Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2016, 20:14   #1

anchoring Information South Florida

I am planning a trip from Ft. Myers to Marathon. I would like to get as close to marathon as possible, so I can start across Florida Bay in the morning, before the winds blow up. can anyone help with anchoring information about Lake Ingraham, or other places on Cape Sable that would be a good place to anchor, before crossing Florida Bay?? Thanks Ted
tedboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 21:04   #2

Boat: Grand Banks 49
Re: anchoring Information South Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedboat View Post
I am planning a trip from Ft. Myers to Marathon. I would like to get as close to marathon as possible, so I can start across Florida Bay in the morning, before the winds blow up. can anyone help with anchoring information about Lake Ingraham, or other places on Cape Sable that would be a good place to anchor, before crossing Florida Bay?? Thanks Ted
===

We do that run in two days with our 8 kt trawler. First day we anchor at Big Marco Pass across the channel from the Snook Inn. Second day we go direct to Marathon, Key West or the Channel 5 Bridge. They're all about the same distance plus or minus. If you want to make it a 3 day trip, your best bet is to anchor in the Little Shark River on the second day. The protection is very good, scenery is unique, and the mosquitoes are not too bad in the winter time. This year has been warmer than average however. Anchoring off the beach at East Cape Sable is another possibility if the wind is out of the east and conditions are settled.
wayne.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 03:53   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Ted.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 05:06   #4

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'

Welcome aboard! Marco Island anchorages: Anchorage map of the Waterway Guide centered on 25.960051118928128, -81.72403335571289 | Waterway Explorer anchorage mapLittle Shark River: Anchorage map of the Waterway Guide centered on 25.301820690255198, -81.14227294921875 | Waterway Explorer anchorage map
Happy cruising!
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 05:57   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Lake Ingram is not someplace to anchor anything larger than a kayak. Not sure about the south approach as the last time I was there was in a kayak. Better bet is Shark, or if conditions are calm off Carl Ross.

If you can anchor off Carl Ross do so well before sundown. There used to be a large number of interesting birds (aviary) that nested on Carl Ross and the island to the south. Mind the depth and wind as First National Bank is dry under certain conditions.

Sent from my iPhone- please forgive autocorrect errors.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 08:44   #6

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

Ted, With no details on your boat like draft, speed you travel, etc. your question is difficult to answer. Most boats anchor in the Little Shark River overnight and then Marathon is an easy day run, depending again on your speed. There are several excellent anchorages between Ft. Myers and Cape Sable. If the weather is settled, and that's important, just pull in to shore anywhere north of Cape Sable and drop your hook however close your draft will allow. Have up to date charts for the area. Once again, details about when you plan to go have been left out and that is important. During certain times of the year, weather windows can be very short. You might try again and add all those details. The answers you get might be more helpful. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 18:09   #7

I am planning this trip for this month, January. My boat is 24 foot, I draw about 16", and can cruise @ 15 MPH if the water is calm enough. I would like to re-fuel @ Flamingo, before heading out; preferable early in the AM to catch calmer seas.
tedboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 19:08   #8

Boat: Grand Banks 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedboat View Post
I am planning this trip for this month, January. My boat is 24 foot, I draw about 16", and can cruise @ 15 MPH if the water is calm enough. I would like to re-fuel @ Flamingo, before heading out; preferable early in the AM to catch calmer seas.
===

With your boat it should be possible to run north on the wilderness water way from Flamingo to Little Shark River, totally avoiding any seas in the Gulf. It's a very nice run.
wayne.b is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchoring, florida