Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-09-2010, 09:49   #1

Boat: Cheoy Lee Clipper 42
At Last . . . at Long, Long Last . . .

I have been cruising the forums for a while, but now the decision to finally really go cruising has been made the work really begins.
I must congradulate almost all the forum members for being a fantastic source of information and enlightenment.
My wonderful girlfriend has agreed to outfit our 1977 Cheoy Lee Clipper 42 and ourselves for a few years cruising with no final destination in mind.
We only have a short list of upgrades to make her passage worthy, thankfully, but experiece tells me that short list always becomes longer and longer the closer you get to leaving the marina.
So hello to all and I will be around for the next few months getting a little more involved and asking questions where I can.
Information from other cruising Cheoy Lee Clippers would be fantastic.

Chris.
ChrisClipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2010, 17:27   #2

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Welcome Chris, great boat and have a great adventure. Be sure to take lots of pictures to post! Cheers,
Erika
Old 29-09-2010, 18:59   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisClipper View Post
I must congradulate almost all the forum members for being a fantastic source of information and enlightenment.

Chris.
Welcome aboard Chris and your plans sound great.

Now who are those members that are not a fantastic source of information? We'll get rid of them right away - (just kidding...)
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2010, 19:20   #4

Location: Paradise (better known to most people as: Philippines)
Boat: 65' Custom Steel Ketch
Now that's a beautiful boat. I looked hard at one with my family before we decided on a Morgan 41 sloop for our first sailboat. The Clipper is definitely a sexy, elegant ride. Great, great boat.

My only advice would be concerning your launch time. You can't get everything you'll need. It's impossible. You can't even get everything you'll think of. My advice would be along the following lines:

Instead of trying to get extra turnbuckles, properly sized bolts and perfectly sized hose, bring lots of varied size hose clamps, extra snatch blocks, a few meter long pieces of all-thread that correspond to the size of, oh, say your boom mounting pin and your deck rigging. And plenty of washers and nuts. I also now carry an assortment of good, high quality drill bits, a few pieces of random thickness steel, and a buttload of hacksaw blades. You never know what you'll have to do, but you *will* think to yourself "I could fix this for less than a McDonald's Happy meal if there were an ACE Hardware nearby!" Problem is...

Great to hear about your pending adventures. I wish you the best of luck!
NotQuiteLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2010, 19:38   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

You've a beaut' boat there... been in love with them for years...
Good luck and I hope the short list stays short...
Got no helpful info tho' so I'll swerve...

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2010, 19:44   #6

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
We started out with a new yacht, and so it was much easier to pick a time to set out. We had to get to the Panama Canal before hurricane season, and we left, ready or not.

It actually took six months to outfit Exit Only and then we left. I don't think hanging around any longer would have done us any good.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2010, 21:19   #7

Location: Paradise (better known to most people as: Philippines)
Boat: 65' Custom Steel Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxingout View Post
It actually took six months to outfit Exit Only and then we left. I don't think hanging around any longer would have done us any good.
I came to the exact same conclusion outfitting my boat for crossing the Pacific. You can always come up with more that you'd like, or things that you could foresee using, but at some point you just have to shove off. Do your best to have MacGuyver tools onboard, go over all the contingencies you can think of, and then launch.

It's always intimidating going out on a tub into the great blue wild. That's at least a small part of the fun, isn't it?
NotQuiteLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2010, 05:03   #8

Clipper

Thanks everyone, the fun starts next weekend with "the list", haul out and cleaning. Bow sprit to stern inspection for "the list" and plan for winter work.
The brightwork took a little beating last winter but Jo loves, actually loves !!!!!!, to do varnishwork so she will be happy for a while i think.
MariSol actually has a CNG stove in her which is in great condition but i will either replace it or convert it to propane burners. I am actually intrigued with the Wallas diesel stoves, so if anyone wants a CNG stove and tanks drop me a line.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0107.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	440.1 KB
ID:	19689  
Old 19-10-2010, 13:21   #9

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and welcome aboard!
Its good to have you here on the forum and I wish you happy cruising.
kind regards,
Old 19-10-2010, 15:07   #10

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Welcome aboard...Sorry I made your useless list but tough nuts...

Pretty boat!

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2010, 15:11   #11

Boat: Far East Mariner 40
Does your girlfriend have a sister?
Old 20-10-2010, 05:14   #12

Thanks everyone, how rare it is to have someone who loves brightwork these days??? Great on the helm, she cooks amazing boat meals and is light enough to crank up the mast with ease, and no she doesn't have a sister.
Old 20-10-2010, 05:32   #13

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'
Lovely boat – there was a Cheoy Lee Clipper 36 for sale down here that I unfortunately missed. (As per, “Twenty Affordable Sailboats to Take You Anywhere”) Seems like I got the smaller sister again from a totally different yard.
Old 11-07-2011, 11:11   #14

Re: At Last . . . at Long, Long Last . . .

Long time no post, been busy with work - getting the house ready and getting the boat ready. As probably everyone knows it is one thing after another. Each repair or upgrade reveals another thing that just has to be fixed. So the Clipper has been on the hard a few months now. Cabin has been stripped and white alwgrip keeping the teak eyebrows and trim as much as practical. Then the hull was sanded - more issues from scuppers etc etc etc etc. and now is primed up for the hull paint job.
Meanwhile the girlfriend/mistress objected to the old name so we now have to go through the whole ritual to re-name it. I personally think she just wanted an excuse to drink champagne on the bowsprit and shuck a few oysters with Grey Goose chasers.
So in another 10 days or so she will be back in the water, then comes the shake out sailing to figure out what else need to be done. So if you see a flag blue hulled Cheoy Lee Clipper 'Domina' floundering around Rappahannock and the Chesapeake, throw us a line and come say Hi, one thing is guaranteed .... there will be a cold beer and dark and Stormy's on board.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:53   #15

Re: At Last . . . at Long, Long Last . . .

Been a couple of months but we think quite productive.
Hull is faired and painted.
Head switched out for a Natures Head, and all that came with the old style head thrown off the boat and 'surprise' all the assiciated smells.
Shake out sail was great fun and she goes like a train but I need to sort out the rigging and lines to the way I like them.
The guys at Rappahannock Yachts that have been doing the heavy lifting have done a great job so far. Next week is electrical and week on the boat plus a couple of overnight sails out to the gulf stream and back to keep working out the kinks.
We are still reducing our land based footprint and are reducing our holdings to boat specific only and it feels great.