Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2008, 14:13   #31

Location: "Noosa" Australia, I am French by birth and Australian by choise.
Boat: 2 boats , a colson 21 and a bolger micro
I am sorry for the American economie being a bit fragile,
i am not in the pursuit of other people down fall , or down luck.
we all go throught high and low time financialy , physicaly, emotionaly ..ect..

i was just ask on this thread about informations , and idea , and fisiabilities of my plans..
I have save some money for a business venture and work hard toward that , but the "old mate" that i show my idea , took it and run with it , and deal on my back to take control of my compagny..
well, i have no intention again to involve lawers and else ( done than , been there )..because..
i have no intention to deal in life or work with inscrupulous people.
and my gaol has never been te be rich , but happy and heath first.

So , then , instead of still working so hard ..i can go sailing then,
i am happy with simple thing.
So i repeat:" i am not going to the States to buy a boat "because the economy is having a tuff time "!!!!!!!
I am coming to find a boat to sail , as sailing for me is living ......and a boat must have a soul
i am looking for a well built boat, honest, fair,safe friend to take me along to some journey of my little life..
I have a budjet of 50 000 for the boat and 20 000 for refit , safety ..ect..
i rebuilt boats all my life
when i was 17 , i totaly rebuilt a 1931 timber boat of 33 fts..every bolts, riverts, planck, cotton ,frame , bouiling the timber ..ect.. all , the all thing !!!!!!!
and then i rebuilt few others , from plywood , to west system, to fiberglass, to composite..ect..ect. from prototype racing baots to multi to monos..ect
i used to write too for sailing magazines ..

i learn the "hard way" ...like life..trusting too much people , and fixing other people mistake..and my own of course !!!!!

So , because of the fantastic internet , we can comunicate with similar minded people all around the world.and it is great..
i am not in business, just in a journey of living , and been at sea for me is living ..
i do not drink, i do not smoke, i hate shopping, i am a minimalist, i have no religion ..just been "me" and sailing the Ocean , meeting similar minded people..
call it an adiction , an escape , so what !!
better than all the mates around that get drunk , selfish , or control frick in business or relationship..
well , alone at sea, i am just by myself , and living the chilwood that i never had ..
like my son say one day when he was around 8
"mum you are a day dreamer "...
maybe i am , but i do get prepared , had asking infos on a web site is one of my way to get organised and prepare.
Cathyoz
Old 22-03-2008, 15:44   #32
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Hi Therapy,
I have no idea when and how far the boat market will fall but after the election, a new economic report will come out of Washington that will by design, encourage the average American to hunker down, get out of debt and many will be forced to sell-off luxury items such as boats. Especially in the price bracket of Cathyoz, it will happen quickly.

Cathyoz, I to am sorry that the US is falling on hard economic times and hope they recover quickly, but when circumstances offer you an opportunity to buy your boat cheaper from bank repossessions or an emergency sale, you should at least be aware of it.

You can always pay more if you prefer!
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2008, 15:49   #33

thank you Pelagic
of course , i am aware of it, and appreciate your help and infos
i just wanted to make the point that i am not doing that for a" business deal"..like some people seams to be doing...and they are only interrested by the profits.
a sailing boat for me is much more..
Old 22-03-2008, 15:51   #34

Pelagic
where are you with your boat?
Old 22-03-2008, 16:06   #35

so , i will not be looking at 'beneteau" and the like...
like i say before , i am looking for a "old, classic design", fine line, long keel if possible..
not big, not hostentacious, just right..
i can fix her, prepared her..
i am sure few in this forum will relate of why i say , and what i am looking for //
" la perle rare"..
But i am worth it !!
Old 22-03-2008, 16:35   #36

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
mariner (Sail) Boats For Sale
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2008, 16:36   #37

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Hi Therapy,
I have no idea when and how far the boat market will fall but after the election, a new economic report will come out of Washington that will by design, encourage the average American to hunker down, get out of debt and many will be forced to sell-off luxury items such as boats.
!
I hope to buy a boat last year.

Maybe next year.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2008, 16:47   #38

hello Cathy OZ checkon yatchworld .com on sail boats for sale it will start at 200 + feet also check craigs list in U.S.A. online find boats for sale in any state you want ((these are private (owner) boats for sale)) best of luck if you need information about U.S. or Canadian built boats you can usually go to a web site with boat's designer or builder forum and owners will speak of likes and dislikes.
good luck "fair winds smooth seas"
mike d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2008, 16:59   #39
Rez

CathyOz,
You sound knowledgable and realistic, to me. The boat business in the US is in the loo. Check out Advanced search for new and used boats and yachts. - YachtWorld.com.
I am 68 and have been sailing since I was a child. The adults in my family had wooden sailboats when I was learning. I've seen a few things come and go.

I have never seen prices going down so fast so quickly. Starting to see "Distress sale, Must sell, make an offer." This is not necessarily due to the boat being a stinker - but to the owner's inability to continue to pay for it, with mooring, insurance and upkeep.

The Southern west coast is an expensive place. North of California things are more realistic. We also have some fair sized lakes that have sailboats the size you are looking for. When you are here, check into the current shipping rates. There are companies who are responsible and not bandits.

Ocean going boats under 36' are common around the Great Lakes. They have usually lived a good life - out of the water 7 months of the year, and fresh water at that.

