Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2014, 03:27   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator
Re: Circumnavigating/ Sailing Is Sexy

It's not what you call an open mind is it?

Coops.
Old 13-03-2014, 03:30   #17

Boat: Islander Freeport, 41

Ha! Isn't that what it's all about?! What else would you expect from a third world?

Wait, I've never been to a third world before. Are you saying I won't be able to post selfies on Instagram? Thanks for the advice we will turn around now .... I'm kidding.
Old 13-03-2014, 04:37   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Nice videos!

You guys are going great....

Keep it up and have the greatest memories of your lives...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2014, 12:54   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
> It's not the sailing but the time, heat, disease, thieves and really dirty places with dirty scary people.

With an attitude like that, I'd suggest you turn around now and start heading back to the US.
There's no requirement that they have to like every third world country. They, like everyone else, can pick and choose where they'd like to visit, and where they'd like to stay away from. I don't see anything wrong with having some preferences as to how much heat, bugs, thievery or filth one wants to deal with in their journey through life, or around the world.

There are plenty of places that I'm only going to "visit" via the internet, because I don't want to deal with the pickpockets, or touts, or potential diseases. Fortunately, plenty of other people have been there, done that, and posted their videos and pics for others to enjoy.

There are other places that I plan to visit in person, and as long as my passport and visa are accepted, I'm going. I will always reserve the right to visit, or like certain places, and not all of them will meet my standards of beauty/great location vs heat/danger/filth/annoying locals.
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2014, 13:28   #20

Boat: Tartan 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailingissexy View Post
...Sugar on the Strawberries~ Elizabeth
I like the Carolina Blue fingernails. Very nice touch.

If and when y'all ever get around the Atlantic side, remind me to show you my original concoction with strawberries and a very special "liquor".
Flem.S.Coyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2014, 14:08   #21

Boat: 1902 Dutch Tjalk, 64'

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
There's no requirement that they have to like every third world country. They, like everyone else, can pick and choose where they'd like to visit, and where they'd like to stay away from. I don't see anything wrong with having some preferences as to how much heat, bugs, thievery or filth one wants to deal with in their journey through life, or around the world.

There are plenty of places that I'm only going to "visit" via the internet, because I don't want to deal with the pickpockets, or touts, or potential diseases. Fortunately, plenty of other people have been there, done that, and posted their videos and pics for others to enjoy.

There are other places that I plan to visit in person, and as long as my passport and visa are accepted, I'm going. I will always reserve the right to visit, or like certain places, and not all of them will meet my standards of beauty/great location vs heat/danger/filth/annoying locals.
My thoughts exactly! Why, I just spent 5 consecutive years in France, and didn't get mugged once!

All seriousness aside, I've never circumnavigated, but I've been around, and the first thing I learned at a very tender age is not to expect what you were told to expect when you reached your destination.
This holds especially true these days, where you can find all the horror stories you want for a given destination on the Internet.

I suggest you pay attention to your surroundings, go with the flow, and if a mixture of camel dung and goat piss are the prevalent means of anti-mosquito protection, go with it. (You'll get used to the smell, the locals won't mind, and you'll look a whole Hell of a lot less ridiculous than if you're spraying yourself with OFF every 15 minutes.)

From what I've seen dramatized in the Press and on the Screen, piracy can be an issue in some waters, but if you're dumb enough to cruise those waters and ballsy enough to hide a .50 Cal long-range sniper rifle in your boom, those pesky Somali fishermen should be easily deterred with a shot or two off their bow.

I'm done traveling now, but if I had to do it to over, I'd do it over in a heart beat. There are so many things out there that you'll never feel, smell or taste on the Internet.
Neeltje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2014, 14:20   #22

Here's a little glimpse into our life-
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DrakeBlog.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	198.4 KB
ID:	77509   Click image for larger version

Name:	Journey10.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	161.0 KB
ID:	77510  

Name:	Dolphine.jpg
Views:	763
Size:	393.0 KB
ID:	77511   Click image for larger version

Name:	538023_748856345124965_1814160880_n.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	77513  

Name:	sfsailboat.jpg
Views:	591
Size:	294.6 KB
ID:	77514   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1250.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	402.8 KB
ID:	77515  

Name:	IMG_1361.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	408.9 KB
ID:	77516   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1424.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	402.7 KB
ID:	77518  

Sailingissexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2014, 14:24   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flem.S.Coyle View Post
I like the Carolina Blue fingernails. Very nice touch.

