Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2014, 14:17   #46

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Re: Aloha, Y'all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flem.S.Coyle View Post
SkiprJohn, I'll have to keep an eye out for nesting FG dinks. Thanks. And I concur about the broken anything...mighty inconvenient. I've had broken fingers, metacarpal, arm, collar-bone and snot-box (3X). Dislocated a hip and tore a hammy fly-fishing in the Big Toe River in '12, too. My solution is to rub some dirt on it and get back in the game. White likker helps too.

HappyMdR, funny you should mention NY and salvaged Tartan parts. I recently contacted a sailor seller who advertised his whole very-similar T30. If he doesn't otherwise find a taker for her, we may be able to make a deal that has me driving to NY, anyway. But, if I do that, I'm pulling a trailer and bringing back lots more than a roller furler.
Dang I miss flyfishing!
Old 28-01-2014, 18:42   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
SkiprJohn, I'll have to keep an eye out for nesting FG dinks. Thanks. And I concur about the broken anything...mighty inconvenient. I've had broken fingers, metacarpal, arm, collar-bone and snot-box (3X). Dislocated a hip and tore a hammy fly-fishing in the Big Toe River in '12, too. My solution is to rub some dirt on it and get back in the game. White likker helps too.

HappyMdR, funny you should mention NY and salvaged Tartan parts. I recently contacted a sailor seller who advertised his whole very-similar T30. If he doesn't otherwise find a taker for her, we may be able to make a deal that has me driving to NY, anyway. But, if I do that, I'm pulling a trailer and bringing back lots more than a roller furler.
Good man... You can never have too many land based spares... You just need to be creative about concealing them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
I truly never would have believed how inconvenient it is to have a broken foot. It gets in the way of everything. Can't go aboard the boat or any of the club boats, can't get it wet (according to the Doc). It's been about 3 weeks but feels like I've been laid up for months.

My recommendation is that you do not under any circumstances break your foot, or leg, or any other bone. Well, maybe a finger or toe is ok. White likker will make it feel better but definitely will set you back as far healing time if you do dance too much.
SkipJ ... Sounds like a nightmare.... Good news is that I hear those things do mend up pretty well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
They make nesting dinghies in fiberglass too. If its wood you'd have to keep a good coat of paint on it always. Your foredeck isn't wide enough for a Livingston.

Roller furling is a great luxury to have and keeps you from having to go up on the foredeck when you really don't want to or is unsafe to. That is a modern system that has really been a plus after it had all the bugs worked out of it. Early ones had a few problems so get a more recent edition if you're going to purchase one.
+1+ on Furling.... life simplified...

OBTW... Flem.. Have a Walker Bay I bought from Tamicatana... Love the way it rows... Have not put/used it for any boat tender yet though...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2014, 02:01   #48

Boat: Bristol Chanel Cutter 28'

Sorry about the delayed response Flemm, different time zones. Yep lubricate those little hanks, a bit of silicon spray makes a big difference, just open and close them a few times to get the lube into the shaft. No probs re lashing to the lifelines as long as they are in good order. I have seen a few stanchions that were not tightened at the grub screw get launched, but if they are sturdy should be fine. All the posts re Furlers are spot on. the modern ones are very good. There is one problem though which is about lazy sailors and not furlers. Some people tend to put a big genoa up front on a furler and leave it there as there as the only head sail. This is all well and good if you live in a mysterious part of the world where the wind only ever blows 10 knots, or maybe a lake. Sadly I am yet to find that part of the world. When it gets blowy people roll the sail up a few times to de-power the jib and are left with a luff as thick as a buffalo's hind leg. Thick luffs are not great if you want to actually point your poor little Tartan to windward. If you go the furler route, which I agree is a very good one, particularly for shorthanded sailing make sure you pick a few jibs for the furler and yes on those very windy days this means going forward dropping the number one and going to a number 3 or 4. You will be surprised how beautifully your Tartan sails with the right sail for the right wind. I hope I don't offend those who think there is one sail for all wind, and if that's how they chose to sail so be it, but in my view there is not, and Davey jones will know of your sins, probably rewarding you with a torn or bagged out number one. Anyway good luck with the foot and keep on breaking things. If your not life is probably to boring.

Cocosshane
cocosshane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2014, 03:32   #49

Boat: Tartan 30

Cocosshane, I think it's SkiprJohn with the busted wheel. But, thanks anyways.

I didn't think you could have multi-size sails for your furler. And I thought that was the sacrifice you had to make for going that route. Are you sure about that?

