Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2021, 11:51   #1

Boat: Islander, Robert Perry style, 28
Adventurous Dreamer from Bellingham

Hello,
I'm a 38 year old female who is learning to listen to the pull of the wild. The sea draws me towards that special place where I feel alive and free. So, when I was introduced to sailing around the San Juan Islands and racing in Bellingham bay it made sense that I felt an instant connection to the community. I knew someday I would want to be a sailboat owner and, to have all the responsibility and freedom that comes with. That day came much sooner then I anticipated. I now find myself the owner of a 28' Islander that has needs like all boats do.

My three main current projects are:

1) Making the motor reliable and accessible. The diesel engine doesn't start at the moment. The previous owner went the route of giving up on it and replaced it with a Honda outboard motor. I cleaned the carburator to get it running but it very challenging to use because I weigh the same as it and lowering it into the water is like doing yoga on a very thin mount.

2) The jib sail needs replaced or repaired. I ran into road blocks to getting it repaired that were significant enough I switched to looking into replacement.

3) I am a novice and need to build up my confidence through experience.
WildRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 12:21   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Adventurous Dreamer from Bellingham

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Raven.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 12:31   #3

Boat: Islander, Robert Perry style, 28

Thank you! I'm so excited to be welcomed. It's a beautiful place to be welcomed into! I have some healthy fear and anxiety about it all but it's so good to be reminded that the community really is supportive.
WildRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 15:23   #4

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

WildRaven, first of all congratulations on owning your first sailboat. I just looked up the Islander 28 and it has nice lines, good numbers and it is a Robert Perry design so it has a fine pedigree. If you mention the make and model of the Diesel engine someone on the forum may be a to offer advice about bringing it back to useful life.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 16:58   #5

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hi, Wild Raven, and welcome aboard CF.

Somewhere on You Tube there is a wonderful video of a couple of guys who go start an old diesel engine that hasn't run for 20 yrs. or so. I really liked watching it.

If you use the CF Custom Google Search function, under the Search button, you'll be able to find any number of how to's for getting stopped diesels running again. And, you can also start a thread about it relative to your particular engine. Be sure to include what you have tried so far.

Anyways, welcome!

Ann
Old 06-07-2021, 03:57   #6

Boat: Grampian 26

Hi and welcome from Ontario Canada [emoji846]

That's a manageable boat size to get comfortable and gain some experience.

Fair winds [emoji569][emoji3]
Nauticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 04:47   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRaven View Post
My main current project(s) are:

1) Making the motor reliable and accessible. The diesel engine doesn't start at the moment. The previous owner went the route of giving up on it and replaced it with a Honda outboard motor.

I cleaned the [outboard's] carburator to get it running, but it's very challenging to use because I weigh the same as it and lowering it into the water is like doing yoga on a very thin mount.
Welcome aboard, Raven!

According to Sailboat Data,

Islander 28
https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/islander-28

The Islander 28's original engines were Atomic 4s (gasoline, not diesel), so if your Islander has a diesel it may have been repowered - which is cool.

Like Ann says (JPA Cate) there are a fair few EXcellent marine mechanics who are Forum Members and can give you really helpful advice about getting her restarted. You just need to post the engine's make and model. (There will be a plate on the inboard engine somewhere that displays that info.)

There also is a good thread going right now with many restarting tips:
Starting Diesel After 3 Years on the Hard
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...rd-252640.html

LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 04:52   #8

Boat: 21' trailer sailor & 8' sailing dinghy

Welcome WR. Is this your boat? https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/islander-28

LW77, The fine print notes a diesel option.

WR, curious about the obstacles to fixing the foresail. Is yours hanked on or do you have a roller furler system?

You could try Manny's or Bacon Sails for a better used one. There may be other used options closer to you, I have heard those two mentioned here more than once.

Old 06-07-2021, 14:32   #9

Boat: Coast 34 Sail

We sailed out of Bellingham for 20 years and there are some quality mechanics available depending on what engine you have. You are probably racing with some pretty knowledgeable folks for reference. Finding a used decent headsail unless your budget can go for new is probably better than fixing the old sail. Again it won't cost much to have a professional look at it. It's amazing when you replace sails with new and the boat points higher and the whole personality changes.
Fair Winds
Tomodore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 14:41   #10

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
It's amazing when you replace sails with new and the boat points higher and the whole personality changes.
I couldn't agree more! Too bad it's such a rare occurrence!

Ann
Old 08-07-2021, 13:09   #11

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 34 (waiting for me in Tahtiti)

Hi, I'm based in Vancouver and have a favour if I may ask?
I am one of the education coordinators for the Bluewater Cruising Association in Vancouver, Canada. Would you have a few minutes to offer some questions and concerns folks new to sailing might have?
You see we offer plenty of learning opportunities such as choosing sails or engine maintenance or trouble-shooting the electrics. However, we are sorely lacking in helping new or would-be sailors. Any suggestions would be most welcome we can use in a panel discussion later in the year.
KitGriffin is offline   Reply With Quote