Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2009, 12:16   #16

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Aaron,
Welcome aboard! "Start Sailing Right!" is really a great book for beginning sailors. It explains things very well. Once you get through that book then start with the subjects of boat construction and systems then communications and navigation. Pretty sharp learning curve for a year but jump right in.
If you have specific questions there are a lot of folks here that can help you. Just put your questions in the appropriate thread under the right discussion and you'll get plenty of answers.
kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2009, 12:44   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Otter View Post
Hi Aaron, we are glad to have you, i'm 16 and I got AmericanSailingAssociation BasicKeelBoat certified last saturday, it allows me to charter anything around 20' anywhere, first day of cert. class I was skipper of a Cal27 up to gainsville and back to the dock (about 20mi.) in 2-3' of chop with 15-25knot winds, I have previous expirence sailing and have found that the easiest way to learn is to do, but like everyone else said if you have any questions just ask.
Just a word of caution. The charter companies, not the sailing schools, determine who can charter their boats. The area in which I sail has a large tidal range and passes with nasty currents. Folks with advanced sailing credentials, but no tidal experience have had to take a skipper along for a couple of days.

On the other hand highly experienced sailors with no certification have chartered without difficulty. While I have been asked for my sailing resume, no one has ever asked to see my logbook.

Obviously, as an instructor, I am all for lessons and certification. But experience in the conditions found in the area in which you intent to sail is essential.

Jack
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2009, 13:21   #18

Boat: Tashiba 40
Hi Aaron,
Be careful saying, "I'm game" in Oklahoma you just might get shot and mounted. I know because I'm from SW Kansas. The lucky thing for you is you have a lot of nice lakes right to the east and south of you that you can learn on. Texhoma has a huge sailing community (that's where the beautiful Valiants are built) and a lot of them have ended up right here in the Bahamas, that is where my cap'n learned to sail. You also have Grand Lake and I saw a few sailboats out on Keystone when I went by in September. Just start hanging out at the marinas and check Craig's list and the classified for used sailboats and your on your way. Which town are you from? I'm originally from Liberal, KS just 5 miles from the OK border.
Old 15-01-2009, 16:45   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
Aloha Aaron,
Welcome aboard! "Start Sailing Right!" is really a great book for beginning sailors. It explains things very well. Once you get through that book then start with the subjects of boat construction and systems then communications and navigation. Pretty sharp learning curve for a year but jump right in.
If you have specific questions there are a lot of folks here that can help you. Just put your questions in the appropriate thread under the right discussion and you'll get plenty of answers.
kind regards,
JohnL

Thank you sir for the advice and warm welcome. I will get that book and soak up as much as I can. I hear you about the sharp curve, I do have a bit of extra motivation though in the form of a lovely young lady in Florida! Any advice on books covering the other things you mentioned.
superA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2009, 16:50   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agur's Wish View Post
Hi Aaron,
Be careful saying, "I'm game" in Oklahoma you just might get shot and mounted. I know because I'm from SW Kansas. The lucky thing for you is you have a lot of nice lakes right to the east and south of you that you can learn on. Texhoma has a huge sailing community (that's where the beautiful Valiants are built) and a lot of them have ended up right here in the Bahamas, that is where my cap'n learned to sail. You also have Grand Lake and I saw a few sailboats out on Keystone when I went by in September. Just start hanging out at the marinas and check Craig's list and the classified for used sailboats and your on your way. Which town are you from? I'm originally from Liberal, KS just 5 miles from the OK border.

I hear ya, I'm a hunter myself, backed up to 480 acres with wheat, woods and a running creek! (forgive my boasting) I live in Weatherford, OK which is 60 miles west of Oklahoma City right off of I-40. Great little town. My oldest brother has a buddy that docks at Lake Hefner in OKC, he is going to teach us a bit about it if and when he is around. I think he is in South America right now. You are right about Craig's list, great place to if anything, go check out the various boats they have for sale. Thanks for the input.
Old 15-01-2009, 16:53   #21

I have to say this is the friendliest forum I've been on. I can imagine sailing probably does wonders for stress levels as well as opening minds to various cultures and opinions. Thanks to all for the parade.
Old 15-01-2009, 20:15   #22

Location: Working on the new boat getting ready for first shake down cruise. Currently on the east coast of the US.
Boat: Peterson 44.
Welcome aboard Sailor. Couple of things we learned along the way here in Oz. Pirates abound but they are are usually on land disguised as a slipway or marina. (This is not universal but a good guide)
Never sail where the seagulls are standing. They get upset!
Boat wet - you dry. More comfortable that way.
"Duck" is not a comment on the wildlife.
We hope these help just a little.
S/V Willow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2009, 06:15   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by yacht_moondust View Post
Welcome aboard Sailor. Couple of things we learned along the way here in Oz. Pirates abound but they are are usually on land disguised as a slipway or marina. (This is not universal but a good guide)
Never sail where the seagulls are standing. They get upset!
Boat wet - you dry. More comfortable that way.
"Duck" is not a comment on the wildlife.
We hope these help just a little.

I picture myself sailing around having a little notepad in my back pocket with various warnings issued.
Old 16-01-2009, 08:22   #24

Boat: Matsu, Columbia 34
Send a message via Skype™ to hallie
i'd LOVE to be a pirate! yarrrr...!

if an oklahoman can dream of sailing, anything's possible.
welcome!
i'm totally green myself, i never set foot on a sailboat 'til about a year and a half ago, though my sweetie has sailed all his life. i'm still getting dialed in, but if you can feel the wind and read a chart, you're good to go. don't overthink it. you have to be in a Zen sort of mind-set to let the wind blow you around the ocean. if you weren't, you'd just think, what the effing hell am i doing out here?? am i nuts?!?

and then you'd have to answer yourself, yes, i kind of am.

the book that Geordie gave me to get oriented was 'Voyaging on a Small Income" by annie hill, and it made sense even to me with no grasp of the scene. give it a go, i really liked it, and so far so has everyone i've lent it to.

when people lost sight of the way to live came codes of love and honesty
~Lao Tsu

life is dangerous and always ends in death.
hallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2009, 08:29   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42
There are lots of lakes in Oklahoma, and some of them aren't even brown! Join a sailing club, or buy a small boat with an active racing class, and sail, sail, sail. You're getting there when you can tell the wind direction from which way your hair feels, and can tell when the boat is accelerating or slowing down with your eyes closed.

Never let yourself get jaded, keep the wonder alive that you can use the wind to move your boat, big or small, where you want it to go!
sandy daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2009, 09:21   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallie View Post
i'd LOVE to be a pirate! yarrrr...!

if an oklahoman can dream of sailing, anything's possible.
welcome!
i'm totally green myself, i never set foot on a sailboat 'til about a year and a half ago, though my sweetie has sailed all his life. i'm still getting dialed in, but if you can feel the wind and read a chart, you're good to go. don't overthink it. you have to be in a Zen sort of mind-set to let the wind blow you around the ocean. if you weren't, you'd just think, what the effing hell am i doing out here?? am i nuts?!?

and then you'd have to answer yourself, yes, i kind of am.

the book that Geordie gave me to get oriented was 'Voyaging on a Small Income" by annie hill, and it made sense even to me with no grasp of the scene. give it a go, i really liked it, and so far so has everyone i've lent it to.

Finally, a pirate! The reason you mentioned is one of the big reasons I want to sail. Let the world guide me towards adventure a bit. I like being nut's. The stuff in the middle get's old real fast so I think this will suit me just fine. Thanks for the advice on the book, looks like I will be reading a lot in the next few months. Thanks for the welcome and good luck to you on the rest of your travels.

P.S.
I love the quotes at the bottom. Very much agree and understand both of them. Now go plunder!
Old 16-01-2009, 09:23   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy daugherty View Post
There are lots of lakes in Oklahoma, and some of them aren't even brown! Join a sailing club, or buy a small boat with an active racing class, and sail, sail, sail. You're getting there when you can tell the wind direction from which way your hair feels, and can tell when the boat is accelerating or slowing down with your eyes closed.

Never let yourself get jaded, keep the wonder alive that you can use the wind to move your boat, big or small, where you want it to go!

That will be one of my first steps is to buy a cheap starter to see where I need to go from there. I really like the idea of getting a boat and then customizing the interior for my own quirks. To travel on my terms using a natural resource is my idea of heaven. Thanks for the input.
Old 16-01-2009, 16:27   #28

Boat: Ranger 22, currently saving for a larger cruising boat
superA, when i was getting certified I learned a good heavy weather tatctic if you are in a similar fix when the weather gets rough dont just stop, go use a bigger boat.
Old 17-01-2009, 11:08   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Otter View Post
superA, when i was getting certified I learned a good heavy weather tatctic if you are in a similar fix when the weather gets rough dont just stop, go use a bigger boat.

So bigger boats handle bad weather better? I kind of thought that the smaller ones might have an advantage because of the ability to quickly maneuver position into big waves. Any thoughts on this?
Old 18-01-2009, 21:11   #30

Boat: Ranger 22, currently saving for a larger cruising boat
superA a boat can capsize when hit by a wave that is bigger than the length of the boat or winds higher speed than the boat is long, a larger boat needs more wind to move it anyhow therefore fixing the problem of the small boat capsizing.