It occurred to me that perhaps you could have multiple forestays, with a dedicated furler on one, and hankable variety on the other.
Flem.S.Coyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2014, 03:58   #50

Boat: Bristol Chanel Cutter 28'

You sure can Flemm. I use North sails and as long as they know the foil (luff) length they can cut you a 1, 3, 4 whatever. Some Cutters have a furling jib and a hanked on staysail. Some modern cruisers have two furling jibs the foremost being the large jib and the inner sail which is about a meter inboard is a smaller jib. Both on furlers we call the slutters in Australia, not sure what they are called in the States. They can be convenient but you need to furl the larger jib between jibes or tacks. Norths or most other sail makers would have your sail plan on record and could give you good advice. Sometimes people op for a single furler with a smaller jib just so they can cope with a higher wind range. Its smaller than a number 1 but not quite a number 3. If they sail in the same area they may get to no there wind range and they get a compromise sail made rather than forking lots of dollars on sails. Its a catch 22 really. If you stuck to the hanks you could probably buy a number 1 and a 3 for the price of a 1 and a furler. So it really comes down to where you sail, how many crew you have and how well you want your boat to perform. In racing I mostly used foils. Its like the foil from a furler without the furler. It goes pretty much the full length of the luff and we run Number 1's, three's fours and even storm jibs up there. There is some great books on sails, sail trim, sail material. Its just an observation but often these days some sailors seem to be obsessed with electronics (which of course can be very important but cost gazillions) but spend little time reading, learning, and trying out different sails. The furlers are great but your old hanks are ok too. Regards Shane
cocosshane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2014, 15:33   #51

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

You can have many sails for your furler. Lazy folks who don't care about making time to windward usually just keep one on there and roll it in or out depending on how they feel. Depends on the skipper and their age and flexibility/balance/weight and how many willing crew they have onboard.
Folks who care about being able to sail to windward well will change those sails depending on the wind strength.

I tried rubbing dirt on my broken foot but it didn't make me hop on the other one any faster. Maybe I'll get this stupid thing to heal up faster if I let it rest some.
Old 01-02-2014, 07:58   #52
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
It occurred to me that perhaps you could have multiple forestays, with a dedicated furler on one, and hankable variety on the other.

Sure it's done. With a close look starboard of this cruising chute you can see my forestay that can take a hanked jib and then a furled genoa.

Another note about stanchions. If lower lifelines are fit with a ring around the stanchion pipe, this can develop into a weak point with corrosion.

'not the final solution...
Old 01-02-2014, 08:13   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
...With a close look starboard of this cruising chute you can see my forestay that can take a hanked jib and then a furled genoa.
I really like the idea of adding a furler, but also would like to not have to discard what I have.

CaptForce, how much surgery and headache was it to create the double system? If you have a photo record of the step-by-step, I'd love to see it.

Anything you'd have done differently?

Thanks
Old 01-02-2014, 08:46   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
......... how much surgery and headache was it to create the double system? If you have a photo record of the step-by-step, I'd love to see it.

Anything you'd have done differently?

Thanks
Oh, don't mistake my rig for anything fancy! It's not a Solent rig or any manner of dual headstays. My roller furling system is simply the old Schaffer furling system that is pulled up on a wire halyard. It suits me well as a cruiser and not a close hauled performer. My system is considered antiquated by most, but I can drop my wire-rope furler in a sudden blow or to reduce windage aloft in a storm and hank on a storm jib or simply hank on a working jib while the furled genoa is left up.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:07   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
Oh, don't mistake my rig for anything fancy! It's not a Solent rig or any manner of dual headstays. My roller furling system is simply the old Schaffer furling system that is pulled up on a wire halyard. It suits me well as a cruiser and not a close hauled performer. My system is considered antiquated by most, but I can drop my wire-rope furler in a sudden blow or to reduce windage aloft in a storm and hank on a storm jib or simply hank on a working jib while the furled genoa is left up.
Capn' and Flem... This is exactly the system I have on the Morgan... Very simple, very effective even with it's compromises....

Old 04-02-2014, 13:55   #56

Thanks Capt & HappyMdR,

I have finally gotten my sailing instructor to schedule the ASA 103 & 104 classes, which commence this weekend. He's also a representative/dealer for North Sails, so I plan to get him on my boat for some specific recommendations.
Old 04-02-2014, 16:03   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Thanks Capt & HappyMdR,

I have finally gotten my sailing instructor to schedule the ASA 103 & 104 classes, which commence this weekend. He's also a representative/dealer for North Sails, so I plan to get him on my boat for some specific recommendations.
Suhweet!!!!

Yer gunna love the classes... And don't just stick with the material either... A proper instructor is a wealth of knowledge beyond what is covered...

Probably wouldn't hurt to hand him a mason jar while he is handing you the exam...

Also great job on the North dude... just like fitting golf clubs... 90% of the people using them never have an expert make a recommendation...

Old 05-02-2014, 05:15   #58

True that, Happy...if I can get him on the boat. Has proven thus far a bit easier said than done. Getting these classes scheduled was like the pulling of teeth.

The instruction part was great. Those other things?

Meh.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:32   #59
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
True that, Happy...if I can get him on the boat. Has proven thus far a bit easier said than done. Getting these classes scheduled was like the pulling of teeth.

The instruction part was great. Those other things?

Meh.
Don't I know it.... I pulled together a 114 class for some NY friends in CA many many moons ago... A lot of excited apathy got the goal accomplished... Ugh...

Old 06-03-2014, 06:03   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
Capn' and Flem... This is exactly the system I have on the Morgan... Very simple, very effective even with it's compromises....
If you ever get the photo-posting hiccups fixed, I'd really like to see how this works. I did finally get my instructor/NorthSails dealer to look at the boat and he dismissed the notion with a "pffft".

He also said $3200 for a new furlable gib, before the cost of the furler itself...so there's that.