Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-11-2015, 07:46   #1

Artist Onboard

Hello All!
I’m new to the forum, but not new to sailing. I used to sail with my Uncle in Florida out of St. Pete.
He passed away in 2011 so I haven’t been on a boat since. I recently came across an opportunity to get back on the water! Yay!

I will be sailing in St. Thomas and the BVIs on an Island Packet 370 in mid December. I’m a watercolor artist and plan to sketch and paint as we go. Are there any other artists out there sailing?
Do you have any neat tips or tricks to share? I’ve painted plein air before, but not on a sail boat.

Glad to be a part of the water world again!
SuePro
SuePro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2015, 11:40   #2

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
Re: Artist Onboard

Sue, I too am an artist, although I'm a studio painter. I do primarily oil portraits and figurative works. You can see my paintings at www.michaelwitenstein.com. I'm afraid I don't have any suggestions for you. My work is very tight and realistic. If I tried painting on the boat even at anchor I'd have to convince my clients that their portrait was "cubist" on purpose.

When we moved aboard 3 years ago I brought my painting supplies, some canvases, a French easel, etc. but after a year I took them off the boat and put them in storage. I have a friend who paints in watercolor when he is ashore and it seems to work for him. I've been contenting myself with taking photos for reference when I get back into a studio situation.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2015, 11:55   #3
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Howdy Suepro and Welcome Aboard CF!

I am an artist and sailor too. Unfortunately I am not "out there" on a boat yet, but when I get my boat I will make sure to have my supplies with me (watercolor) and intend to spend many hours making some watercolor run.

Caution: when I say I like to paint boats, I am offered an invitation to paint boat bottoms. I will only do that for close friends and myself in the future.

Have fun on your trip and enjoy the forum!
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2015, 11:56   #4

Boat: Jeanneau 44i SO

Welcome back to sailing and such a great place to get back into it. And the Island Packet is a great boat to get back into sailing. Painting on a rolling boat at anchor would be tough. Maybe stopping at a nice beach, going to shore and painting the boat or some other scene from the beach would be a good way. You will probably stop at a few small towns with some great scenery of shops and beach places.

Have a great trip and have a few painkillers or dark and stormy's and just enjoy the water, the sailing, the good food and drinks, warm weather, and have some fun. Take lots of pictures and paint them when your on solid ground.
l2ridehd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2015, 11:58   #5

Sue, you're in good company. Winslow Homer was a sailor who spent a fair amount of time in Key West and made several trips across Gulf Stream to the Bahamas who also did a lot of watercolors.

As far as artist as sailors go, in my opinion artists represent about the same proportion of the sailing community as they do the general population, and sadly that is not a very big proportion.

Oh well. The nice thing about artists is that they really only want two things, their bread and their art. Welcome aboard!

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...rt-120462.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	126
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	113527   Click image for larger version

Name:	Homer,-STOWING-SAIL,-BAHAMA.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	113530  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20140207-224101.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	355.7 KB
ID:	113531  
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 04:31   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, SuePro.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 15:02   #7

Boat: Macgreggor Venture 22

It's nice to see there are so many artists out there that have learned to join two passions, or at least wonder how to do so. I plan to live aboard one day and the first thing I plan to load onboard are my brushes and oil paints...

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Curious Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote