Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2014, 03:14   #16

Re: Buying a Boat in Singapore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew73sp View Post
I m also considering to buy a boat in Singapore. Now thinking should I go for power or sail?
depends on your objectives ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew73sp View Post
Another thing is should I register in sg? Cause there is 7% gst. Seems a lot even if I m rich as the gst can be up to 10 over thousand.
some points to consider, apart from the saving in gst ...

if foreign registered -

- u will need to apply for a cruising permit each time u plan to sail in local waters ... not a big deal as the dockmasters office can do it online ...

- the maximum number on board cannot exceed the number that were on board when she last entered singapore waters !!! go figure !!!

- it cannot be chartered/rented/whatever the way a SZH can ...

hope this helps ...
BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 18:48   #17

Boat: Riviera 33'
Re: Buying a boat in Singapore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpey View Post
RSYC will have space, but its far too choppy to liveaboard on a monohull. Not sure how bumpy it'd be with a Cat though...
Nonsense. I've lived aboard at RSYC for a year now on a monohull. There is no "chop" at all. But yes, its rocky at times from the wake of the ferry tenders at the pier next door but only rolling swells, no "chop" as there is a wave attenuator between the pier and the marina.

I wonder how most boaters in Singapore even manage when under sail/power. Its not like your boat is totally still. During my time at RSYC I have had one glass fall over from the rolls. If you want absolute stillness, go live in a condo.

To the OP:
More on your living expenses:
* Utilities (I pay approx. $150 a month for electricity & water, with generous use of Aircon)
* Berthing approx. $500 for 10m boat
* Fuel (if you plan on taking the boat out)
* Maintenance they say 10% of purchase value
* Upgrades - add electronics, new fridge, toilet etc and we're talking $$$
* Boat boy - do you intend to clean the hull yourself or get someone else to do it? For the time/effort it saves me I pay $600 a month for all cleaning of my boat as well as trip preparation, odd jobs etc. My boatman is worth his weight in gold (and his smaller than me so can get into those hard-to-reach places!)
* Club dues (and don't forget the outlay on the initial membership...significant cost if you're looking at One Degree 15!)

Last time I enquired (late 2013), MKB and 1D15 had no berths available. RSYC is almost full and can only accommodate boats of a certain length.
Old 04-06-2014, 17:51   #18

Boat: Riviera 33'

I should also add that in 2012 RSYC bought the land/seabed on the pier side of their main wave attenuator, and the installation of a wave shield is the last part of their upgrade works (along with about 8 large berths at H/I fingers).

They've also met with MPA and the West Coast Marine Fire Station people, and the plan is to move the ferry tenders to the opposite side of the pier rather than the RSYC side.

So yeah, RSYC is worth consideration
Old 29-08-2014, 11:41   #19

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!

Tags
buying, singapore