Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2019, 18:47   #61

Re: Alcoholics Anonymous & Cruisers

An alternative method for stopping the habit might be to visit SOS and have meetings online.

http://www.soselist.org/

www.sosdallas.org

http://www.sossobriety.org/meetings
Warren Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 12:38   #62

Boat: Islander 32 MK2 #157/Pram 8 Marconi Rig

I’m “abstinent”nowadays...went to a 28 day rehab program , followed by a 60 day stay at a sober living program which had a 120 meetings in 60 days requirement...did me a lotta good as I was a “Keys Disease” type.

I’ve since quit AA as seemed like a lot of drama, I’m pretty solid in my discipline about drinking, I’m a much better human not drinking at that where I get my desire, plus I achieve now as I stay busy instead of drowning my issues to numb them.

AA just doesn’t seem helpful for me, too much drama...Sailing my boat, riding my Harley even working on my boat much more fun than listening to drunkard stories or junkie pride IMO.

People who know the old me still think I’ll “relapse” but I don’t see it, I still go to bars to meet & dance with women, go to parties to socialize, people buy me shots I don’t drink, offer me puffs and I just practice Nancy Reagan saying “Just Say No” and one thing comes clear, I attract women and people now whom don’t wanna be controlled by substances or sauce.

To each there own, this was just my sharing my experience and why I don’t collect chips anymore even though I proudly keep my chips and rehab medallion in the mouth of my conch shell in my salon which is my “first things first” reminder along with a nice watch I bought myself after graduating sober living house ordeal (too many phony drama queens there too)
Capt JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 13:52   #63

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB

Capt JJ-
Glad it is working for you. Many of us find it is deadly hard going solo for the long term.
sanibel sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 17:02   #64

Boat: Looking at Lagoon 40

A few observations from an AA member for 10 years.

a. An active alcoholic and his/her boat rarely if ever leaves port.

b. An active alcoholic who does leave port has a very high probability of never returning to port.

c. Never leave port with an active alcoholic on board. You may die trying to save the alcoholic or they may kill you by "accident".

The good news is that a recovered/recovering alcoholic with a minimum of 1 year sobriety and preferably >5 years sobriety might be the best captain/crew member you could find.

If you are in Miami and need an AA meeting let me know.
longmt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 02:37   #65
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, longmt.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 07:44   #66

Boat: Lagoon 440

Hello and thanks for all the comments here. Been a member of AA for almost 10 years and I must say that Capt JJ has a point. AA does have too much drauma. Being a retired Capt J myself from the fire service and EMS I will admit that I couldn't have gotten to where I am today without the rooms of AA and more importantly it's fellowship. When I entered on the coattails of friends of Bill W I was told to be open and willing and if there is something or someone that doesn't jive with me then dont worry about it. "Put it on the shelf and focus on what you relate with". This "dis-ease" is an affliction of isolation and it's too easy to see what doesnt work than what does. I still go for me but it's more a focus on the alcoholic that is still suffering and to be a good steward of the program that has helped millions. I owe my life and marriage to AA.
No doubt is there TOO much drauma! SO is life though isn't it? I keep my side of the street clean and try not to judge someone else's perception of reality nor do I try to convince them of mine. The Big Book has such a needed design for living that can help anyone struggling with getting along in society. Truly prophetic and prescriptive.
If it wasn't for the rum, I may not have continued sailing as well so it is a double edged sword for me. Now I am embarking on a life of sober sailing and SCUBA diving on our L440 that is newly refitted lying on the hard anxiously awaiting her debut on her new bottom and shiny working parts of plenty in SXM.
Won't you join me???
www.sailingscubaadventures.com
Capt J soon to be again
(working on my master...TBA)
sailmontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 09:58   #67
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailmontana View Post
Hello and thanks for all the comments here. Been a member of AA for almost 10 years and I must say that Capt JJ has a point. AA does have too much drauma. Being a retired Capt J myself from the fire service and EMS I will admit that I couldn't have gotten to where I am today without the rooms of AA and more importantly it's fellowship. When I entered on the coattails of friends of Bill W I was told to be open and willing and if there is something or someone that doesn't jive with me then dont worry about it. "Put it on the shelf and focus on what you relate with". This "dis-ease" is an affliction of isolation and it's too easy to see what doesnt work than what does. I still go for me but it's more a focus on the alcoholic that is still suffering and to be a good steward of the program that has helped millions. I owe my life and marriage to AA.
No doubt is there TOO much drauma! SO is life though isn't it? I keep my side of the street clean and try not to judge someone else's perception of reality nor do I try to convince them of mine. The Big Book has such a needed design for living that can help anyone struggling with getting along in society. Truly prophetic and prescriptive.
If it wasn't for the rum, I may not have continued sailing as well so it is a double edged sword for me. Now I am embarking on a life of sober sailing and SCUBA diving on our L440 that is newly refitted lying on the hard anxiously awaiting her debut on her new bottom and shiny working parts of plenty in SXM.
Won't you join me???
www.sailingscubaadventures.com
Capt J soon to be again
(working on my master...TBA)
Well said, sailmontana.

What a lovely boat, and you make a lovely couple!
Fair winds!
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alcoholics anonymous