Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-06-2010, 17:46   #1

Boat: Catalina 22 - La Maestra
Ahoy from Texas

Hello everyone. I have been lurking for a month or so and have earned a valuable education living vicariously through your posts. Thank you all for sharing your experiences (and opinions ) I am putting together a 2 or 3 year plan to move to the coast and work my way into a liveaboard and ultimately cruising lifestyle. I have very limited sailing experience, but have a substantial amount of time on the water through fishing and power boating. Currently I am landlocked near Austin, so part of my plan is to get a trailerable sailboat that I can take to the local lakes and pull down to Corpus Christi to start building some experience. Found a good deal on a Catalina 22 swing keel with trailer and outboard that I think will get me started. Probably going to go pick it up Tuesday! Expect some questions coming your way after I find out what is wrong with it... This has been a dream of mine for years. I love the ocean and am very excited that I am just about in a position to make it come true! Thanks again for all the information you have shared. I am looking forward to sharing my education and experiences with you! Dennis
BlueSeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2010, 17:52   #2

Welcome to the board. BTW, is the photo from Thailand? Since you are in Austin, I would mention that Lake Travis is excellent for Lake sailing.
TexSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2010, 18:01   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42
You are off to a very good start! The Catalina is a kind but thorough sailing instructor! I would suggest you get one and only one how-to-sail book to avoid the bewildering array of terminology used by different books. Get any book, but only one!

Get a Coast Guard Auxilliary or a US Power Squadron safety inspection, and take the basic boating course from either of those or a local college or night course. And sail, sail, sail! Don't put a lot of money into the Catalina, you will either get tired of sailing, or be ready to move up in a couple years. Drag it down to Galveston Bay, and putter around the marinas looking at other boats to let your interests gel on a particular style.

Go on a Bareboat Charter in the Islands. After that, You're hooked!
sandy daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2010, 18:14   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexSail View Post
Welcome to the board. BTW, is the photo from Thailand? Since you are in Austin, I would mention that Lake Travis is excellent for Lake sailing.
Very perceptive TexSail! Was at an open air restaurant in Ao Nang a month before the tsunami! Thanks for the tip, Planning on spending time on Travis and Canyon Lake. About the same distance to either for me.
Old 20-06-2010, 18:17   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy daugherty View Post
You are off to a very good start! The Catalina is a kind but thorough sailing instructor! I would suggest you get one and only one how-to-sail book to avoid the bewildering array of terminology used by different books. Get any book, but only one!

Get a Coast Guard Auxilliary or a US Power Squadron safety inspection, and take the basic boating course from either of those or a local college or night course. And sail, sail, sail! Don't put a lot of money into the Catalina, you will either get tired of sailing, or be ready to move up in a couple years. Drag it down to Galveston Bay, and putter around the marinas looking at other boats to let your interests gel on a particular style.

Go on a Bareboat Charter in the Islands. After that, You're hooked!
Thanks for the advice Sandy. Bought too many books several years ago and am now narrowing it down to one I like! I believe US Power Squadron does classes at Lake Travis. Will look into it.
Old 20-06-2010, 18:56   #6

I don't know if the University of Texas Sailing Club would work a deal with non-students (I am assuming - you might be a student) but it could be worth checking out. I have seen several of their boats in Travis.
TexSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2010, 21:00   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexSail View Post
I don't know if the University of Texas Sailing Club would work a deal with non-students (I am assuming - you might be a student) but it could be worth checking out. I have seen several of their boats in Travis.
LOL, about 30 years past student status but thanks for the idea. Actually, the Austin Yacht Club has some interesting events. Thinking about checking them out a little closer.
Old 22-06-2010, 22:25   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
LCYC on Canyon Lake is a good bet. You can race your 22 if you want - or not. Good folks. If you decide to come to CC, please look us up. We are on "D" pier - and usually on most Saturday evenings you can stop by Bay Yacht Club on "B" pier.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2010, 10:11   #9

Thanks Bill for the invite and advice. Went up to Dallas yesterday and bought the Catalina 22! Very exciting. Hull seems to be in very good shape with some minor fiberglass touch up in non-vital areas. Probably could use new rigging (it it original 1981) Bought it from the second owner who has owned it since 1983. Has not sailed it since 1994, but seems to have kept decent care of it. The adventure begins....
Old 23-06-2010, 11:31   #10

Boat: 1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch "Lady Catherine II", 1973 Bristol 34 - "Our Baby"(RIP), Catalina 22
If you don't mind, how much was it? Was it the dinette version w/pop-top? Reason I ask is we have a Catalina 22 in Marble Falls that was just refit and repainted on a trailer; for sale.
and peace and tranquility reign forever!
1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch
Fishman_Tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2010, 15:22   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishman_Tx View Post
If you don't mind, how much was it? Was it the dinette version w/pop-top? Reason I ask is we have a Catalina 22 in Marble Falls that was just refit and repainted on a trailer; for sale.
It does have the Pop Top and Table. Sent you a PM with the cost....
Old 23-06-2010, 15:38   #12
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36
A little late, but welcome aboard. Look me up if you get down this way. Enjoy the new boat!

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2010, 15:48   #13
F51

Proper nautical terminology

Ahem. I don't think you used the proper nautical term in your original post. I believe the proper nautical greeting from Texas sailors is "Ahoy Y'all!"

Welcome to the board!

Gil
s/v Truthsayer
Kemah, Texas
F51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2010, 19:48   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by F51 View Post
Ahem. I don't think you used the proper nautical term in your original post. I believe the proper nautical greeting from Texas sailors is "Ahoy Y'all!"
I do stand corrected Gil. I was trying to keep it multilingual so everyone would understand me.

Plan on getting to Kemah at some point Ralph. Especially when I start looking for a bigger boat. I will PM you when I am headed that way!

Lived in Seabrook in the '80s. Really liked it, but that was before Landry's took over the restaurants in Kemah!

Dennis
Old 23-06-2010, 20:49   #15
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36
No rush. There are plenty of boats to look at here for sure if one is looking. We are at Watergate, not the Boardwalk. It's much quieter. We usually skip the restaurants and eat on the boat. I like grilling. Beer's on me if you get the chance to come by.

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
texas