Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2011, 23:14   #31

Boat: looking
Re: Catamaran in the Philippines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce626 View Post
Apparently as the warden said to Cool Hand Luke - "What we have here is a failure to communicate." The paddle wheels are not for my catamaran - they are for the small local bancas typically used by poor fishermen here in the Philippines (and other nearby countries). The comparison is not with a propeller but with a paddle. I have paddled these small boats and it sucks - the wood paddles are heavy and the bamboo outriggers and their supports (amas and akas) get in the way big time and prevent long more efficient strokes. I believe that side paddle wheels would be a major improvement as one would be using the stronger leg muscles while sitting in a more comfortable reclining position (the upper body arm muscles are the ones used most in fishing - typically with nets)....
Having paddled these boats, I hear you! I think that paddle-power would be a great idea! In fact, I considered something like that(peddle power) when in Davao in the early 1990s. Aside from costs - mostly for a prop - the issue was with either having a shaft that could be raised - beaching, etc. - or a simple, workable stuffing box, cutlass bearing, etc. . The paddle wheel concept would alleviate most of this, but the weight could be an issue, forcing the ama below the surface. When I get back there, along with the 1,000 other things I want to accomplish, I'd be interested in messing around with such a project, if you're game. The property we bought in Balet, Samal Island, for a boatyard, is located within a fishing community, so lots of cheap pump boats to practice on.

Man, I can't wait to be done with bureaucrats, lawyers, etc., and get back to the place where my biggest decision was whether I was going to work or goof off each day - not that there was much difference between the two.

Bruce, just start a forum thread, here: Live in the Philippines and I'm sure that John M. will respond, if available.
Mike
bangkaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 23:39   #32

I started a social group for the Philippines:
Cruisers & Sailing Forums - Boats & Sailing in The Philippines
Old 08-06-2011, 00:19   #33

Boat: custom 42' catamaran

"I'd be interested in messing around with such a project, if you're game. The property we bought in Balet, Samal Island, for a boatyard, is located within a fishing community, so lots of cheap pump boats to practice on." - Yes, I am interested - but first I have to get my own boat working. Where is Samal Island - Davao? You might have noticed that there was a number in the post - it comes from a Word document that I jot down screwy ideas in - currently around 112 (with related entries and multiple ideas probably well over 150). I have sent this to various people on forums who have asked and sent an email to my gmail account so I can attach a reply. If you want the whole document, send me an email and I will attach it to the reply.
Bruce626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 01:08   #34

Samal is the largest island in the Gulf of Davao. Someone's recently built a marina on the north end & the "powers that be" are going ahead with a bridge from Davao to the Island & a better circumference road. Presently, there is a ferry service for vehicles & walk-ons.
Old 09-06-2011, 15:29   #35
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE

I have sailed my cat for nearly 9 years. We are getting close to 20,000 miles, and will soon add another 6000 in 3 months. I have had an engine problem occur a couple of times.

Once while trying to anchor, and another coming into a marina. I was nearly drug down to a low bridge when anchoring. It was a no problem with 2 motors, but neartly lost the boat. In the marina was a cross wind, and thank goodness there was 200 ft of empty dock, and we had out an army of bumpers. Start saving now, and get it as soon as possible. I do have another 25 years experience on top of owning the cat. They do build cats with ooutboards, or a central located motor.....i2f

Mike,

I will be over soon to see the site
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 13:40   #36

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Good to have you here.
kind regards,
Old 07-07-2011, 06:36   #37

i2f - "Start saving now, and get it as soon as possible." ==> Today I passed a shop in Mandaue in Cebu which advertized Kubota diesels. I had just finished reviewing all the pages on the multihull forum and a poster there said: "As for cost, look for Kubota tractor engines. They bolt directly to marine transmissions (I'm not sure about sail drives), are reliable and are found in every country on the planet. Also, rebuilt engines are very common and are 1/3 the cost of the marine equivalent. Which means that after adding the bits that are needed for your boat, they come in at 1/2 the cost of a marine diesel." Unfortunately, they did not mention what marine transmissions were direct bolt-ons. Do you have any idea how to find this out? I suspect that asking at the shop is going to produce blank looks.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:27   #38

Bruce626,
Sorry, responded to your post on the other thread: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post723632
Old 21-12-2011, 23:32   #39

Just an update. Tombobo Bay on southern Negros just took an almost direct hit from tropical storm Washi/Sendong which has been in the news since it killed a thousand people over on Mindanao. I can see Mindanao from the bamboo and grass hut on the beach where we rode out the storm. Some damage to nearby huts but no one was killed here.

Another catamaran owner anchored further down the bay suggested that I move my catamaran further in as it was in line with the entrance channel to the bay and was exposed to a lee shore in two directions. Since my engine is not yet operational (it was on the builder's mooring near the boatyard), he volunteered to push the boat with his inflatable dinghy (20hp outboard). I agreed that this might be a prudent move and we shifted the catamaran and it was easier than I thought - the outboard easily pushed the catamaran into a 15?kt headwind using only minimal power. The dinghy was secured to the port hull where my engine is and the boat steered fine.

