Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2007, 14:48   #1

big dreams, fairly modest budget, a common theme

so far this is the best forum i have found to learn about the ins and outs of sailing, but i am curious if there is one that is specifically dedicated to blue water/live aboard for as cheap as possible?

my intentions, as most i would imagine, are to see the world on my own time and to spend virtually nothing. hahhahah, the problem is ill die trying no matter what anyone says. i would like to minimize spending on the actual boat and goodies so i can take 2 motorcycles and a jet ski with me, not just one motorcycle, hence my query as to a specifically budget oriented forum. i have no interest in suffering naysayers, having accomplished my fair share of the impossible in plenty of other areas in life, but i am realistic about how complicated it all is, and how much work it must take. i have no experience with sailboats, just the water and powerboats, and racing motorcycles. thats about it, i plan on continuing to devour every word about sailing i can find.

another stupid question to end with, are there boats that are more hybrid oriented, as in sail/motor...? if so, what are they called?

thanks in advance for tips and information and such
endlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2007, 16:22   #2
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by endlos
another stupid question to end with, are there boats that are more hybrid oriented, as in sail/motor...? if so, what are they called?
Motorsailer! Imagine that! Plenty of different variations on a theme. Stick around here long enough and you'll get the drift of all the jargon.

Welcome aboard endlos. Looking forward to following your adventures.
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2007, 20:59   #3

Boat: MacGregor 26M Lynx
Welcome aboard. Some people will not even take a bike on board because of the rusting due to salt water, others swear by them.

What you are asking for can be done but at what budget and what speed? If you are going to stay at a place for 3 days and then move 20 to 40 miles to the next, one speed does not really matter for a 1 year or more cruise.

Planing is 1/2 the fun.
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2007, 23:49   #4

Boat: Lotus 10.6
Boating and $nuthin$ is an oxymoron.
Don't want to burst your bubble but unless you want to sponge off others charity you will have to have some capital.
seafox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2007, 03:23   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
... are there boats that are more hybrid oriented, as in sail/motor...? if so, what are they called?
Here’s a few sites discussing hybrid "Motor-Sailers":

Motorsailers & Motorsailing ~ by Guillermo Gefaell, Naval Engineer
Motorsailers & Motorsailing

What's a Motorsailer? ~ several authors’ opinions
What's a Motorsailer?

The Motor-Sailer ~ by Trevor Bolt (Yacht Designer)
The Motorsailer

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2007, 06:03   #6

Boat: C&C 27
Quote:
i have no interest in suffering naysayers, having accomplished my fair share of the impossible in plenty of other areas in life, but i am realistic about how complicated it all is, and how much work it must take. i have no experience with sailboats, just the water and powerboats, and racing motorcycles.
Annie Hill has made a lot of money selling a book on how to cruise on very little money. Maybe you could be the person to sort this out and let the rest of the community benefit from the experience. Sailors and cruisers are fairly smart group of people. They have to be familiar with the wide variety of subjects that make up the sport. But sometimes having no experience in an area frees the mind from existing paradigms and allows new insight to be born. Right now the common formula seems to be 'education or training = job = money = cruising'. Like the old racing adage says: "To wage a winning campaign it isn't what you got, but what it takes." Keep us up to date.

pv
Pura Vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2007, 08:34   #7

Boat: Lagoon 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida
Annie Hill has made a lot of money selling a book on how to cruise on very little money.
That's funny.
Old 17-11-2018, 05:51   #8

Re: big dreams, fairly modest budget, a common theme

Just returned from Sailing to Mexico and back to Pensacola - almost 1500 miles in three weeks. The return was a difficult passage - we encountered a lot of weather (45kt winds and choppy 12' seas for about 6-hours).
1. I learned 'blue water' cruising isn't for everyone.
2. I learned sailing can be 'violent'. The boat is constantly moving - every move is planned - handholds are important.
3. I learned, watch schedules can be difficult at 3 am.
4. I Learned, on a heel at sea; going to the head is a task, making coffee takes a lot of time AND CAN BURN, hitting your head on something is inevitable, sea water WILL get in, your clothes will get wet, it's hard to read, you will stub ALL your toes, your knees will hurt, elbows hurt, hips hurt.\
5. I learned why deep sinks are important.
6. I learned that sailing is expensive.
7. I learned seasickness can last an entire passage and that crewmember becomes worthless.
8. I learned that as big as the Gulf is, some 900ft cargo ship will be on a collision course at 3 am...
9. I learned that arriving our destination was an incredible feeling of accomplishment and pride.

Thinking what sailing life is because of your sailing youtube addiction, isn't what sailing life is...be careful before making the plunge. Know what you're getting into.

