Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-10-2021, 02:54   #1

Bluewater NAV and course Plotting, Auto-pilot systems

Hello everyone,

would appreciate impartial feedback from veteran monohull sailors: as a newly retired, NON-computer IT whizzo, possess just the basics; which are the easiest, simplest, most user-friendly, least complicated, most reliable integrated systems for 54 footer bluewater cruising :

B&G, GARMIN, RAYMARINE, FURUNO or SIMRAD

Difficult question I know, as wide range of products on the market, but would like to try to get it right first time around, and not rely on distributors sales patter in order and keen to make a sale.

Any general feedback and views much appreciated, thanks.
SubSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2021, 12:43   #2

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Bluewater NAV and course Plotting, Auto-pilot systems

Welcome SS. That is a subjective request. Some are more partial to one brand than others. I am a Furuno fan.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2021, 13:02   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSea View Post

Any general feedback and views much appreciated, thanks.

Often the answer to these types of questions depend on what works for you in terms of use. For example, touchscreen vs. buttons. Often some manufacturer's menus confuse people, others like them. The answer is you have to do your own research and homework to find out what features YOU like, because whatever and when ever anyone replies by saying "X wins!" means that's what THEY bought and liked; then sit back and see all four or five of your candidates with the same answers!

Then go to a West Marine or other chandlery and try them out. In real life, real time.

My other reply is "It's like asking your mother what girl to marry or what car to buy." Think about it...

Good luck.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 13:27   #4

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Welcome.

I would suggest updating your profile with your general location and your boat make & model or “Looking” in the "Boat" category. This info shows up under your UserName in every post in the web view. Many questions are boat and/or location dependent and having these tidbits under your UserName saves answering those questions repeatedly. If you need help setting up your profile then click on this link: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3308797

I would happily help more if the link above is not enough.
Adelie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 14:48   #5

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean for the upcoming season. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland again next summer.
Boat: Antares 44i

I've used Raymarine, B&G, Garmin and currently own Furuno. I think Raymarine has the most intuitive, easy to use interface, and Furuno is the most reliable (but definitely not the least complicated). Just my opinion. There will be no definitive answer to such a question.
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 14:27   #6

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 37

I have simrad on my boat and it works fine. Superficially it is easy to use, but if you need to dig down to do/fix something, it gets less than intuitive. Mine is now 9 years old. I have been thinking about upgrading, and one thing to note is that simrad and B&G are owned by the same company. They are very definitely now differentiating their products with B&G aimed at sailors and simrad more to powerboaters for what that is worth.

On a personal note, I prefer a plotter with physical buttons rather than purely touchscreen.
Macdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 14:41   #7

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

As others have said, which brand comes down to personal preference. BUT...once yiu have chosen and brand, the easiest strategy is to stick w that brand for everything. Integration across brands is not what we would all like it to be and can become a serious PITA.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 07:27   #8
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
As others have said, which brand comes down to personal preference. BUT...once yiu have chosen and brand, the easiest strategy is to stick w that brand for everything. Integration across brands is not what we would all like it to be and can become a serious PITA.

I fully agree. Don’t cross brands unless there is a really good reason to do so.

Tags
Bluewater, water