After the storm passed, I went and looked at the boat. I was very surprised (pleasantly) to note that everything in the boat was were I left it - even two 1/4" ss rods I left on the salon table on a small square of washcloth had not rolled around from their 'T' positions, so apparently not much rolling or hobby horsing.

Several boats were damaged, apparently by other boats dragging. Lots of trees and power poles were blown down so power is a problem. All of the boats that were moored near the boatyard were fine so I probably overreacted by moving my boat - but this was my first major hit and I was nervous in not knowing what to expect.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:45   #40

What do you need of permissions in the Philippines for having a boat? Any VHF license, boat license? Membership of a club (e.g. Manila yacht club) to avoid being harassed by the cost guard all the time? Evidence of competence? (got an old coastal skipper examine but lost the certificate)
Old 08-08-2012, 20:38   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonhand View Post
What do you need of permissions in the Philippines for having a boat? Any VHF license, boat license? Membership of a club (e.g. Manila yacht club) to avoid being harassed by the cost guard all the time? Evidence of competence? (got an old coastal skipper examine but lost the certificate)
Are you a Philippine citizen or a foreigner? You don't need to be a member of a yacht club - typically a really expensive proposition here. All of my interactions with the Philippine Coast Guard have been uniformly polite and they made an attempt to be helpful, and always courteous. Perhaps because I have always sought them out to ask information, or perhaps because I am a foreigner. There has never been any 'harassment' that I have heard of - but I am down here in Tambobo Bay on the southern tip of Negros. Likely they would want to see any documentation to verify that the boat is registered somewhere and that you are the owner. I am sure that they will tell you what the requirements are if you just go in and ask politely. I expect to register my catamaran with the USA Coast Guard when it is finished. I have heard that there is some kind of license required to operate VHF on non-emergency channels, but I have never heard of any enforcement here. I would expect that currently the Philippine Coast Guard is too busy in the Manila area for any 'harassment' to take place - indeed, local Coast Guard units often have insuficient fuel to operate their boats to be wandering around looking for people to 'harass' - this could be a Manila thing, or perhaps someone looking for lunch money. If you own your own boat and aren't carrying passengers, I don't think than they care if you are competent or not - another question that you might ask them directly. And welcome to the forum - there are many others here with more actual experience in cruising a yacht here who will likely be able to give more direct information, Welcome Aboard!
Old 09-08-2012, 05:05   #42

Smile Re: Catamaran in the Philippines

Thank you for the nice welcome. I am foreigner with permanent residents (does that make me half Filipino?) and a very suspicious guy when it comes to what police and other officials can invent to get some lunch money, not without reason I should add. Yes I also heard VHF needs a license but not sure. Good to hear I am competent when I think I am. reanon to start brushing up I guess. Next thing is of course to get a boat that can float. I like Cats (as long as there are no large waves) and not entirely adverse to Wharram's designs (e.g. TIki 46). Happy to be the new member of the forum.
Old 12-08-2012, 13:34   #43

Boat: Com-pac 25

Dragonhand, have you been harrassed by the Philippine Coast Guard? If you have, I am sure you can file a complaint. Get the vessels name, number, etc. and file a complaint. Be very specific and detailed when you file. I have not found other cruisers bring this up as a problem.

If recent, this may be due to the increased tensions related to the South China Sea territorial disputes where the Coast Guard and Navy have been placed on high alert.
zUrchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 13:52   #44

Boat: Com-pac 25

Follow to my last post on the disputes for awareness of the South China Sea (West Philippine Sea) tensions. Here's a recent article with an image of how China sees it, vs. the various countries in South East Asia.:
BBC News - Has Chinese power driven Asean nations apart?

Be sure to check the map at the bottom of the article. A picture says a thousand words.

Very perplexing when you notice how far reaching China's territorial claim is. It's all about the finite resources of our planet. Most of these disputed areas (Sharborough Shoal, Panatag Shoal, etc.) are expected to be very rich in oil and other natural resources (not to mention marine life).
zUrchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2012, 21:11   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by zUrchin View Post
Dragonhand, have you been harrassed by the Philippine Coast Guard? If you have, I am sure you can file a complaint. Get the vessels name, number, etc. and file a complaint. Be very specific and detailed when you file. I have not found other cruisers bring this up as a problem.

If recent, this may be due to the increased tensions related to the South China Sea territorial disputes where the Coast Guard and Navy have been placed on high alert.
No personal experience, thanks for asking. But I have never seen any function in the Philippines that was not currupt. So I am only suspicious. Mostly services are also designed to be corrupt by law. But lets discuss boats instead.

About China, yes we must learn to call this the West Philippine sea and not submit to Chinas ridiculous demands.

Tags
catamaran, Philippines