Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2011, 21:28   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to toth3op3ns3a
Begging to Learn

Hello all,

My name is chris, I am a 20 year old currently studying journalism in Boca Raton Florida. I am here because I am desperate to learn the sea, become a good crewman and navigator, and hopefully one day captain my own ship. I have 0 experience on any boat but what I lack in skill I believe I make up for with wit, a fun loving-positive attitude, and a relentless eagerness to learn. If there is anyone out there who is willing to take me on I am just someone who desperately wants to learn and become part of a ship, the crew, a family. I am available between may up to september, I would greatly appreciate any help and knowledge I can gain. thank you!!!

"Men Born to hang need Not fear the sea"
toth3op3ns3a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 22:21   #2

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'
Re: Begging to Learn

Hi Chris, my suggestions are based on the assumption you are on the standard student shoestring budget.

I would contact your nearby yacht clubs and offer to crew in any sailing races. Sometimes that is just 'rail meat' but you can observe a lot. You can also take some power squadron courses when you can afford it. I learned a lot by crewing from weather to planning a course on longer races and so fourth. 90% of our racers would take a new person in a minute although we're no where near Florida. Once these folks get to know you they will start to try and show you more. Basic seamanship will take you on to be any sort of mariner you choose. Start by learning the rules of navigation and what buoys mean. You can find those online or they're generally in the DNR boating handbook. (free at most boat stores) The library has a lot of resources too.

If finances are on your side I would take a sailing course. They aren't cheap but you learn a ton but basic seamanship remains the same. Check the power squadron near you as well. You can find many great people there.

Good luck!
SC
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 22:28   #3

Boat: Traditional 30

Ditto what he said.. Verbatum. Great advice.
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 13:26   #4

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

-- Some states have free or inexpensive boating safety classes.
-- Libraries will have books, maybe also sailing/boating videos.
-- Some yacht and sailing clubs have weekly / monthly/ annual open houses; occasionally they might even put boats in the water for people to ride
-- Clubs might be a good place to ask "Are there any owners who'd sail more if they had crew?"
-- Volunteering to help the race committee is another way to meet people and see sailing up close, and maybe get some good commentary
-- Community sailing programs and some clubs may offer relatively low-cost sailing time
-- Hanging around boat ramps and hoists, as well as walking docks where accessible, could be productive.
-- Of course you will sign up for yacht/sailing club crew lists (mostly on each club's web site) and be honest about your experience and stress your dependability and punctuality plus ability to listen and learn.
-- Perhaps a charity that takes kids or special needs people sailing, or a community sailing program, could use volunteers.
Old 20-08-2011, 14:07   #5

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Good to have you here. The US Coast Guard Auxiliary offers pretty good courses for about $40 and some clubs offer basic sailing courses very cheaply.
kind regards,

Tags
deckhand, learning, round the world, crew