If and when y'all ever get around the Atlantic side, remind me to show you my original concoction with strawberries and a very special "liquor".
It's actually a saying I picked up from the old movie, The Swimmer.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	MV5BMjAyNzU2NzIyNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzg2NTIyMQ@@._V1_SY317_CR2,0,214,317_.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	77519  
Sailingissexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2014, 14:35   #24
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

not to be too critical, but I think if you can aim the camera aft and dedicate more time to the boat wake it would be more entertaining. Try do this for 50 seconds or so for each minute of video and you will be on the right track..
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2014, 14:40   #25

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

Beautiful woman > boat wake
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2014, 15:10   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neeltje View Post
My thoughts exactly! Why, I just spent 5 consecutive years in France, and didn't get mugged once!

All seriousness aside, I've never circumnavigated, but I've been around, and the first thing I learned at a very tender age is not to expect what you were told to expect when you reached your destination.
This holds especially true these days, where you can find all the horror stories you want for a given destination on the Internet.

I suggest you pay attention to your surroundings, go with the flow, and if a mixture of camel dung and goat piss are the prevalent means of anti-mosquito protection, go with it. (You'll get used to the smell, the locals won't mind, and you'll look a whole Hell of a lot less ridiculous than if you're spraying yourself with OFF every 15 minutes.)

From what I've seen dramatized in the Press and on the Screen, piracy can be an issue in some waters, but if you're dumb enough to cruise those waters and ballsy enough to hide a .50 Cal long-range sniper rifle in your boom, those pesky Somali fishermen should be easily deterred with a shot or two off their bow.

I'm done traveling now, but if I had to do it to over, I'd do it over in a heart beat. There are so many things out there that you'll never feel, smell or taste on the Internet.
I don't believe everything I read on the net, but if the majority of posters here say the same thing, for example, I'd tend to believe it.

As a kid, I lived in Japan, Okinawa, Sicily, and spent a summer driving throughout Europe with my family. I've also lived in Hawaii and Key West, FL. I've also visited Mexico, Australia, Greece, Northern Italy, the Philippines, Hong Kong, Abu Dhabi, UAE, Singapore and South Korea. There is still a lot more of the world I'd like to see, mostly pristine, secluded beaches.

A friend of mine and his wife have traveled to a few different countries in the last few years, and he's told me of his experiences. One example was Egypt. He did enjoy seeing the pyramids, but the touts and constant shakedowns and filth made him wish he had never gone. He loved Turkey, India was too dirty and crowded for them. I'd rather take their advice and stay away from areas I know I wouldn't enjoy than waste time and money only to be sorely disappointed in the journey or destination.
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2014, 15:31   #27

Boat: 1995 hunter 430

I like the way you think.......you are a great addittion to this forum and I look forward to more posts
Navicula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2014, 15:52   #28

Boat: Cal 2-27

Looks like both of you are having a fantastic time. Enjoy the journey for what it is.
Fog Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2014, 15:55   #29

Options for getting across Indian Ocean:
1. Ship the boat (no mess, no fuss)

It looks like shipping the boat is still a viable option. I have received 3 quotes back from shipping companies and one is in our ballpark of prices. Even though we are both convinced we can sail the Indian Ocean from Bali to South Africa we'll see how we feel after some more long passages in the South Pacific.

We are also very disappointed that we will miss the Mediterranean which neither of us have sailed in. After getting the latest the quotes this option is looking much more attractive. Pirates in Somalia are a threat but so is the cape of good hope. And both of us have spent time in South Africa and agree it's not the safest place in the world.

For our boat an Islander Freeport 41 which is 46' LOA, 13'6" beam, 10' high, weighing 35,000 lbs the sevenstar yacht transport came in at the cheapest price:
$45,000 to ship from Brisbane, Australia to the Netherlands. It's not the Med but it is Europe and we could be in the med next summer. Not to bad. A quick mental calculation and it seems the cost is not that much more than sailing the route ourselves. Food for a year, fuel, wear and tear in the boat, medical expenses from malaria, dengue fever, small pox, cholera, yellow fever, insurance, bribes and theft. I can easily justify that cost. Why make life harder than it has to be? I won't be able to claim we sailed around the world but we will get to sail only the best parts of the cruising world.

Other quotes for those interested:
DYI $80,000 Brisbane to the Med
Aurora yacht logistics $66,000 Brisbane to Italy.

2. Sail the south Indian Ocean:
There are some very nice places we would could stop at along this route. The southern Indian Ocean looks really nice and the Maldives and Mauritius could be a lot of fun. It's a few long passages but we can handle that, at least we feel confident right now. The cape of good hope is a serious challenge that I could stand and be proud about. I do love South Africa and would enjoy spending some more time there but the cruising grounds are not comparable to the Mediterranean by any stretch of the imagination. Still, at this moment this is our planned route.

3. Sail through the Suez.
I have been looking for statistics on the number of private yachts that transit the canal and have been having a hard time finding strong information. It certainly seems that nobody does this route on a sail boat anymore because of the pirates. I have no interest in getting into a gun battle with desperate people with nothing to lose and I also know that I'm not going to give up and put my self at anyone's mercy. Getting held for ransom while my wife gets horribly violated is not an option of us. If pirates come it's us or them, there will be no surrender.
Here is what we are considering. My friend is in private security. An ex secret service agent, he used to protect Obama. Now he travels to the most dangerous places in the world and protects wealthy people for a living. He feels that the Horn of Africa is possible with the right preparation. As a professional security agent we would hire him to sail with us from Oman through pirate alley.

There would be standard operating procedures, for each pirate scenario we can foresee. Every emergency support agency available would be set up for quick contact through his professional network. He would stay up through the night while we sleep and be ready to snipe pirates during the day. He does this type of thing for a living so we would certainly sleep better at night. As I'm writing this it sounds so exciting I must explore this option more. Who wants to see some videos from this trip?

Captain Erik Ostrander
Old 13-03-2014, 16:35   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

Quote:
I have been looking for statistics on the number of private yachts that transit the canal and have been having a hard time finding strong information. It certainly seems that nobody does this route on a sail boat anymore because of the pirates. I have no interest in getting into a gun battle with desperate people with nothing to lose and I also know that I'm not going to give up and put my self at anyone's mercy. Getting held for ransom while my wife gets horribly violated is not an option of us. If pirates come it's us or them, there will be no surrender.
Here is what we are considering. My friend is in private security. An ex secret service agent, he used to protect Obama. Now he travels to the most dangerous places in the world and protects wealthy people for a living. He feels that the Horn of Africa is possible with the right preparation. As a professional security agent we would hire him to sail with us from Oman through pirate alley.
Think very carefully on that option.
Commercial ships face serious issues with having security personnel onboard for this passage, I would guess for a yacht it going to be even more difficult
A couple of Italian security personnel have spent well over a year in India waiting to go on trial for shooting at the wrong pirates. ( I think the case was eventually dropped)
I have not faced Somilian Pirates, but did spend time in Mogadishu in 92/93, and it's not a nice place to get caught up in.
In 2003 I ended up looking down the wrong end of an AK47 being held by a Nigerian "pirate". You asked if the pirates were scary, they are, really really scary.
Your mate might have a go at sniping pirates, not easy from a small boat, but them pirates, can be lots of them, and they have plenty of automatic weapons, and lots of RPG's.
My advise, stay well away. Attacks off Somalia are back on the increase.
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing