Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-06-2003, 19:23   #1

Crazy in the Coconut

G'Day My name is Shane and I live in Darwin Australia, my wife and I are building a Snell Easy 10.5 cat and are hoping to start the cruising life in about two years (wannabies). Most of our freinds and family think we are nuts, building a boat in 35C and 80% humidity I would have to agree, but you have to have some sort of vice. The name we have picked out for our boat is Malallo which in PNG pigin translates resting or relaxing which is the direct opposite to boatbuiding (hopefully not to cruising).
Shane
troppoboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2003, 20:38   #2

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Not so crazy

G'Eve Shane from the other end of the world. Some people think jumping out of an airplanes and free falling to earth is crazy too. People always criticize when they don't understand. To each his own!
I hope to be in your neck of the woods (Darwin) in a few years while cruising the Philippine Islands. That's if you have any woods per se. Then maybe down along to east coast past the reef.
Have you heard much about pirates lately up north of you? And I've heard you can get some real nasty storms passing thru.
Welcome aboard and give us some details on that Cat your building.

DelmarRey..................................._/)
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2003, 23:32   #3

G'day

Hi Delmar it sounds like you are going to be getting around a bit, piracy is always going to be a problem. Its a bit like muggings in a big city it will always happen but like a lot of places if you keep a watch out, avoid certain areas and never travel alone you won't have a problem. Once you are are within 200km from OZ you won't have any pirate problems as the coast gard patrol these areas. Cyclones: if you avoid our area between Oct and May you will avoid the worst of them. You mentioned you want to travel from Darwin to the Barrier Reef this may present some problems as between May and Oct the prevailing wind is going east to west. Some cruisers travel across just before or just after the Monsoon season to avoid a grueling windward bash or just travel at night and pick up an evening offshore breeze. The boat we are buiding is a Peter Snell design 10.5 Easy that has been designed with the virgin boatbuilder in mind. It utilises a multi chine ply fiberglass construction with mini keels and 9.9 outboards in pods. I could never afford to buy one so building is the answer. let me know as you get closer and i can fill you in on some great places to visit.
P.S. nothern Oz is very densely wooded its just as you go inland things get a lot drier.
regards Shane

troppoboat is offline   Reply With Quote