Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-05-2010, 16:15   #1

Anchorages Around Newport Beach ?

My name is Jim Balderas and I am moving down in a few weeks to the general area. I currently live on the hook in PortTownsend, Washington. I am trying to sell my 30' Catalina here and buy a fixer there to live aboard.
I am hoping to find free to cheap anchorings around Newport Beach, San Clemente even as far South as San Diego. I prefer Newport Beach as I have friends there. I am trying to live as impact free as I can while establishing some new business in the area. Can anyone help me out here?
Jim Balderas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2010, 18:37   #2

Boat: Islander 36
Hi Jim,

I lived aboard in So Cal for years in a marina. I can tell you that what you're asking is going to be a tough one. I hope somebody has the answer that warms your heart. I can't imagine a tougher spot for that than Newport Beach. Good luck
Old 20-06-2010, 20:39   #3

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and welcome aboard!
Newport Beach always struck me as the high end of sailing marina areas. Good luck in your search for an inexpensive place to moor or anchor.
kind regards,
Old 21-06-2010, 07:58   #4

Send a message via AIM to Sandletanman
I am in Newport Beach. Actually, Im trying to find a way that I could tag along with someone as a deckhand...looking to go anywhere. How would I go about doing so?
Sandletanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2010, 08:52   #5

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Jim, Newport Beach has a designated anchorage area with a limited time. Live-aboard slips or moorings are going to be near impossible or extremely expensive. Nothing further south until San Diego and even there you are going to have a tough time. the anchorages where living aboard is tolerated are all regulated and they are in less than ideal areas. Most of the marinas have long waiting lists and do not allow live-aboards. You MIGHT be able to get into Chula Vista. Nothing is inexpensive. There are a few marinas in Long Beach that take live-aboards, but I don't remember their names.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2010, 12:57   #6

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34
I live in Newport Beach and the designated anchorage is nice but there is a time limit, 72 hours I think. Some liveaboards anchor there for a few days and if the weather is decent go outside and anchor south of the jettys. And then they go back inside and start the clock over again. But the outside anchorage is a somewhat rolly.

You could move back and forth between Newport and Dana Point which has a small but nice anchorage inside the breakwater to the west. I am sure that Dana Point has a similar limit.

San Diego has a mooring field just south of Harbor Island, but I am sure that it is full and the waiting list is long.

So, as previous posters have said, it won't be easy. FWIW I have rarely seen homeless people in Newport Beach. The cops won't tolerate them!! So be forewarned.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2010, 13:11   #7

Boat: CT54
The anchorage in Newport Beach is good for 5 days in a 30 day period. The harbor police will rent a mooring ball to you for $5.00 a night and you can do that for up to 15 days a month from May 1 - October 31. So you stay for 15 days then leave for 15 and can return for another 15 after that.
From November 1 - April 30 you can rent a mooring ball for $5.00 a night for up to 60 days consecutively but will not be able to come back for a mooring until May 1 once you use up your 60 days. This information is up to date as of Fall of 2009 so double check everything.
Hope this helps.
jackiepitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2010, 13:30   #8

Boat: Islander Freeport 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterwayguy View Post
Jim, Newport Beach has a designated anchorage area with a limited time. Live-aboard slips or moorings are going to be near impossible or extremely expensive. Nothing further south until San Diego and even there you are going to have a tough time. the anchorages where living aboard is tolerated are all regulated and they are in less than ideal areas. Most of the marinas have long waiting lists and do not allow live-aboards. You MIGHT be able to get into Chula Vista. Nothing is inexpensive. There are a few marinas in Long Beach that take live-aboards, but I don't remember their names.
I keep our boat in San Diego, and actually there are many empty slips in the marinas. Even though the slips are empty, doesn't mean anyone is going to get a break on the rent. There are also moorings and anchorages, but you can't stay to long at any of the anchorages. Maybe Newport has vacancies like San Diego? There is one marina between Newport and San Diego, and that's Dana Point...but I don't know the status of anything there. The cheapest marinas in San Diego are in Chula Vista (2 marinas), with the newest one being Pier 32.
JiffyLube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2010, 14:22   #9

There's a 30 day "cruiser's anchorage" in San Diego.

San Diego - TheKeel

Quote:
The best anchorage for cruising vessels is the A9 "Cruisers Anchorage". Located at approximately 32N 43' 30" / 117W 11' 10", the anchorage is available for mariners from outside of San Diego County. Permits are available for 30 days at a time, up to a maximum of 90 days in any one year period from the San Diego Harbor Police. This anchorage can be a bit loud because of its proximity to the Coast Guard Station, and the airport.
You may be able to hit these guys up too. They own the mooring balls in town and can let you know about any short term sub-renting opportunities. They also designate (or are supposed to designate) 10% of their balls as "transient" for six months or less.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2010, 14:30   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiffyLube View Post
I keep our boat in San Diego, and actually there are many empty slips in the marinas. Even though the slips are empty, doesn't mean anyone is going to get a break on the rent. There are also moorings and anchorages, but you can't stay to long at any of the anchorages. Maybe Newport has vacancies like San Diego? There is one marina between Newport and San Diego, and that's Dana Point...but I don't know the status of anything there. The cheapest marinas in San Diego are in Chula Vista (2 marinas), with the newest one being Pier 32.
There's also Oceanside, which is where I think you live
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2010, 22:02   #11

Boat: Islander Freeport 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
There's also Oceanside, which is where I think you live
How could I forget Oceanside!

I live in Oceanside, but keep our boat in Shelter Island.
JiffyLube is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchorages, newport beach