Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-10-2005, 18:13   #1

Boat: none yet
Talking Aloha

Hiya

My name is Gabriel,
I am currently living in St. Louis Mo, but have plans to move to Hawaii in 3-4 years, most likely on the big island, Hilo area.

I plan on getting a sail boat of some sort, but am totaly clueless as to what exactly I should be looking for, and was hoping you all would have some advice for me. (:
I am interested in the following things for my boat,

1. Big enough to island hop Hawaii safley in good weather.

2. Something that would be ok for some fishing off the back, maybe drop a small net, or do some trolling? is that even possible on a sailboat?

3. It would be nice to be able to sleep 2-3 people for a few days on island hops

4. I dont know how to sail yet, but plan on learning from a local lake sailing school, on a 20 foot boat, here in Missouri, and take some more lessons on the ocean once I get to Hawaii.
Whatever I get needs to be somewhat sailor friendly/ not too hard for a novice sailor to learn on.

I know its kind of a trade-off with size, and was just wondering where my goals would fit in
Im thinking 25-35 ft? range.
I know the smaller boat will sail rougher, and be tighter for sleeping, but the bigger boat wil be tougher to manuver, and less learner friendly

I have about 385,476 more questions to ask, but I think I'll limit myself to a few at a time.

Love the forums, lotsa neat information you dont see in books.
Thanks in advance for any advice (:

Aloha
Gabriel
Gabriel Aloha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2005, 21:36   #2
Kai Nui

Only one point. My close friend moved to the big island about a year ago. She has not gotten on the water since. Slips are non existant, and moorings like honest politicians. The sailing, as I understand it, is not that good around the islands, though I admit that is second hand info. If you are insistant about Hawaii, look for a boat that is already there, and has a transferable slip or mooring. Most importantly, get it in writing. Then realize that if the locals change their mind about you having that slip, what you have in writing means very little.
I hate to sound negative, but I have several friends with homes over there, and none are happy with the boat situation.
Old 27-10-2005, 05:06   #3

Boat: currently "on the beach"
kai nui - when we were on oahu last feb, i checked out the marina @ waikiki and there were many slips open. i did not talk to management, and i know there is alot of pending development, but it seemed there was plenty of room. the boats there were, for the most part, older and not in very good condition. any info on oahu ?
capt. lar

We have met the enemy and he is us. - Walt Kelly
capt lar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2005, 07:13   #4

Thanks for the replies,
I had heard the same thing about slips being rare, but was able to find a few, but that may/may not change in the 3-4 years it takes me to get sailing. Time will tell there.

Whats the possibility of living aboard, and just anchoring somewhere?

Quote:
The sailing, as I understand it, is not that good around the islands, though I admit that is second hand info.
Could you elaborate a bit here please.

I have been looking at cats more lateley. The Prout Snowgoose 37 ft, looks nice, and there are a few in my price range.

How would that boat do sailing the Pacific Islands,NZ, Hawaii.
and maybe cross over panama to the carribean one day.

Is it big enough to do comfortably, and safely?

How about a circumnavigation?

I also saw some Gemini, and Wildcats I liked.

Aloha
Gabriel
Old 01-11-2005, 18:36   #5

Boat: 22' Catalina "Joly Mon"
How about Ko Olina marina in Ohau...I have done some research, and they allow liveaboards if the boat is 35' of longer. This is a beautiful marina for less than $500/month for slip fees.

Check it out..
www.Koolinamarina.com
rrathus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 20:18   #6

Thanks, have you ever sailed in Hawaii?
Whats it like there?

Aloha
Gabriel
Old 01-11-2005, 22:29   #7
Kai Nui

Hawaii has a similar problem going on as Fla. The anchorages are being made off limits to cruisers by local governments and property owners. Again, I will admit that this is second hand info, but I believe it to ba accurate. Since one of my closest friends moved there, I have seriously considered moving there, and done some research. I am sure it can be done, but the situation could be a bit shaky with water being included in the land grabs.
As for a cat, I am surprised Talbot has not chimed in here yet. He seems to be the local expert on cruising cats. I am new to multihulls, and can only give opinions. For what it's worth, I think a cat would suite your needs just fine.
Old 02-11-2005, 09:00   #8

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
Oahu

Tenakoe. I was in Hawaii 1968 / 69.
We ran out of gas in the fizz boat about 1/2 mile South of Honolulu and were drifting towards Tahiti. A very large sail boat towed us in. I think it was owned by a movie director.
That is the total if my boating experience in Hawaii not counting the times we did not run out of gas.
I have more surfing stories.
Michael
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 13:13   #9

we were in oahu for a week last feb. and may go back this winter. i liked oahu, and i liked the people. very large asian population - a mix of many countries. crime is low, prices are moderate. the economy (tourism) is greatly affected by both US and japan, so it is an uncertain place to invest. weather was great, with good winds many days, but i am told the summers are different. actually, the weather is different on different sides of the same island, and vary greatly from island to island. i think our feeling about hawaii as a retirement spot is, so far, the sailing is good, but not easy to cruise since islands are a fair distance from each other (nothing like the caribe) and harbors are scarce. we thought it would be more likely to end up living in a marina and, for us, it would make more sense to buy a condo and keep a smaller boat. i don't think i would want to live at the dock full time. but thats just me.

capt. lar

Old 02-11-2005, 16:07   #10

Thanks for the replies.
Aside from the docking/mooring issues, whats the sailing conditions like there?

I know the windward side will have more chop /higher waves, and that side of the island is the more tropical/rainy.

The leeward side is smoother, and is the dryer side of the island.
It is renowned for calm waters and big game fishing.

I will most likely be on the windward side.

The thing I dont know is, how much worse is the windy side?

With all the mooring/docking issues, would a small, trailor-able daysailer in the range of18-20ft, be useable/enjoyable on the windy side?

Aloha
Gabriel
Old 02-11-2005, 16:27   #11

this is the old size of brain / size of balls issue. 30 years ago this sounded reasonable, i've had some shrinkage. when it honks - it really honks and the swell can be huge. with any small boat the answer is "sometimes" and reasonable safety depends on ability to get off the water fast and how reliable weather forecasting is. as you do your research (there are several good books on hawaii for general travel) think about what kind of boat. enclosed boats made to dump (laser) with a wetsuit may be a better choice than open (rhodes 19). its not that far to drive over, so where you live does not have to be where you sail. plenty that live on the windward, work in honolulu. more affordable.
capt. lar

Old 02-11-2005, 17:19   #12

Boat: 22' Catalina "Joly Mon"
I have been to Hawaii several times, and I belive it is the best place on earth!!! I have not sailed there, but it is a dream of mine to live aboard and sail the Islands. I was wondering if anyone has been to the Ko Olina marina or any other marina's in Hawaii?
rrathus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2005, 17:43   #13

Boat: Tayana 37 1985 cutter
Send a message via AIM to usrowboy Send a message via Yahoo to usrowboy
marinia or moorings in HI

I've been to Hawai 5 times mostly to race . I will retire to Kauai. The wait list for a mooring is 5-7yrs. The wait list for a slip is similar. Fees are $100/yr non resident. $15/yr resident.
I sail and also paddle competitive outrigger.
Move there first, learn to paddle and get on the list. Jobs are scarce. And if you do get one, you'll start from the bottom without specific skills.
Look for a boat out there. There are a lot of disillusioned sailors who sail there and quit. Same with the Caribbean.
Sailing out there is difficult because of the trades. Some very strong currents and the trades/predominant winds will make your journeys "out and back" rather than "island hopping". Remember there is a "convergence zone" between islands that makes the wind and current like a venturi. This should also be a consideration when you think of sailing in the islands.
Hope this helps.