Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2019, 18:21   #1

Completely new

Hi I was hoping to find some advice on good apps to get. I see that there are a lot. have downloaded Tides near me. I was hoping people had suggestions for good apps to get. I just bought my first boat 30 foot Catalina sailboat that's up the Connecticut River I need to be go south down the river into the Long Island Sound to eventually bring it up the Hudson River. The current boat owner has agreed to take me down the river into long island sound, and then I'll be with my cousin (an experienced sailer).... Also if anybody had some general advice on how this website really works. Much appreciated
Mary jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 18:47   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34
Re: Completely new

Besides tide apps, which you can never have too many of, I would recommend a few weather apps such as windy and wx. Of course opencpn is a must. Charts for open captain can we found on the Noaa website.

Ask for using the website, there are tabs at the top of the screen under the banner, where you can select various pages. The forums tab will give you a list of sections you can peruse at your leisure. Clicking on the new posts button is sometimes a good place to start.

Welcome aboard
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 03:08   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, M.J.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 05:12   #4
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

The only app I use is AquaMaps with the Active Captain landed to it
Old 04-04-2019, 06:02   #5

I like the iSailGPS app (unfortunately for iphones/ipads only), it uses free NOAA charts. It's nice in the day sailors I take out of Norwalk, which have only a depthsounder and VHF as far as electronics go.
Pete17C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 18:15   #6

make sure your cousin understands the timing of the tide through Hell Gate going up the East River from the LI Sound to the Hudson, 5 kt currents and pretty tight quarters at times, it can get squirrely

google actually has a 'street view' of the trip, kinda cool

Not sure how far north you're heading, but there's a lot of 'stuff' heading down the river in early spring. I've seen whole trees, root end down, branches sticking out of the water, heading down stream this time of year, it gets worse the farther north you go.
Pete17C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 21:28   #7

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Welcome aboard Mary Jane! If you have a question you can always use the search mode up in the bar above too. For a cell phone I too use ISailGPS. Navionics is also popular for navigating. For weather I have 4 or 5 but the ones that I keep turning to are "Outcast," "Windy" or "Windyty" and also "Weather Map" both of those two show windflow and weather prediction. They all have proved very accurate for where I live.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote

« Greetings | split »