Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2019, 17:04   #1

Cool Another aspiring coastal cruiser.

Greetings! Just joined the forum.

My wife and I spend a lot time on the water in the warmer months (swimming, kayaking, paddle boarding) in nearby lakes & rivers or if we have time - the bay in NJ. Getting an itch to get into cruising, specifically in the ocean. Problem is that we currently live in Reading, PA (west of Philadelphia) - and this is not a thing here. I will have no issues moving as I have an office in Orlando. There is a lot of work there for us and I have been there a lot. We talked things through and agreed to do the move next year. Not for sailing of course (that would be foolish at this point!), but just for the warmer/hotter weather. We are sick of the winters here! I think I may also have an early midlife crisis going on.

Taking ASA101 in May and ASA103 in July in Philadelphia off the Delaware River. Trying to squeeze time in to crew on weekends, or take my wife out by splitting a charter with another couple. Please private message me if you are in the area and may be interested.

Then - driving to Florida by end of year and buying a pocket cruiser that I will leave on a slip in Titusville or Harbortown Marina OR a marina on Tampa Bay. I was thinking of airBNBing some nights (near work in Orlando) and spend some nights on the boat to get a feel. Next - Flying the wife down on weekends to cruise with me, and get a better feel for the area before we make the move.

That is the plan. Let's see how things pan out, but I'm optimistic right now. After doing a lot of reading on this forum and several books on sailing, living aboard a boat, cruising, and how-to books - I have a feeling in my gut that I may be taking on a very expensive hobby that I will enjoy.

Please reach out if you live in the nearby area and need crew. Want to put theory to the test and get some practice and get a feel for different boats.

After doing a lot of research on different boats (without any on-deck experience) I have been eyeing a Oday 25, or Catalina 25 or 27 as a starter boat. Most experience to date has been on HobieCats, with a few times on board sailboats ~25ft in Caribbean or local (once on Lake Nockamixon).
Enjoy the heel when sailing close hauled on a mono-hull, and want a stable boat so I don't make a very expensive mistake. Open to everyone's thoughts, but will have a better feel by the end of the year either way.
Jmarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 22:44   #2

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Another aspiring coastal cruiser.

Welcome aboard jmarch! Good luck in your plans! Of the boats you mentioned I'd probably go with the Catalina 27. They sail well, easy to sail, easy to handle, good resale value and they are plenty roomy when you get to where you want to do overnighters along the coast.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 03:48   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Another aspiring coastal cruiser.

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Jmarch.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser