Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2015, 19:33   #31

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'
Re: Aussie SouthCoast 36 Yachts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocking View Post
Hey all,

Need to get a new anchor but can not find any reference to how much the SC36 weighs, any ideas? I would imagine that they would all be similar.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Hi, I bought a sarca excell #6 for my fisher 32, probably a little oversized but it works very well, your south coast has about the same windage as mine so would probably be a good fit.
Boat is moored just down from your mooring in gawley bay, if you want to have a look at the anchor give me a yell.
BTW how did you get on re the engine ?
Cheers Bob.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 19:36   #32

Boat: South Coast 36

Yup, my survey says nine tonnes displacement. She's carry a Rocna and spare CQR, both on 10mm chain (not currently sure of chain length, though - all I can tell you for sure is that looking in the chain locker, it's lots!) Looking at the chart on the Rocna site, you want a size 20 (20kg) to suit up to 12 tonnes; the 25kg takes you to 20 tonnes. Chart is here: Sizing Guide | Rocna Anchors // Rock Solid
Adam M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 19:43   #33

I probably won't be around then but Voyager II will be. Plans have changed - I'm not going to England for Xmas and I'll be sailing south for the hols instead. New rigging goes on mid-Oct now, so I'll be there for that (great learning opportunity, plus engine service). If you want to have a little look, she's on a mooring at RMYC Toronto.
Old 02-09-2015, 19:50   #34

With the CQR (http://www.offshoreblue.com/assets/r...hor-sizing.pdf) Looks like 25-35lb depending.
Old 02-09-2015, 21:51   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Scamp View Post
Hi Mocking

I came out of the water the other day, on a travel lift, and Sea Scamp weighed in at 8.5tons I would allow for at least 10ton if I was buying a new anchor.
Sea Scamp has got a 25bl QRC plough anchor (swivelling head) hanging off one hundred metres of 8mm gal chain, which I have set, now in both sand and soft mud in strong currents and wind, with limited chop and the anchor has not triped or dragged even after swinging through a full 180degrees every tide change, in saying that when the time comes to up grade the anchor I will be going up a size or two.

Cheers

Shane & Tracey
Hi Shane

I am guessing you mean a 25 lb CQR anchor. If so 25lb is approximately 11 1/2 kilo's. That seems far to small. I currently have a 25 kilo CQR and had to pull it a couple of times by hand. Too damn hard. The original owner liked everything over sized and this is no exception.

Thank you for the weight and I agree, should allow 10 tons. So I can go and look it up now.

Regards

Manni

Mocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 21:55   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Hi, I bought a sarca excell #6 for my fisher 32, probably a little oversized but it works very well, your south coast has about the same windage as mine so would probably be a good fit.
Boat is moored just down from your mooring in gawley bay, if you want to have a look at the anchor give me a yell.
Cheers Bob.
Hi Bob

Yes saw those at the boat show, they look very impressive with good reviews. I hope my mooring is still there as I am bringing Salmo back from Pittwater this weekend.
I will tell you about the motor when we catch up.

Cheers

Manni

Old 02-09-2015, 23:35   #37

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Oh, come on now, Mocking, you said you'd tell US about it!

Ann
Old 03-09-2015, 02:18   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Cheers Bob.
Hi Again Bob, the Anchor Right Australia site recommends your size anchor for a 15 mtr to 17 mtr 15 to 21 ton boat? I think you are safe.
Old 03-09-2015, 02:40   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Oh, come on now, Mocking, you said you'd tell US about it!

Ann
Hi Ann

it is still not over. After the first "boat is ready" whooppss look at that we forgot to do the oil change, didn't put the heads back etc etc.

They had another go at it. It has been with them 5 months now and I have had enough of them. There are still some water leaks from the head. The bilge pump is not working, I suspect that some of the engine insulation that they ripped down got into the pump. Even though they claim to have vacuum the bilge. And there was notably smoke from burning oil in the engine bay when I ran it. Which he sounded surprised to hear BUT they ran the engine for 4 hours and no one reported it?? supposedly
They sent me a proforma invoice for me to "have a look at" yesterday. Total price $5,950.00 It does not even reflect that I paid in good faith $3,000 back in June.
The guy which I have been dealing with has gone to Bali today for 2 weeks.
From emails conversations with etc , I believe $4,500 would have been much more realistic.
Before I forget I have also had to pay the marina $1,000 for the boat being on their mooring for the past 2 months.

Plan is offer them another $1,500 which means this exercise has cost me 5 months of not having use of the boat plus $5,500 cash.
If he does not accept that I will go legal on them and a copy of their invoice and my story will be plastered on every web site with anything to do with sailing.

Not revenge but just to make others aware.

Regards
Manni
Old 03-09-2015, 17:54   #40

South Coast 36 sail options

So while I sit in Melbourne and dream of sailing, here's a question for you all: which sails do you use most? I'm assuming most, if not all, are sailing as couples, maybe occasionally solo or with an extra pair of hands.

A couple of friends have asked me whether I'll be using a spinnaker or asymmetric but my experience with them is that they're fast but just too much work for cruising and a SC36 isn't a race boat.

If you have a ketch, do you make much use of the mizzen? I have three very experienced friends who are fans but most sailors I talk to have never used one - I haven't.

Not attempting to create a definitive answer, just interested to hear what people use, like and find effective.
Old 03-09-2015, 18:14   #41

Hey Adam

I generally just use the head sail when with non sailing friends as they don't like the healing. When alone I will use both unless wind is from aft then again just head sail to ensure I don't have an accidental jibe.
I guess this is also the easiest for me. I don't have a spinnaker on board and would probably never use it around the bay. Only if I was heading to the Whitsundays with a southerly. 😊

Old 03-09-2015, 18:51   #42

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
Re: South Coast 36 sail options

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam M View Post
A couple of friends have asked me whether I'll be using a spinnaker or asymmetric but my experience with them is that they're fast but just too much work for cruising and a SC36 isn't a race boat.
I think the SC36 is similar in a lot of ways to the Swanson 42, and the Swanson loves the asym. Just absolutely loves it.

And I find the asym (with a sock) less work to manage than any of the sails with the exception of the roller furled headsail. If you have an asym already and have not yet tried it, my suggestion is give it a go, you may be pleasantly surprised. I use ours in anything up to 10 knots apparent, and from fully astern with a whisker pole to about 55 degrees apparent. I would be surprised the SC36 was very different.

Matt
Old 07-09-2015, 20:58   #43

Re: South Coast 36 sail options

I don't have an asym yet - used one and a spinnaker on a friend's boat, racing on Port Phillip Bay, so hardly a reasonable comparison.
Voyager's equipped with a Genoa and a staysail, both on furlers, (plus main and mizzen) so applying the photographers' rationale that the best camera in the world is the one you've got with you, I should learn to use what I've got before finding exciting new ways to pour money in the ocean. But always interesting to hear different points of view.
Old 18-12-2015, 04:01   #44

Hi Mocking

How have you found the SC36 in terms of sailing into the wind? I am interested in a SC36, but one comment I have had was that I would find myself motoring more because the SC36 wont point up to the wind.

Garry
Gazzza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2015, 14:50   #45

Boat: Nicholson 31 1982

Hey Sea Scamp, was that the Black masted SC Ketch you purchased? Jeff
Boxertwinjeff is offline   Reply With Quote