Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2015, 15:50   #1

Boat: Hunter,27.
circumnavigating long island

This will be my first post and I am excited about being apart of this community. I am planning on a circumnavigation of long island this coming June single handed Own a 27 hunter . I have made the trip from oyster bay down the east river to lindenhurst last year. Timed the passage thru hell gate just right and had no issues. I am looking for any advise on the passage along the south shore. I plan on staying on the inside of the great south bay and entering the ocean thru the moriches inlet. Looking for any advice or experience running the ocean around montauck. Time it took etc. I love to sail and am not looking to spend to much time ashore site seeing. Only looking to come into port if I need supplies but I will be packing the boat with supplies to make the trip only anchoring at night.
Thanks for any input and advice.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
wispering wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2015, 09:13   #2

Boat: Lancer 30, Little Jumps
Re: circumnavigating long island

Welcome, good to have you aboard.
Thinking some thin water and moving moving bars
in Moriches bay/inlet. If your draft allows and enough
water to navigate to Shinnecock inlet might be option.
Believe been a lot of movement since Sandy so suggest you
talk to Sea tow/us boats skippers or coast guard or both.
Under impression many experienced sailors will not do Moriches inlet.
You want a good patch of favorable wind/weather once outside as is
approx. 45 mile (10-12 hrs.) to Montauk with no place to go after Shinnecock.
Is good as days will be long in June.
Have done Orient to west most LI sound in one long overnight and have done same
taking a week. (Could spend a months in LI sound if you had the time.
Once around Montauk Pt. you must time your passage thru the race or plum gut with
the current and have enough time with favorable current to push pass eastern Long Island where you don't want to deal with opposing stong current.
On Long Island side, from Orient pt to Mt Sinai/Port Jefferson, approx 40 miles, is only one inlet Mattituck and approx mile up Mattituck creek is lovely basin/anchorage, very protected.
Port. Jefferson and west on LI side have good bays with easy access to anchor in,
on Ct side many good ports/islands, not always easy/straight forward access but
very worth while.
Can pick up a guest mooring at Steppingstone marina, my marina just west of Manhasset bay on LI side and say hello.
Hugo
hugosalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2015, 17:08   #3

When are you planning to make the run around LI? I too am considering that this season.
Chad ~ Procyon

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
D.C.Y. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2015, 06:16   #4

Looking at the second week in June.

Old 28-02-2015, 06:26   #5

Mattituck was the plan after passing orient point. I appreciate what you are saying about moriches inlet. I have the shoal draft so only need 3 feet of water. May be a good idea to anchor at the sore thumb and use one day to tuck in at shinicock then run around montauck. I don't think past moriches there is a draw bridge that will let me run thrust to shinicock without going into the ocean. May be a good idea to make the run to montauck in two days
Appreciate the info. Running the sound is not an issue its getting around to montauck where I want to be sure.

Old 28-02-2015, 06:33   #6

I would love to pickup a guest mooring in the manhasset area. Looking at the tidal charts for the time I want to make the passage I have to hit the entrance to hellsgate at 4am. Manhasset harbor will put me close to the entrance by the throgs neck.

Old 28-02-2015, 06:53   #7

Boat: Pearson P30

I'm planning the same circumnavigation later in the season, A friend of mine has a son at the Fire Island Coast Guard station, he states the Coast Guard no longer tends to the buoys in Moriches Inlet, it is non- navigable.

Based on that information I would not attempt using it.

Vince
S/V Flatline
P-30 No. 280

P30Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2015, 13:46   #8

I guess the decision is made! Shinicock on the first leg. I appreciate the information and am re planning. I will post trip updates as I go. Seems some are interested in this circumnavigation and maybe the input will help.
Thanks to all for this very important feed back.

Old 28-02-2015, 14:00   #9

4 or 5 days?

Old 28-02-2015, 14:21   #10

Oyster Bay
Sheepshead Bay
Shinnecock
Montauk
Mt. Sanai
Oyster Bay

I'm looking to sail only in daylight and prefer stop over with a mooring. Maybe a week is more realistic and shorter legs. It's the Atlantic part that is most unfamiliar. We sail out of Oyster Bay. 5'2" draft.

Old 28-02-2015, 18:33   #11

After sitting down and planning the route, taking into consideration tides and average speed of 4.5 knots I am looking at 5 to 6 days
Get to the sore thumb and the mouth of the ocean And over night.... sore thumb to shinicock ... Shinicock to montauck... Montauck to Mattituck.. Mattituck to northport... Northport to manhasett bay.... Manhasset bay thru the east river and home to lindenhurst

This is the plan and what I think I will keep to.

I love oyster bay harbor but think I can provision better if need be in northport.

Old 28-02-2015, 18:43   #12

Last year I did the trip from oyster bay and stayed over night at sheep's head bay. It took me 9 hours . Sheep's head bay was a beautiful stop over but watch the channel going in. Its very unforgiving and stay in it. It gets shallow fast out side if the boeys . I think sheepshead to shinicock is a far stretch. That's for me only. I will be going solo and don't have an autopilot. I know my limitations and think 10 hours under sail will push me. I don't think your draft will effect you as you will be staying out of the great south bay. If you stay in the channels I think you will be ok. Just check your charts.

Old 28-02-2015, 18:55   #13

Good plan. Keep us posted. I am looking at possible late May or August. To be clear in my last post I was not suggesting a time and route for you but rather tossing out a first pass at a plan for myself with the hopes that others on this site could offer experienced advice. I have never circumnavigated Long Island. I did last year sail from Martha's Vineyard to OysterBay via Cuttyhunk, Block, Stonington and Port Jefferson. I am looking forward to passing Hell Gate and sailing under the Narrows Bridge. As I continue to research the south shore I am somewhat puzzled as to the best places for overnight moorings/anchoring and how to piecemeal the Atlantic for this part of the circumnavigation. Looking forward.👍

Old 28-02-2015, 20:20   #14

Didn't think you where suggesting my route if I came of that way my apologizes. I appreciate you throwing it out there because I am looking for the same thing. I think a long island circumnavigation will be a great trip and very rewarding. IT will be interesting watching others posts on there trip around and there experiences. I wish you all the best and please keep me informed if you come across any more information. Please feel free to throw anything out as we all will benefit from others suggestions

Old 28-02-2015, 20:48   #15

Boat: Pearson P30

I'm very interested in your experiences in this endeavor, I hope to use whatever I learn for my circumnavigation. The difference with my trip is that I'll be starting from Fire Island Inlet.

Vince
S/V Flatline
P-30 No. 280
P30Dude is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Long Island