Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-11-2013, 20:43   #1

Anxious College Kid

Hello all,

My grandfather owned a few 28-40 foot Carvers and was a harbor master. Growing up around the boats and taking the inflatable dinghy out has stuck with me and the idea of owning a boat has never strayed far.

Now I'm a junior in college, studying nursing, and I'm looking into what it takes to live aboard a boat. I've found a few cheap sailboats and a couple cheap cruisers in the 25-35 foot range that I could live on, and I'm learning about where I could get a season slip, anchor, and moor at. (I'm from Michigan)

This is something I want to make a reality soon enough that I can invite my grandparents to come visit me on the boat while they are still able...they're getting into their upper 70's.

I'm excited to dive into the language, learn the culture, and gain wisdom from the experience of you all.

Any advice is appreciated for a 20 year old dreamer, not afraid of taking risks, open to adventure, and looking to add to the legacy of a vessel.

Thanks!
jblackwell93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2013, 03:58   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Anxious College Kid

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, jblackwell93.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2013, 04:03   #3

Boat: Lagoon 420

Welcome to CF jb93. I'm not familiar with Michigan so can't help you there, if you shop around for a boat and marinas, however, you should find what you need.

Here's a blog I enjoy that you might too. He's young and cruising the world and I think matches your self assessment, "a 20 year old dreamer, not afraid of taking risks, open to adventure, and looking to add to the legacy of a vessel".

Sail Panache | Strutting across the Pacific Ocean

There are lots of other blogs out there and I find many to be entertaining and informative.

Best of Luck to you!
Wherever we want to go, we go. That's what a ship is you know - it's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs. But what a ship is...really is, is freedom. ~Johnny Depp as Capt. Jack Sparrow
krafthaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2013, 05:19   #4
Neo

Boat: Pearson 31

Welcome aboard, Blackwell. I like the plan, and it sounds like you have started doing the proper research. Your granddad could be one of your better resources.
Happy boating.
Old 24-11-2013, 07:38   #5

Boat: Tayana 37

Are you planning on living aboard year round in Michigan? If so, I would strongly advise the purchase of a bubbler to keep ice away from your hull in the winter months. Also, make sure you insulate your cabin! You will lose a TON of heat if you don't. You've got basically three options for heat: Electric space heaters, diesel or propane fired bulkhead mounted heater, or reverse cycle marine a/c. I'd go with the first two options first. They're cheaper and the water in Michigan will get cold to a point that the reverse cycle a/c isn't nearly as efficient. If it even works at all. Good luck finding your boat and welcome to the forum!
Kevin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2013, 11:03   #6

I am retired nurse living on a boat. One of our friends has been taking travel nurse assignments on the east coast. Your living income covers your marina fees. It is a good life. A nurse can live anywhere.
btyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2013, 11:31   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo View Post
Welcome aboard, Blackwell. I like the plan, and it sounds like you have started doing the proper research. Your granddad could be one of your better resources. Happy boating.
Yes, if your really wanting to do this at least some to get them aboard, he might really take to this, give him something to do and I'd bet he would really love to share his knowledge, probably has forgotten more than most know too
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 13:37   #8

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Good to have you here.