The kind of van/camper you are talking about is available. The RV market is Really depressed. With a van you can easily make use of free campgrounds. There are two directories for same, east and west. I ran into a fellow who was spending half a year putting his 26 footer back to perfect, in Arizona! He had a camper van and trailer for the boat.

You will find what you are looking for. Don't be in a rush, our economy is in a large contraction and it won't go away soon.

Best regards,
Rez

"Have a good time, do as little damage as you can." Harold Coby
Rez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2008, 17:02   #40

Hello Cathy Oz welcome to the sight and family! you can get a lot of information for a particular boat mfg. or designer on line as you are probably aware of. if you see a boat that you like or are interested in just google that boat designer or mfg and you should be able to get to a an owners forum an ask questions about the design/build of the boat. there are many good boats out there for short money( distress sale). I know you wrote that you don't want to take advantage of people in dire straits but you have to look out for #1 (this is you!) this is how the world works one mans lose is another's gain. Check out yatchworld.com and craigs list for private (Owner's selling boats) for craigs list just type in that site and search the list for states and then boats for sale you can usually get some really good deals. also E-Bay. no i am not affiliated with either just brouse them. on craigs list there are brokered boats but most are owners trying to sell without brokers involved.
good luck! fair winds and smooth seas in your endeavor!!!!
mike d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2008, 17:40   #41

thank you to all
"merci"
i did all the above for a the last 2 weeks.( since i learn that my business has been jeorpardise ..)

like Mike d say..
and surfing the net on owner web site..ect..
and Rez, i did think and look at the fresh water boat too.
i am really looking for to come to the USA , end of may..
but i definitly has to be or fix the boat by the sea , i can not "be inland"for long i feel oppress inland, i need to feel and smell the sea salt not far ..
i know i am a bit ( a lot ) weird !!!!!
i could be be coming earlier , but i have "a deal" with my son who is coming nexk week for 4 weeks to work with me to fix few things in the house and the granny flat , so i pay him his around the world plane ticket ..
We coming via Tahiti, because he want to see the billabong pro surfing in may there..
i am happy and positive , because i realise that my plan are not unrealistics.

And i will have lots of fun
my little boat here is great , but too small, but very well balanced
i can let the tiller go, when up wind ( easing off the main a bit ) and she stir herself alone beautifully..
i had few issue with deck and hull join, so i will be particular about that.
i love speed of course but I realised that a cata or tri , is not safe enought alone when in big seas and when you go sleeping..and expensive for my budget. and harder on maintenance , sails , rigs ..ect..( i used to race them a 30fts , and know the hard work, wear and tear on riging and fitting they absorb)
and i have a realistic budget because i will not insure the boat , so if anything happen , well it is life..
"c'est la vie " i will be sad but not homeless or penniless

thank to all the other sea dreamer out there..
Old 22-03-2008, 17:51   #42
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rez View Post
The boat business in the US is in the loo.
Yes, well it needs to be in the loo for a lot longer. We have found some very unrealistic prices, blatant lies about condition, and a bloodly long way to travel in the USA, plus an ability for brokers to think that Australians are full of money because of the exchange rate.

All that being said we have had a lot of fun doing it. But we have been totally flexible... even sleeping 2 nights in a row in a rent a car and sleeping in hostel dorms and crew dorms.

If you want to but a boat you need to be really into it

We were after a specific mfg/model production boat less than 8 years old, and that was difficult enough. How the hell someone would be able to cast a wider net would really be difficult. Yes there may be bargains there, but they are v difficult to catch! Ours was market price, no bargain! The only place we win is that we have bought cheaper than in Australia.Hard to ask for more, in reality.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2008, 18:08   #43

If you want to but a boat you need to be really into it

We were after a specific mfg/model production boat less than 8 years old
--------------------------------------------------------

Marc
i am not looking for "a less than 8 year old," on the oposite
juste an old good boat , old classis of the 70 ' or 80'..
and I do really want to..
you will be surprise that in Oz too ( and i live here for 24 years ) when i see a broker , he tell me so many "B--- **** " because i am a women ..
does not matter..
if they are really anoying ,and patronising and pedantics
i tell them with sarcasme that i cross the Atlantic single -handed so i am sure i have "a little " idea" about boats anyway ,and they do not have to be so pratronising with me ..
some of them will have no idea where the Atlantic is anyway...
some get court at their" game" , and get even upset!!!!!!

it is the same with car dealer ( i know about car , I did the rally Paris Dakar ..ect )
so i am used to them , and ask lot of question before i waste my time and theirs
i have a long list of very precise questions , and until they did not answer to them all , i do not bother anymore to go futher.
saving in time , and disapointments.
like life a bit
learning to be more assertive and focus..
this is the only good thing about getting older , trying to be viser !!!!!!!
see you in some ocean somewhere..
Old 22-03-2008, 18:28   #44

Question

. on craigs list there are brokered boats but most are owners trying to sell without brokers involved.
good luck! fair winds and smooth seas in your endeavor!!!![/quote]

thanks you
maybe i stop over in Hawai on my way
there is a C&C 38 there advertised.
i like this styel of baots
but
i just have to make sure , if i remember some C&C are made with balsa composite ???
not really trusting balsa composite , alas , saw to many disaster waiting to happen...