Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2019, 13:36   #46
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Re: Alcoholics Anonymous & Cruisers

Quote:
. This is usually hard for "normies" to comprehend, and that's totally ok.

Hope this helps.
Thx, guess I am closer to understand.
I guess I “can just put it down”
Quit 6 weeks starting 1-1-18 and now doing the same 1-1-19: To lose weight and get cholesterol a bit lower.
Also get stuff done on the boat and around the house if I don’t have a hangover every day.
Sometimes I have thought about quitting altogether just to get in better health, 1/2 case of beer every day makes you lazy..
I am a heavy drinker, not sure where the bridge is to qualify as an alcoholic, not sure I want to know..
Old 01-01-2019, 13:45   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man View Post
I am curious, and it with all respect: what goes on at the AA meetings? If somebody have been sober for a few years, is there still a craving?

As for quitting smoking, it is like having the flu for 5-6 days, feels uncomfortable, I chewed asprin, it seemed to help, I guess.
Got over nicotine in a week, then almost forgot about it after a couple of weeks.

Some can, I stopped smoking 35 years ago? I quit probably 6 or 8 times before it finally took. For years I would want a cigarette, would crave the things after Supper.
Maybe 20 years before it got to where I didn’t think every now and again I’d like one?
Some people just have addictive personalities I guess, Smoking killed my Mother, my Brother drank himself to death, so I know I have a problem, so I watch it.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 13:49   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Alcoholics Anonymous & Cruisers

Quote:
I am a heavy drinker, not sure where the bridge is to qualify as an alcoholic, not sure I want to know..

It sounds as if you may be what is called a functioning alcoholic, meaning as I understand it, you can still function, your not yet laying in a ditch beside of the road, and if you have enough money, you never will.
That was my Brother, for decades he drank like a fish, never gained weight though, drank Jack Daniels and Coke. Slowly it got worse and worse and the last year or so he almost never made it to work.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 14:02   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
It sounds as if you may be what is called a functioning alcoholic, meaning as I understand it, you can still function, your not yet laying in a ditch beside of the road, and if you have enough money, you never will.
That was my Brother, for decades he drank like a fish, never gained weight though, drank Jack Daniels and Coke. Slowly it got worse and worse and the last year or so he almost never made it to work.
Ouch, don’t think drinking is that important to me, don’t do it everyday either, but of course denial is the first sign..
Old 01-01-2019, 14:08   #50

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Thx, guess I am closer to understand.
I guess I “can just put it down”
Quit 6 weeks starting 1-1-18 and now doing the same 1-1-19: To lose weight and get cholesterol a bit lower.
Also get stuff done on the boat and around the house if I don’t have a hangover every day.
Sometimes I have thought about quitting altogether just to get in better health, 1/2 case of beer every day makes you lazy..
I am a heavy drinker, not sure where the bridge is to qualify as an alcoholic, not sure I want to know..[emoji3]
If you had crossed that bridge you would know it...or you would soon. When you can no longer "just put it down", then you've got a problem...though some alcoholics think they still can...eventually they discover they cannot...unfortunately for some thats not until after they have "hit rock bottom" as they say in AA.

My father was an alcoholic who became very active in AA so I grew up with exposure to alcoholism & AA.

Fortunately Ive never shown any tendency to addict to alcohol. I normally have a drink or two everyday, but can skip it at anytime with no consequence. I quit for 30 days last year to help drop some weight...now after much travelling, the holidays, and the associated over consumption...Im about to quit for another 30 days to shed some "ballast". [emoji45]
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 14:39   #51

Quote:
. Im about to quit for another 30 days to shed some "ballast".
Yup, doing the same, after a few days, when every trace of alcohol has left the body, I don’t miss it anymore. Enjoying good books and trips to the gym, life is good.
Old 04-01-2019, 22:09   #52

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB

People in AA will generally not tell you if you have an alcohol problem. Alcoholics tend not to care much about other's opinions on such matters. One thought is if you cannot control AND enjoy your drinking, it is likely a problem.

One big red flag is blackouts. Inability to remember what you did after drinking. Does not seem to happen to normal drinkers. There seems to be some physiologic differences, in addition to a certain mental state in problem drinkers.
sanibel sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 23:27   #53

Boat: Ted brewer 40

I too worry about cruising and my sobriety. I’m at one year sober. It took pancreatitis to put me in the icu for a few weeks then pneumonia for a couple weeks. Popped a lung retracting the fluid. I didn’t have any cravings except for coke a cola. I think the bridge to full blown alcoholic is when you drink everyday and every morning not to get sick. I functioned a couple years like that as long as I could get enough booze in me before work and keep the minimum buzz going till after work. Be careful and go to detox at the first withdrawal. I am positive I won’t drink again but. I wouldn’t have been able to save for and operate my new to me first time sailboat owner of my 40 custom ted brewer. At first I was super depressed at the idea of never drinking again and knowing my first priority in life was now not ever going back in the deep rut of drinking. Aa meetings helped a bit when I wanted to quit drinking although I wasn’t able to quit. Aa didn’t hurt. I haven’t been to a meeting since the icu but often think about going. I thought I was happy because I could afford booze and could be drunk for years strait. I was actually miserable but couldn’t see how bad it was cause the temporary fix of vodka repeatedly. I am truly happy now sober and at 39 I am grateful I am sober and learned what not to do at an early age. I plan on saving and getting used to the boat and fitting her for my first cruise to s pacific from Maui. Further around the world if that works out. My plan is to stay to myself with no partying and hoping the crew understands. I stay to myself now with minimal hanging out with friends. That’s the price I pay for not being responsible. I’ve had alchohal on the boat since I bought her a couple months ago and haven’t thought twice about it. I’m hoping in a real bad event, I won’t get tempted. If anyone is on the verge or is an alcoholic, there’s a million others out there that have beat it and more that died from it. So not preaching but saying I understand what others in aa meant when they say they are truly happy sober. Just something to think about. For y’all responsible drinkers please have one for me. Aloha
Tim francis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 14:04   #54

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB

I made my own pennant. 18 inches on the hoist. 21 inch fly. 10 inch circle. Regular flag cloth from Sailrite and blue stick-on spinnaker fabric
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D27A5F4F-CF43-4373-A133-1F3D6DFC4E74.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	415.6 KB
ID:	183250  
sanibel sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 15:58   #55

Boat: Custom Marples 40 FC

Nice!!...

If we see that flag flying we will be sure to row over to say hello.

Cheers,

SnJ
w32honu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 16:02   #56

Boat: Custom Marples 40 FC

If anyone is interested there is a great book along the lines of this topic.

"The Naked Mind" by Annie Grace.

It is a good read...I highly recommend it.

S
w32honu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 16:07   #57
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

Quote:
I am curious, and it with all respect: what goes on at the AA meetings? If somebody have been sober for a few years, is there still a craving?

As for quitting smoking, it is like having the flu for 5-6 days, feels uncomfortable, I chewed asprin, it seemed to help, I guess.
Got over nicotine in a week, then almost forgot about it after a couple of weeks.
If you want to scare yourself witless, read Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace. The most touching portraits of people struggling with addiction and mental illness I have ever read. Includes AA meetings. It's also really, really funny.
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 16:25   #58
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim francis View Post
I too worry about cruising and my sobriety. I’m at one year sober. It took pancreatitis to put me in the icu for a few weeks then pneumonia for a couple weeks. Popped a lung retracting the fluid. I didn’t have any cravings except for coke a cola. I think the bridge to full blown alcoholic is when you drink everyday and every morning not to get sick. I functioned a couple years like that as long as I could get enough booze in me before work and keep the minimum buzz going till after work. Be careful and go to detox at the first withdrawal. I am positive I won’t drink again but. I wouldn’t have been able to save for and operate my new to me first time sailboat owner of my 40 custom ted brewer. At first I was super depressed at the idea of never drinking again and knowing my first priority in life was now not ever going back in the deep rut of drinking. Aa meetings helped a bit when I wanted to quit drinking although I wasn’t able to quit. Aa didn’t hurt. I haven’t been to a meeting since the icu but often think about going. I thought I was happy because I could afford booze and could be drunk for years strait. I was actually miserable but couldn’t see how bad it was cause the temporary fix of vodka repeatedly. I am truly happy now sober and at 39 I am grateful I am sober and learned what not to do at an early age. I plan on saving and getting used to the boat and fitting her for my first cruise to s pacific from Maui. Further around the world if that works out. My plan is to stay to myself with no partying and hoping the crew understands. I stay to myself now with minimal hanging out with friends. That’s the price I pay for not being responsible. I’ve had alchohal on the boat since I bought her a couple months ago and haven’t thought twice about it. I’m hoping in a real bad event, I won’t get tempted. If anyone is on the verge or is an alcoholic, there’s a million others out there that have beat it and more that died from it. So not preaching but saying I understand what others in aa meant when they say they are truly happy sober. Just something to think about. For y’all responsible drinkers please have one for me. Aloha
Wow, Tim! That was quite the speech. Good for you!

I'm glad that you've stopped so young. With any luck, you have a good long life ahead of you.

My father drank himself to death. He could always afford it and when he retired at 55 he took up drinking professionally, as we say in the family. He found a second wife who supported his drinking.

He died of alcohol, many years later. A miserable, painful and frightening death; alcoholic dementia, liver failure etc.

It's an epidemic, along with the mental illness that is often the basis/reason.

I drink occasionally but I don't have the stamina, and as you imply it's such a waste of time. I mean watching TV is a waste of time too, but this will kill you early and horribly.

Socially, I've taken to drinking cold tea or coffee with soda. Squeeze some fruit into a plain soda. No-one seems to notice or mind.

Fair winds!

Sue.
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 17:48   #59

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Lipari 41

This is the flag we will be flying.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0005.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	183264
- Aristotle
sausalitosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 18:16   #60

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

I think every bartender knows what it means when someone orders a "club soda with a squeeze". A good solution respected by most everyone.

By the way, Al-Anon is available for family members of people with chemical dependency issues.
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alcoholics anonymous