Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Baier View Post
Bill, The best time to pass Conception is when the winds are down and you are well offshore. Most summer months are OK. I told a friend once that was coming from LA to San Diego to be sure to stay well offshore. After he was 4 days late we started to contact the coast guard when he finally arrived. When ask what took so long he replied "you said stay well offshore". I ask how far off he stayed to which he replied "300 miles".
Having done that passage many times, I will respectfully disagree.

There is no such thing as "Far off-shore" from Point Conception. The effects of Pt Conception travel far off-shore and get worse as the fetch increases. It is common to get the effects of the Point 600 miles off-shore.

When I pass the point, I pick a day to peacefully motor or at least, lightly sail around. If the weather gets up under way, there is a peaceful anchorage just South of the point.

There is no need to take chances on passing Point Conception. Hang out in Morro Bay and go when the time is right.
Kanani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2008, 11:43   #8

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Bill,
Welcome aboard! I got to Moss Landing this last summer. Sorry I missed meeting you but I believe I saw your boat. Were you up on stands?
She looks a bit like my old wood Mariner that was created the same year in the same place. There is a photo if you click my info.
Good to have you here. Glad you're going to be out cruising.
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2008, 13:34   #9

I was told by one fella three o'clock in the morning and 40 miles out. The seas on the left coast do sometimes calm down at night.
Old 18-12-2008, 13:44   #10

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanani View Post
Having done that passage many times, I will respectfully disagree.

There is no such thing as "Far off-shore" from Point Conception. The effects of Pt Conception travel far off-shore and get worse as the fetch increases. It is common to get the effects of the Point 600 miles off-shore.

When I pass the point, I pick a day to peacefully motor or at least, lightly sail around. If the weather gets up under way, there is a peaceful anchorage just South of the point.

There is no need to take chances on passing Point Conception. Hang out in Morro Bay and go when the time is right.

There is always someone around that will disagree.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2008, 14:55   #11

Boat: Sceptre 41
Welcome aboard. Beauty boat.

I think a good plan of attack for Conception is to try and round it in the morning. In my most recent trip I had to motor the entire time except for three hours. If you are harbor hopping I would pull into Port San Louis and take off around 0200 depending on your boat speed. From there you can make it to Santa Babara byt late afternoon. I think it is best to take the trip when you can avoid the Southerly's that come thru. These occur mostly in the fall and winter. The Cruising Guide to Central and Southern California by Brian Fagan is a good book to help you understand the different strategies to get around Conception in both directions.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2008, 15:43   #12

Boat: Was - Passport 45 Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Welcome aboard. Beauty boat.

I think a good plan of attack for Conception is to try and round it in the morning. In my most recent trip I had to motor the entire time except for three hours. If you are harbor hopping I would pull into Port San Louis and take off around 0200 depending on your boat speed. From there you can make it to Santa Babara byt late afternoon. I think it is best to take the trip when you can avoid the Southerly's that come thru. These occur mostly in the fall and winter. The Cruising Guide to Central and Southern California by Brian Fagan is a good book to help you understand the different strategies to get around Conception in both directions.
Agree.....an eye on the weather and common sense will make the passage pleasant. Most people get in trouble when they are trying to meet a schedule.

Rounding the Cape of Good Hope was a pleasant experience for me. I anchored at Cape Agulhas, S. Africa and never strayed more than 1/2 mile from shore when sailing along the coast and anchoring in the many anchorages along the way.

Foul weather at all capes are the exception and not the norm. They may be subject to the most severe weather when things go bad but it's not all bad....all the time. That goes for Pt Conception as well. Far too many people freak out over that passage for little reason. It just takes a little common sense.
Kanani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2008, 15:44   #13
Kai Nui

Bill, I agree with Charlie, and with who ever told you 3 in the morning. I would also suggest Port San Louis. You will be better off than Morro Bay, and it is easier in and out. Port San Louis has plenty of room, and is only a couple hours or so south. You can make Moss to Port San Louis in a day, then rest up for the point. You will likely be pretty beat from Point Sur by the time you get there, so a rest is advisable.
Post some pics of the interior please. The oo's and ah's you are hearing now will pale in comparison. Petrel has the most beatiful classic interior out there.
And John, you are correct. Petrel was hauled when you went through Moss.
Old 18-12-2008, 20:51   #14

OK posting pics now. and thanks for all the great advice, this is the best Forum I have ever been involved with. As a former Military Vet I strive on profesional wisdom and those who have gone before me. Your knowledge and expirience is w=my driving force to see beyond the dock.
Old 19-12-2008, 04:35   #15

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
If you are going south, you can get round Conception on most days in the summer and fall as long as the forecasts are for northwest 15-25 or less. You may get 20-30 knots from the northwest, but just reef down and enjoy the ride. If you stay close to the coast, the wind and seas will drop quickly when you round the point. The northwest wind is at a minimum from 6 to 10 am, and gradually builds through the afternoon and evening. You will still get strong gusts at 2am, but they become less frequent with time as the night wears on.

Wintertime presents more challenges, as you don't want to bash around in a southerly, and you would rather avoid the first 24-48 hours of stronger northwesterlies which usually follow south winds. Port San Luis isn't protected in a southeaster, and Morro Bay entrance can get breaking waves in heavy weather. Its still quite doable if you listen to the weather forecasts, and you may end up motoring in light winds.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote