Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-06-2009, 07:46   #1

Boat: Rainbow 24
Ahoy from Another Laker!

Greetings, all!

I've been a lurker around here for months now, but a physics question (not boat-related at all!) brought me out of the woodwork today. Figured I'd post a quick introduction over here to make things official.

Looks like I'm the latest in a recent batch of Minnesotans to join this community. With a bit of luck, I'm hoping I may run into a few of them over the next couple of seasons. Hopefully I won't run into them too hard.

I was introduced to sailing about six years ago, and I was hooked instantly. I'm a physics geek, so the feeling of power transmitted from the wind through the sail, mast, and hull grabbed me immediately. Bought a little Hobie, and have spent the past few years enjoying it, and looking forward to upgrading to something more substantial.

Had the chance this spring to take some ASA courses with my best friend and my wife in Pensacola Beach (Capt Bob at Floridaze is a hell of a guy, btw). Now we're looking forward to sailing "proper" boats with friends, and chartering in the Great Lakes and Caribbean over the next few years, test-driving as many boats as we can. I'm saving my nickels and dimes until I can buy a boat of my own; hopefully, I'll have a better idea of what I want by the time the money comes together.

My thanks to all the helpful and entertaining folks around here. I feel as though I know some of you already, since I've been reading your stories and opinions all winter. It's great to have a resouce like this at one's fingertips.
Red Mantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2009, 08:16   #2
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Ahoy from Another Laker!
Cool! The Lakers are my favorite team! Congratulations on winning that fifteenth NBA title! (Can you get me Kobe's autograph?)

Just kidding around, Red Mantis . . . welcome to Cruiser's Forum. We're glad you're here.

It sounds like you've been bitten by the sailing bug pretty badly, but don't worry . . . there is no cure. Even running out of money won't end the obsession with "simply messing about in boats."

Since you've already spent some time here looking the site over, I won't advise you to do just that. We look forward to your future posts as you pursue the life aquatic.

Again, welcome aboard.

TaoJones
Old 24-06-2009, 08:36   #3

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Howdy from way down in Texas,
I'm a science geek too . No matter how long I sail, I still marvel at the mere fact that throwing some canvas up the mast produces a lift and off we go-too cool.
Happy sailing,
Erika
Ocean Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2009, 13:18   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Red,
Welcome aboard! Good to have you here and posting.
What do you mean its physics? I always thought it was magic. : )
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2009, 13:37   #5

Boat: Island Packet 380
Welcome! I am a relative newbie myself, however have been a long time lurker. Learned alot reading on this forum.

I too am from Minnesota. Always great to see another Minnesotan. My husband and I sail on Lake Minnetonka. Which of the 10,000 lakes is your sailing ground?

Sounds like we are on similar paths...we took sailing lessons, bought the boat about 10 years ago now, just starting to think about the next boat...I spend WAY too much time browsing on yachtworld, that's like letting a kid loose in the candy store.

Would love to bump into other sailors in our area, have you sailed on a Hunter yet?

I love the knowledge, information and humor shared on this site, it's been a great.
sweetsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2009, 13:58   #6

Boat: Rainbow 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetsailing View Post
I too am from Minnesota. Always great to see another Minnesotan. My husband and I sail on Lake Minnetonka. Which of the 10,000 lakes is your sailing ground?
My little cat spends its time at my parents' place over the bridge in cheeseater territory (I have mixed feelings about how often they get to take out "my" boat ). We have friends with boats on White Bear and up in Bayfield; I'm hoping to get some quality time with them now that the weather's gotten warm.

I'm considering an associate membership at one of the local clubs, to meet more local sailors and get some more experience on different boats. I'll likely attend some summer events at the various clubs and hope to find one that suits me. I seem to recall reading somewhere that a good sail requires good ale, so I'll make sure to keep a cooler near at hand.
Red Mantis is offline   Reply With Quote