Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2014, 15:30   #1

Another one from Ontario (Canada)

Hello from Toronto (and Sudbury, Blind River, and all points in between!).

My husband and I are currently stuck on land but have been making the move to living on the water in a painfully slow progression to it.

I'm originally from Blind River, Ontario and he's from North Bay. We met in Hell, I mean the middle... I mean Sudbury, Ontario (no offense to anyone from Sudbury but it just wasn't what either of us were looking for)... which was okay to live in but for me, who is used to seeing massive 1000-ft ocean cargo ships everyday and for him, who is used to seeing lots of boats and the 'beach' town life of North Bay -- Sudbury was a sudden 'wow, we're inland' shock to the system.

We're now in Toronto which at least is close to the water. Unfortunately where we live isn't waterfront -- too expensive... wow! -- but we now have the option of going to a waterfront that has vessels I'm used to seeing as well as heading to Toronto Island and seeing another view I'm used to -- horizon and water.

Both Andrew and I are practically transient as it is and are probably making the jump to living on a boat as soon as we figure out how big, what kind and where it will be moored 75% of the time as well as the various logistics of how I am going to get to work during those times... and how winter will play out. This winter was enough to make us almost think twice about it but we're committed to it.

We're one of those few that have been 'transient' so long that living in a normal, land, living situation isn't a good fit.

Anyway - enough on my whining about being stuck on land.

A little about us:

Me: You already know I'm from Blind River, Ontario. Well, to be technical, I'm from Algoma Mills which is just slightly to the east of Blind River. Close enough. I work full time as an Office Admin for a Construction Contracting Company and I also write for a living. The writing can be a bit sporadic which is why I haven't quit my dayjob. All right, all right - I haven't quit because I like who I work with and who I work for. I have a really cool boss that lets me get away with murder so long as my work is done and said murder isn't noticeable (too much) and this same really cool boss is also a working friend outside of work now... so there really isn't a big incentive to pack up and quit on him.

Andrew: From North Bay, Ontario, which is smack dab in the middle of two good size inland lakes (Nipissing and Trout). This gives the small city a decidedly beach town feel despite being inland. In the summer you can almost imagine you're in Florida... almost... until the shad flies chase you to the other lake which is definitely more like the typical Northern Ontario freshwater lake. He's a mature student taking anthropology and history. When he's not busy with class he's busy being self-employed as an office cleaner.

Our plan is to work while saving up what would normally be used as a downpayment for a house or condo but spend on the boat and not have a loan payment... or at least minimize the payment by having a 50% downpayment and finance the other 50% and use the rest for maintenance costs.

I'll admit I'm more used to powered boats than sail as that's what I was raised on and around in our family but considering the marina in Blind River I was also around sail boats quite a bit too.

I guess you could say I'm finally making the leap to owning my own vs. always helping with a friend's, uncle's, Dad's, Grampa's, er... you get the point. There are and were a lot of boats in our family from as small as a bass boat to as large as a 40' power cruiser, as well as numerous windsurfing boards (my favourite hobby growing up, actually) and daysailers on Lake Huron and Lauzon.
komiiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2014, 15:56   #2

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Another one from Ontario (Canada)

Hello komiiro, and welcome to CF. More Ontarians ... we're really coming out of the woodwork, or is it b/c we're starting to see hints of Spring . I know your home area fairly well. I used to cruise the North Channel out of a tiny yacht club near Spragge.

Welcome. Hope you find your floating home soon.
Old 16-03-2014, 08:27   #3

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

At least at Toronto, you have dozens if not hundreds of "motivated sellers" and a wide range of boat clubs out of which you can sail if it's not a ramp and trailer affair.

I sail out of NYC and Marina Quay West. I may have my 33 footer for sale later this year, and may myself be "motivated"!
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 14:50   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Good to have you here.
Old 12-04-2014, 15:16   #5

Boat: Stevens 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by komiiro View Post
Hello from Toronto (and Sudbury, Blind River, and all points in between!).

My husband and I are currently stuck on land but have been making the move to living on the water in a painfully slow progression to it.

I'm originally from Blind River, Ontario and he's from North Bay. We met in Hell, I mean the middle... I mean Sudbury, Ontario (no offense to anyone from Sudbury but it just wasn't what either of us were looking for)... which was okay to live in but for me, who is used to seeing massive 1000-ft ocean cargo ships everyday and for him, who is used to seeing lots of boats and the 'beach' town life of North Bay -- Sudbury was a sudden 'wow, we're inland' shock to the system.

We're now in Toronto which at least is close to the water. Unfortunately where we live isn't waterfront -- too expensive... wow! -- but we now have the option of going to a waterfront that has vessels I'm used to seeing as well as heading to Toronto Island and seeing another view I'm used to -- horizon and water.

Both Andrew and I are practically transient as it is and are probably making the jump to living on a boat as soon as we figure out how big, what kind and where it will be moored 75% of the time as well as the various logistics of how I am going to get to work during those times... and how winter will play out. This winter was enough to make us almost think twice about it but we're committed to it.

We're one of those few that have been 'transient' so long that living in a normal, land, living situation isn't a good fit.

Anyway - enough on my whining about being stuck on land.

A little about us:

Me: You already know I'm from Blind River, Ontario. Well, to be technical, I'm from Algoma Mills which is just slightly to the east of Blind River. Close enough. I work full time as an Office Admin for a Construction Contracting Company and I also write for a living. The writing can be a bit sporadic which is why I haven't quit my dayjob. All right, all right - I haven't quit because I like who I work with and who I work for. I have a really cool boss that lets me get away with murder so long as my work is done and said murder isn't noticeable (too much) and this same really cool boss is also a working friend outside of work now... so there really isn't a big incentive to pack up and quit on him.

Andrew: From North Bay, Ontario, which is smack dab in the middle of two good size inland lakes (Nipissing and Trout). This gives the small city a decidedly beach town feel despite being inland. In the summer you can almost imagine you're in Florida... almost... until the shad flies chase you to the other lake which is definitely more like the typical Northern Ontario freshwater lake. He's a mature student taking anthropology and history. When he's not busy with class he's busy being self-employed as an office cleaner.

Our plan is to work while saving up what would normally be used as a downpayment for a house or condo but spend on the boat and not have a loan payment... or at least minimize the payment by having a 50% downpayment and finance the other 50% and use the rest for maintenance costs.

I'll admit I'm more used to powered boats than sail as that's what I was raised on and around in our family but considering the marina in Blind River I was also around sail boats quite a bit too.

I guess you could say I'm finally making the leap to owning my own vs. always helping with a friend's, uncle's, Dad's, Grampa's, er... you get the point. There are and were a lot of boats in our family from as small as a bass boat to as large as a 40' power cruiser, as well as numerous windsurfing boards (my favourite hobby growing up, actually) and daysailers on Lake Huron and Lauzon.
Welcome to CF fellow Blind Riverite/Algoma Million<grin> I too lived in both, and Elliot Lake as well. Living on Lake Lauzon is where I was introduced to sailing with a 19' homemade drop board sloop.

Best wishes to both of you in attaining your goals..don't give up, they are attainable.

Are you heading home for community days? We'll be there, sailing our Bayfield 29C back up to the North Channel for the summer....can't wait for the beer garden<grin>, get all our visiting completed in 4 hrs..lol, fishing, blueberry picking, gunkholing in shallow hidey holes....the mosquitos and black flies.....the fresh air, clean water, beautiful sunsets and clear, starry nights of the north!

gunk
gunkylump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 16:14   #6
DRS

Boat: Lagoon 380

Greetings from the left coast. Welcome Aboard.
Sorry did I hear someone whinning about real estate prices
Old 12-04-2014, 16:32   #7

I guess you didn't join the Sudbury Yacht Club on Lake Ramsay. An excellent lake for small sailboats, and where I got my start many years ago.
Rick R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 17:52   #8

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 473

Welcome. I don't really view North Bay as a beach town though. Don't they get like 10 feet of snow a year? You will enjoy Lake Ontario with access to the other lakes for putting around.
Old 12-04-2014, 19:08   #9

Boat: Valiant 40-169

I iived in TO for 5 years and was a member of the Executive Sailing Club based at Harbourfront. A lot of fun and some deals on charters. Good way to gain experience. Still miss TO even though the sailing is so much better on the West coast.
gordwedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 19:26   #10

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only

Welcome aboard.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:11   #11

I didn't get really get involved in the Sudbury club, unfortunately. At that point my husband and were struggling on temping jobs and very little money to have that kind of a hobby. We eyed it jealously though, from the Science North Docks.

In the summer North Bay gives off a beachy feel.

Unfortunately I work in the construction industry which means Blind River Community Days are right when work ramps itself up and vacation time is limited.
Old 03-06-2014, 08:13   #12

Let me know in a pm if you're still interested because we're still hunting. It's getting my husband to think smaller and in needs only vs. what he wants. The boat he thinks he needs is way out of budget and also way too big for just two people.

Tags
Canada, ontario