Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2011, 14:12   #1

Bringing My New Home from FL to NYC

Just closed on a '97 Kirie 39 with swing keel and am planning to sail to NYC from Stewart FL to live at the 79th St. Boat Basin. First stop Norfolk, then Baltimore, then NYC. I've been sailing for years, some offshore, but am a bit nervous about a new boat and new technology (GPS, SSB).

I plan to leave early June to Norfolk, outside if weather permits, and would love some advice on estimated length of voyage and recommended weather resources. I am new to the boat, it is is 39', cruises @ approx. 6 Knots, has VHS, GPS, SSB. I would like to ride the Gulf Stream to save some time on my way ultimately to NYC via Chesapeake Bay. If I have a bad forecast, I will plan to make my way to Beaufort then inside.

Am I reasonable in giving myself 5 days outside to Norfolk (crew needs to leave by day certain) and what do you recommend as weather resources?

Thanks,
Justin
jbloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2011, 15:59   #2

Boat: Island Packet 380 - Delta Blues
Re: Bringing my new home from FL to NYC

Five days to Norfolk doesn't leave much margin for error. The stream is pretty far offshore from North Carolina and Virginia. Might take the better part of a day just getting from the stream to Norfolk. Took us five days to go from Amelia Island to Norfolk via Beaufort and the ICW.

79th St. Basin seems like a cool place to moor. We stayed there for a bit last fall and thought the location was ideal. Good luck.

https://sailingdeltablues.com/
dennisjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2011, 16:23   #3

I think staying in the gulf stream till beaufort. Then inside. Not sure if you could get a worthwhile current ride around the cape.
AllezCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2011, 12:33   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Re: Bringing my new home from FL to NYC

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Good to have you here.
kind regards,
Old 25-11-2011, 05:57   #5

Boat: Lagoon 440 (44'8")
Let me know when you arrive. (shoot me a message on here)

My wife, daughter and I are moving aboard soon. We currently live on the Upper West Side (of Manhattan, that is) near the 79th St Boat Basin.

-Myles
MylesK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2011, 07:06   #6

Boat: sloop 35'
Hello. Congratulations. Do you have a space at 79st? I hear its a long waiting list.
rossny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2011, 07:31   #7

Re: Bringing My New Home from FL to NYC

We're about half-way through the waiting list. Most likely we'll end up at one of the other marina's in the area... Liberty Landing, Newport or Chelsea Piers. They're more expensive, but more conducive to continuing on our more lubberly restrictions (like jobs).
Old 25-11-2011, 08:03   #8

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Justin -- how did your trip go?

Myles -- There's a good reason those other facilities are more expensive than 79th street. 79th and Chelsea are better than Liberty for access to Manhattan, but 79th is a very unprotected spot and the facility is nowhere as nice as the others. At 79th street you're rocked by constant wakes, and there is quite a fetch from all quadrants but East. You'd be vulnerable in winter storms and the strong NW winds that accompany cold fronts, and also vulnerable to major ice flows coming down the Hudson. There used to be marinas in New Rochelle that would accommodate year-round live-aboards... convenient Metro North commuter train access and much better protected. You should look into that as an option.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2011, 08:33   #9

Exactly. I've lived in Manhattan since '97. We actually do a good bit of sailing out of Chelsea Piers and were contemplating Liberty for our wedding. Chelsea Piers is fantastic (love the crew there) but it's very exposed and every wake comes rolling right through. That might not be a major factor for many people, but having a 6 week old it certainly made our list.

Newport Marina might be our choice--it's right by the PATH station which would be make it simple for me to get to work (on 23rd St).
Old 25-11-2011, 08:34   #10
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Myles, what's been happening at 79St these days?

Last I'd heard the city had replaced half the docks but the waiting list for liveaboards was also 10-20 years long, someone had to die or sell their slip with the boat still embedded in it.

Things have improved?
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2011, 08:45   #11

Hello Hellosailor,

The city has done a fantastic job with the path that now nearly circumnavigates Manhattan. 79th St hasn't really improved, tho. It's small and facilities aren't great. The wait-list is super-long.

I'd love to have the money to buy it and shape it up, make it more accessible and live aboard friendly.

-Myles
Old 04-12-2011, 05:16   #12

So we went to visit Newport Marina yesterday and were VERY impressed. They have:
- laundry
- clean heads/showers (separate men's and women's)
- 24 hour security
- wifi
- dockhands
- club room for members with free Sunday bagels and coffee for liveaboards
- laundry/dry cleaning delivery and pick-up
- power, water and plans to put in a pump out station
- free parking for liveaboards
And the commute to my office is about the same length of time as it is now!

So come April, we'll be there!
Old 04-12-2011, 05:39   #13
Marine Service Provider

I was at the 79th St Pier last week and by golly it was cold! I hope you have a heater in the boat you are purchasing! A few boats had the plastic wrapping, I assume they were ready for snow. It was an interesting place along the path there, very very quiet but looked like it must get very busy with people, particularly around the rotunda area. At home in Australia if there was a place like that it wouldn't be overly popular for foot tourists as they would favour the beach but I guess that is as close as Li get to a beach being so close to suburbia there.
ausaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 08:26   #14

Boat: 1990 Irwin 43 CC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ausaviator
I was at the 79th St Pier last week and by golly it was cold! I hope you have a heater in the boat you are purchasing! A few boats had the plastic wrapping, I assume they were ready for snow. It was an interesting place along the path there, very very quiet but looked like it must get very busy with people, particularly around the rotunda area. At home in Australia if there was a place like that it wouldn't be overly popular for foot tourists as they would favour the beach but I guess that is as close as Li get to a beach being so close to suburbia there.
Well the plastic wrapping is pretty much a "must here in the Northern US. Here at Constitution Marina almost everybody has them up. It conserves a lot of heat during the day and gives you a much larger living space

waterdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 15:37   #15

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

Welcome to Florida. Life is good here!

p.s. it's Stuart, not Stewart.

Tags
nyc