Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-01-2008, 11:36   #1

Boat: Pearson, 323, 32 feet, Budjidao
Bayfield 32C

Hello Everyone,

I am trying to find out more reviews or opinions on Bayfield 32C boats to cruise the blue waters. I am new to cruising and this has been my dream for mostly all my life. Now that I am middle aged, my wife a "land lubber" and myself would like to try this out. Please can you advise me, and also let me know if this boat is suitable as well as other recommendations in the 32 foot range.

Kind regards

Alan
aland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2008, 15:08   #2

Boat: Angela M. Bayfield 32c
aland, Boat US had a good write up about the B32c last month...
billangiep/Bayfield 32c - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
billangiep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2008, 16:12   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Bayfields were solid built boats pretty much the whole line of boats are well done. Many are getting older so the condition of all the gear attached may be an issue.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2008, 19:18   #4

Boat: Voyage 38 Catamaran
I sailed on a bayfield 29 about 15 years ago. Although not fast, its long keel made it track like the devil and was quite confortable. As mentioned earlier these are well built boats, but you had better have a good surveyor to help pick the right beauty rather than the dog
Old 21-01-2008, 09:01   #5

Thanks guys. I appreciate it.
Old 21-01-2008, 13:23   #6

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Alan,
Welcome aboard!! There are a whole lot of books in the public library on boats and cruising and sailing if you haven't started reading on the subject yet. What I'm saying is that you don't have to buy them, just check them out.
I think the size boat you have picked is great. The Bayfield has a reputation of being solid but slow. Since you are not going to be racing then it doesn't matter how slow they are. When they say a cruising boat is slow that means that it is slow in acceleration and light winds not in top end speed in about 12-15 knot winds. There are a lot of boats in that length up to 36 feet that would be good to look at.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2008, 18:35   #7

Thanks SkiprJohn,

I am really excited, and am looking forward to it. What other boats are good blue water cruisers in the 32 foot range. Again I am not looking for a racer, but a good and seaworthy cruiser with a shallow draft and a decent size beam. The reason why I liked the B-32C was its distinctive shape and its strength... however I am not stuck on it as I yet have to make up my mind....hope it will be soon.

Kind regards

Aland

PS: I also appreciate all the wonderful feedback and the friendly advice from everyone.
Old 21-01-2008, 19:58   #8

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Alan,
Westsail 32, Allied 32, Bristol 32 are just a few. If you can find a Fuji or Mariner 32 in good shape they are very seaworthy.
Good luck in your search.
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2008, 20:16   #9

I agrre with John on the Bristol.
Lydia
Lydia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2008, 22:52   #10
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
As the previous owner of Bayfield 32 it would not be high on my list for bluewater sailing. The construction is 'reasonably' solid, but if you compare displacement with other cruising boats of the same vintage it is decidedly on the low side. Structurally, it would also need to have the bridgedeck raised to the height of the cockpit seats before heading offshore.

In addition, the original standing rigging is a bit light and the winches are probably a size below ideal. Tankage would need to be significantly increased and, despite what appears to be a fairly roomy interior, storage space is limited. You should keep in mind that it was originally introduced as a '30' - the extra 2 feet are in the bowsprit and not the hull per se.

That being said they are certainly 'salty' looking, have a nice high (read dry) bow, a decent anchoring platform, they are easy to handle, forgiving, well balanced, reasonably shoal draft, have the advantage of a cutter rig for the stay sail/storm jib, have 2 proper sea berths, and all were equipped with diesels rather than the ubiquitous Atomic (bomb) 4 of the 70's and early 80's. For the Bahamas (or even the Caribbean), it would be fine. For offshore...

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 12:50   #11

Boat: Bayfield 32C ARGOSY
Bayfield 32 C

Hello Alan, I do own a 1988 one of the last 32-C made and I do enjoy every minute I am on her back since 1995. She ride very confortable in rought chopy seas and has just 3'9'' of dregging wich permit you to sneek into shallow creek or near the beaches wen you want to refresh a little.
To me saying is a slow machine is wrong. She is very well sail balanced and the fragmented sail that a cutter offer is very handy for a single handed cruiser.

See the attached photo.

With friends that have other sailing boat in same lenth and go out with, I can only tell you that we set anchor at the same time at the end of a day cruise.

Mike.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BAYFIELDBW.jpg
Views:	1610
Size:	213.1 KB
ID:	8493  
Mike1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 13:09   #12

she''ll sail circles around a Westsail, but is smaller inside. The Fuji's are good and similar draft. Personally I dont believe heavy displacment buys you a lot in that size boat. My Rawson 30 , although full keel, was actually lightly built. The thickest glass I saw in it was about 3/8"'. It floated over the waves rather than wallowing in them like a heavy small boat. It took me from the Pac NW to mexico and back and was every bit as seaworthy as my Passport 47, and actually a drier boat!, (the Passport was beautiful but weighed about 44k lbs according to the travelift!) Because the Rawson was such a dry boat, I didnt worry about the bridgedeck theshhold being low or the cavernous cockpit. I added a huge cockpit drain out the transom and kept the bottom boards in the companionway if the wx piped up. Some good comments about winch size etc above.....
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 19:46   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32
Re: Bayfield 32C

Have a look at the Douglas 32 ..are a few for sale and they are well built and it has what I consider to be nice lines and a very good motion and a real bridgedeck is already there..it was built for offshore work and it is very well balanced and if that is not enough it was designed and built by a Canadian so you should be able to find a few nearby..good luck..DVC
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 19:55   #14
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

nothing wrong with a bayfield--- decent boat designed by gozzard, sail nice.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2012, 11:47   #15

As someone who is new to CruisersForum, let me say how great it is to see how helpful and knowledgeable the responses are to the Bayfield Cutter query. The quality of people makes me proud to be a part of this "neighborhood".

CruiserMIKE
CruiserMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote