Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2017, 10:26   #1

Boat: Starcraft Chieftan 22
Anchor and Winch for StarCraft 22'

I am new to boating with a cabin cruiser and I need some advice regarding anchor and winch for my StarCraft Chieftain 22 Mark IV.
Most of my boating for now ins in the smaller lakes in northern Ontario Canada, but in a few years I might graduate up to Trent Severn or Rideau Canal.
Presently, I have a Danforth #13E anchor on a 4' length of 3/16" chain and a 3/8" anchor line. This summer I had my boat anchored (on the bow) a bit off shore in about 4' of water on a sandy bottom. It seem to hold OK until we gat a bit of a storm, at witch point, my boat was pushed ashore. It was suggested I should also have a stern anchor to stop the boat from drifting side to side witch is probably why my anchor lost its grip.
First question, is the 13E Danforth sufficient as my main anchor for my boat (est. displacement is 3200 lbs.)? Second, what size of anchor should I be using for secondary anchor

My next dilemma. is the inconvenience of going to the front to drop my anchor due to the cabin. I am therefore looking of a winch. What I have found so far locally is a Minn-Kota DH-40, which is rated for a 40# anchor, but it does not list boat size. They list the .20 nylon braided rope at 800# test. I am trying to compare this to my anchor line, which is rated at 276 lbs. safe working load and 2780 lbs. tensile strength. If the 800# test means "safe working load" then I am ok, but it is tensile strength, then I am not sure if it is sufficient for my boat. Has anybody used this winch and what size of boat is it on?

I would like some input from experience boaters as to the compatibility of this winch for my boat.

Michel Paquette

Tags
anchor, arc, winch