~Chris
Chrisfromnc40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2018, 07:24   #9
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: big dreams, fairly modest budget, a common theme

Quote:
Originally Posted by endlos View Post
so far this is the best forum i have found to learn about the ins and outs of sailing, but i am curious if there is one that is specifically dedicated to blue water/live aboard for as cheap as possible?

my intentions, as most i would imagine, are to see the world on my own time and to spend virtually nothing. hahhahah, the problem is ill die trying no matter what anyone says. i would like to minimize spending on the actual boat and goodies so i can take 2 motorcycles and a jet ski with me, not just one motorcycle, hence my query as to a specifically budget oriented forum. i have no interest in suffering naysayers, having accomplished my fair share of the impossible in plenty of other areas in life, but i am realistic about how complicated it all is, and how much work it must take. i have no experience with sailboats, just the water and powerboats, and racing motorcycles. thats about it, i plan on continuing to devour every word about sailing i can find.

thanks in advance for tips and information and such
I had a friend who like you wanted to cruise and take 2 motorbikes with him.. a Harley FLH 1200 and a Harley Custom for the wife..
They ended up with a custom built Jongert with a hydraulic transom/garage door that stored their bikes and the dinghy.. basically a sailing RoRo..
But it was one helluva sailboat..
Oh.. Forgot to mention.. it cost them 2 million pounds back in the 90's..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2018, 08:33   #10

Boat: 29 ft

Let's start from the other side: How big a boat do you need?

Complete payload including provisions etc. should not be more than IIRC 20 % of the boat weight (Dave Gerr has a lot to say about this in "The nature of boats"). This alone would probably put you roughly in the 40 feet area.

If you want the bikes to arrive in good shape, you probably want to store them below deck. So, you need a big companionway to get them through. And space below and a means of securing them in a seaway. One definition of really seaworthy fit out is, that you can turn the boat on its head and shake it and everything stays in its place, also the stowed motorbikes. Or you need to disassemble them and move them below in parts and stow them there safely in parts. Below, they will take considerable space. Again, look in the 40 feet area for space. 22 feet will simply not do it. If in parts, mid 30's might already do it if you cruise alone.

Cheap? Fixer upper. Steel? Can you weld? Old steel boats in need of serious welding and lots of new paint tend to go cheap. Steel is cheap, it is the repair labour that is costly. And the paint. And the other stuff that is beyond serviceable and needs replacement ...
Hesti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2018, 09:46   #11

Boat: Pearson 367

Zombie thread-11 years old.
LLCoolDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2018, 09:56   #12

Boat: TBD

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCoolDave View Post
Zombie thread-11 years old.
Yeah too bad.
I was interested to see how one operates a sailboat big enough for 2 motorbikes and a jetski and spends virtually nothing.
I could have learnt a lot here.
Bob Morane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2018, 10:39   #13

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

One silly post asking unanswerable questions and then gone... could he have been a troll?

Well, whaddya think?

Jim
Old 18-11-2018, 05:59   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Thanks for sharing - that's a great post and I am sure there is a complete story behind every bullet point - LOL...

"4. I Learned, on a heel at sea; going to the head is a task, making coffee takes a lot of time AND CAN BURN, hitting your head on something is inevitable, sea water WILL get in, your clothes will get wet, it's hard to read, you will stub ALL your toes, your knees will hurt, elbows hurt, hips hurt.\"

I think is the one 99% of dreamers don't think about. It's kinda like going to space - doing any "every day" task on a boat underway is different or difficult or takes the "romance" outta the idea.

We had a crew mate that refused to sit down to pee because it wasn't "manly" - It took a while to figure out he was the guy pissing all over the head but once we sussed him out we voted him to be in charge of cleaning the head...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisfromnc40 View Post
Just returned from Sailing to Mexico and back to Pensacola - almost 1500 miles in three weeks. The return was a difficult passage - we encountered a lot of weather (45kt winds and choppy 12' seas for about 6-hours).
1. I learned 'blue water' cruising isn't for everyone.
2. I learned sailing can be 'violent'. The boat is constantly moving - every move is planned - handholds are important.
3. I learned, watch schedules can be difficult at 3 am.
4. I Learned, on a heel at sea; going to the head is a task, making coffee takes a lot of time AND CAN BURN, hitting your head on something is inevitable, sea water WILL get in, your clothes will get wet, it's hard to read, you will stub ALL your toes, your knees will hurt, elbows hurt, hips hurt.\
5. I learned why deep sinks are important.
6. I learned that sailing is expensive.
7. I learned seasickness can last an entire passage and that crewmember becomes worthless.
8. I learned that as big as the Gulf is, some 900ft cargo ship will be on a collision course at 3 am...
9. I learned that arriving our destination was an incredible feeling of accomplishment and pride.

Thinking what sailing life is because of your sailing youtube addiction, isn't what sailing life is...be careful before making the plunge. Know what you're getting into.

~Chris
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote