Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-08-2018, 18:38   #1

Anyone know?

Hello all, I'm buying a house and the owners are leaving their old sailboat behind, pictured below. So if anyone can help with who the manufacturer is, boat length, etc I would appreciate it! Also, assuming almost everything in this boat needs to be replaced, what should I expect to pay just for parts? Thanks all for your knowledge.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180829_115548.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	424.9 KB
ID:	176427  
Cpoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2018, 19:00   #2

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Anyone know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpoit View Post
Hello all, I'm buying a house and the owners are leaving their old sailboat behind, pictured below. So if anyone can help with who the manufacturer is, boat length, etc I would appreciate it! Also, assuming almost everything in this boat needs to be replaced, what should I expect to pay just for parts? Thanks all for your knowledge.
Welcome aboard Cpoit! Somewhere in the receses of my memory the name popped up, I have no idea why:

AMERICAN 26/27 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

but I know nothing about where to get parts specific to that make. BUT, you don't need to. Most stuff will be off the shelf at a chandlery or hardware store and I would not expect to pay much for any parts, it is not a big boat, and it is meant for lake sailing and easy-going coastal sailing I'd say. If she has sails I'd probably just scrub her down and take 'er out for some fun daysailing and some local gunkholing! Good luck! Let's see a shot of her after she's cleaned up!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 10:19   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Cpoit.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 14:58   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Cpoit,

Without knowing if you WANT the sailboat, you should understand if it is worth nothing, now, you will at least be responsible for disposing of it, and that can cost quite a lot. That sum could be taken off the cost of the house and applied to fixing up the boat if you want to keep it.

There is a saying around here that free sailboats are the most costly. So beware, you're entering a whole new world. BOAT stands for "Bring out another Thousand (dollars).

However, a nice trailer sailor can provide hours and hours of pleasant activity. Good luck with the decision.

Ann
Old 04-09-2018, 15:24   #5

Boat: None

This boat probably has a negative value, and arguably is being dumped on you by the home seller. By negative value, I mean it's probably impossible for you to sell it, and probably equally impossible for you to give it away, and to get rid of it, you'll have to pay someone to haul it off and dispose of it for you.

I advise that you deduct the cost of disposing the boat from the final price of the home. And then you can decide if you want to fix it up. But you should know that you can buy a ready-to-sail boat in this size range for a scant few thousand dollars; and probably for far less than you'll spend to bring this one to ready-to-sail condition.
Caribbeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 15:39   #6

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
I advise that you deduct the cost of disposing the boat from the final price of the home.
Agreed! That boat appears to be a liability, not an asset, and deducts from the net value of the property.

Sad but true...

Jim
Old 04-09-2018, 16:14   #7
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpoit View Post
Make them haul it away '!!!
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 16:43   #8

I agree that the boat is a liability.

You say you "are buying" - as in "the deal hasn't closed yet". If you haven't yet even made an offer for the house, then make the offer subject to the seller removing the boat. If it's too late for that, then buy a chainsaw. Butcher the boat and haul the bits off to the dump and pay the fee. Then sell the saw for half price :-)

You COULD, if you have nothing more productive or pleasant to do, clean up the boat, spend a few grand, say ten, on making sure an outboard engine and the rig (if the boat still has sails for the mast I see in your pic) are up to snuff. Then take her out for gentle daysails. But you can buy a boat, ready to go, for five grand if you really want to be a sailor.

If you really would like to become a sailor, then teaching yourself on a "project boat" is not really the best or cheapest way to do it.

All the best

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote