Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2018, 17:02   #1

Boat: Colvic Countess 33
Ahoy there from the crew of SV Oddity

Ahoy all,
I’m Greg and together with my friend Phil we just bought a beautiful Colvic Countess 33 in the UK that was never finished and never splashed.

My Sailing story starts with me hailing from an old Portuguese sailing family and I have done a fair bit of sailing in old traditional sailing boats and in tall ships in my youth, even having participated in a few builds.

I’m an engineer and travel extensively for my trade, In the UK I share a house with Phil and our sailing story starts there. Phil was extremely obese at 204 KG (451 pounds or 32 stone) He collapsed one day and I had to resuscitate him. While in the hospital resuscitating room he asked me why I wear an Earring. I told him that that it is an old Portuguese sailing tradition and mine was earned by my first blue water crossing and given to me by my grandpa. He said he would love to be able to earn one. I told him that would be easy. Just survive, learn how to sail, build a sailboat, cross the Atlantic and I will give him one like mine.
Well he survived, lost a few kg , now at 146 KG (321 pounds or 22 stone ) learned how to sail and now were building a boat. Next comes the Atlantic then he gets his earring and .. will see were it leads.
There that’s us.
We have a YouTube thing with a few videos of our “sailing “adventures , SV oddity on YouTube and were gonna have to finish the boat and cross the Atlantic so Phil can earn his earring.
SVOddity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 13:58   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Ahoy there from the crew of SV Oddity

Welcome Aboard!

Intro posts like yours are good at giving context and more meaning to other posts you may make.

Good of you and Phil to have a dream and be making progress towards it.

Good of Phil to be making progress on health.

I think I may recognize you from the videos, but....Since there are two of you, and I am not sure which of you will be or is posting here on CF in your posts, or if you share the user name on CF, I suggest adding a photo of the two of you, captioned, to this thread. I think it is always nice to place a face with a name.

I, for one, have enjoyed your posts so far, and wish you success.

Enjoy your time on CF.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 14:26   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadman Uhlich View Post
I think I may recognize you from the videos, but....Since there are two of you, and I am not sure which of you will be or is posting here on CF in your posts, or if you share the user name on CF, I suggest adding a photo of the two of you, captioned, to this thread. I think it is always nice to place a face with a name.
Based on Greg's description, this must be them
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PhilnGreg.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	167861  
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 14:28   #4

PHIL GREG

Old 09-04-2018, 14:30   #5

Thanks guys, sorry was having some trouble uploading pics due to size

Ps yeah You got it right
Old 09-04-2018, 14:32   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadman Uhlich View Post
Welcome Aboard!

Intro posts like yours are good at giving context and more meaning to other posts you may make.

Good of you and Phil to have a dream and be making progress towards it.

Good of Phil to be making progress on health.

I, for one, have enjoyed your posts so far, and wish you success.

Enjoy your time on CF.
Phil will post under his own handle so as to not create confusion. and thank you again for the warm welcome
Old 10-04-2018, 01:15   #7

Hello all. I'm the other half of SV Oddity. (normally known as the sane one) I'm also the one with less Grey in his beard. Im really new to all this and still learning the ropes so if i ask lots of apparently silly questions please be gentle.

Looking forward to gaining lots of knowledge and conversing with you all.

glad your enjoying the posts and videos. we will post up some more as and when we can
PhilOddity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 10:54   #8

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

You get the earring when you cross the equator. Good luck!

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 11:08   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleemus View Post
Others will tell you it's for rounding Cape Horn (or both major capes).
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 14:57   #10

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

In California if you cross a koi pond you can have an earring.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 15:07   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleemus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Others will tell you it's for rounding Cape Horn (or both major capes).
Hehe I keep hearing that as well. But allow me to dismistify it all.

The Sailors earring in Portuguese Tradition stems from Catholic tradition. When a body is found afloat or is given up by the sea, no jewellery remains attached, gas build up and decomposition swelling take care of chains and rings the rocks will take care of the rest. The only thing commonly found on a body is the earring. As the Sailors in old times (and even now) were extremely religious they would wear the earing as a guarantee of a Catholic funeral. If a body was found afloat and not possible to recognise who it was, the priest would bless the body, he would be wrapped in a cloth weighted with stones and buried at sea. But if the body was wearing an earring, then the earring would be sold and the money would pay the meal for the grave diggers and the Priest for the mass to be given on his name. The richer the earring the more masses that would be said in his name. This tradition was very common also on the Portuguese War Navy until about 1924 if I’m not mistaken. It was even specified that the earring must be worn on the left earlobe and be a simple ring. (some, if not most were also engraved)
To earn the right to wear a earring and be called a sailor, the apprentice sailor ( mancebo ) would have to learn for a few years with an older sailor. He would have to know how to repair and maintain a sailboat, and all its parts, he would have to know star navigation and when deemed competent enough he would then receive his earring upon the return from a long passage or a blue water passage. (blue water: Madeira / Azores from Portuguese mainland, Long passage: around the coast of Africa to the colonies or to India and Timor. )
When the time came, the “ Old Sailor” would offer his devotion to his saints by finally presenting the young sailor ( never younger then 16 never older then 19 ) with a simple earring that would be blessed by a priest in mass, then aboard the boat he would have his ear pierced by his mates ( involving a lot of the original Firewater, Aguardente de Figo ) There are tales that it was an old rusty nail against the mast. I do not know if such tales are true)
In my family after you learned how to sail and build boats and make your first passage at the age of 16 then Grandpa would give you the earring. Grandpa was always the “old Sailor”.
The Figure of the “Old Sailor” is a mark of respect for the knowledge accumulated by a life time at sea. The Portuguese coast not being known for its calm waters assured that an “old Sailor “ was either someone very lucky or very knowledgeable. Even in the Navy it was always the Oldest Sailor independent of rank to whom befell the duty of the “making of the sailor “ (Temos homem,Temos Marinheiro ) at that time the “ mancebo “ ( young man no longer a child not yet a man) became a man and a Sailor with the right of a full crew share as pay.
I have been asked many times to be the patron of a new sailor that would like to wear the earring and I have only given 2 in my lifetime to people I consider Real Sailors. (according to Portuguese sailing tradition )
Phil will have to earn his. Tradition dictates.

Tags
crew