Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2009, 17:11   #1

A'hoy sailors!

Hi i am new to this forum and to sailing. ive always been looking for ways to travel the world somehow but i havnt been able to decide on how to do it... until i found out about sailing and its funny how i came to this decision also haha. One night i had a dream that i was in a sailboat cruising from island to island in the caribbean so i woke up and went on the computer to read up on sailing. After i was done on the computer i turned on the tv and low and behold the first thing i saw was a commercial of the vancouver international boat show which i was just reading about on the internet lol.I am not making any of this up. Now i am not really a superstitous one but something tells me i should pursue the coincidences which is why i am here and i think ill have a lot of questions too. Any how thats a bit about me i look forward to seeing y'all on the boards
Malo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 17:18   #2

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
Welcome Malo....maybe it was meant to be! I guess, the next step is to hitch a real ride on a sailboat and see how it fits.....maybe you are meant to take lessons in the Caribbean!....

When you think of your questions, fire away...there's a lot of answers here.
Old 07-02-2009, 18:03   #3

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Welcome Malo...Destiny is knocking at your door...answer it!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 20:52   #4

Boat: 1989 Carver Santego 3067 - BADFISH
Send a message via AIM to BadFish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malo View Post
Now i am not really a superstitous one but something tells me i should pursue the coincidences
Sounds like a good plan, you wouldn't want to upset the powers that be.

Welcome aboard buddy.

Cheers

Bill
Old 07-02-2009, 21:25   #5

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Welcome aboard Malo

When you dig yourself out of the snow head down towards the arm there maybe some sailboats heading North for their annual Alaska cruise. I assume there is a marina.

Do you work at the aluminum plant?

..............................._/)
Old 08-02-2009, 00:55   #6

Thanks

Thank for the feedback guys. Delmarrey i am currently unemployed but i am trying to get on at the local aluminum plant(alcan) here that you were referring too or if i can get on at the local pulp and paper plant here called Eurocan that would be nice as well. There both good paying jobs if i land anyone of them. No job equals no boat so i am praying haha. My ambitions are high, what i mean is i want to sail the world ie: go everywhere a boat can go, the mediterainian(spell?) africa, australia, the carribean,you name it etc. i am still relatively young at 26 and i have no kids, girl or major bills holding me back at the moment so i feel free to live out my dream. The next step is finding a boat that will meet the task of travelling the world. I ve been lurking around these boards and another one as well soaking up the information on Water boats">blue water boats. Preferably i would want a catamaran but if i do get the job they still seem a little pricey. i am looking at monohulls right now and the islander 36 has me interested. i know zac sunderland(spell?) is cruising around the world in one of these at the moment.I know he modified it a lot to as well. Is the the islander 36 really capable of travelling the oceans as a blue water boat? even if i have to modify it? From what i ve found by reading up is that boats by Pearson, Ranger, Ericson, Mariner, Southern Cross and Csy might be able to do blue water crossing as well. If they are please feel free to inform me about them thanks. Oh yeah and my price range would probably be about a hundred twenty thousands canadian (i had to write out the number of the money because my number keys on the key board arent working dang thing) which is about ninety eight thousand american
Old 08-02-2009, 01:13   #7

Ps when i said relatively young at twenty six in no way am i a applying that there is an age limit for sailing so please dont be offended in any way anyone
Old 08-02-2009, 10:35   #8

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Malo,
Welcome aboard! I'm relatively young compared to a hundred year old. Good to have you here and asking questions. If you can find a local inexpensive sailing club or yacht club that offers basic sailing lessons you'll find many kindred spirits.
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 10:39   #9

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Of the boats that you've mentioned I have experience with Mariner, Pearson, Southern Cross and they might be consider bluewater boats depending on the skills of the skipper (you). I would consider the others you mentioned more like coastal cruisers with the exception of the CSY which I don't have experience with but we used to have several CSY contributors on the forum.
Good luck and you'll be able to buy whatever you want with all that money.
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 15:04   #10

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malo View Post
Thank for the feedback guys. Delmarrey i am currently unemployed but i am trying to get on at the local aluminum plant(alcan) here that you were referring too or if i can get on at the local pulp and paper plant here called Eurocan that would be nice as well. There both good paying jobs if i land anyone of them. No job equals no boat so i am praying haha. My ambitions are high, what i mean is i want to sail the world ie: go everywhere a boat can go, the mediterainian(spell?) africa, australia, the carribean,you name it etc. i am still relatively young at 26 and i have no kids, girl or major bills holding me back at the moment so i feel free to live out my dream. The next step is finding a boat that will meet the task of travelling the world. I ve been lurking around these boards and another one as well soaking up the information on blue water boats. Preferably i would want a catamaran but if i do get the job they still seem a little pricey. i am looking at monohulls right now and the islander 36 has me interested. i know zac sunderland(spell?) is cruising around the world in one of these at the moment.I know he modified it a lot to as well. Is the the islander 36 really capable of travelling the oceans as a blue water boat? even if i have to modify it? From what i ve found by reading up is that boats by Pearson, Ranger, Ericson, Mariner, Southern Cross and Csy might be able to do blue water crossing as well. If they are please feel free to inform me about them thanks. Oh yeah and my price range would probably be about a hundred twenty thousands canadian (i had to write out the number of the money because my number keys on the key board arent working dang thing) which is about ninety eight thousand american
That is how I ended up in the warmth of the States. I was unemployed (again) in Canada and decided that if I was going to be broke and starve, I might as well do it somewhere warm. Unfortunately, I met my first wife and after she got pregnant, I ended up working for at least the next 20 years. But at least I could wear sandals!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote