Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-06-2010, 10:48   #1

A Newbie from Oakville Looking to Learn Sailing and Meet Knowledgeable People

Hi,

This forum looks like a very friendly place. My name is Roman and basically I'm looking for anybody who maybe has a boat but needs an occasional crew member or a company aboard and doesn't mind sharing his sailing knowledge.

I'm 35 y.o. from Oakville (web designer, musician, composer) and I've been very interested in sailing for a while. I'm thinking about buying my own sailboat in a couple of years (probably Macgregor 26x so I can trailer it around different places, go camping etc. and not pay marina fees) Obviously it's a good idea to experience sailing first, learn it, and meet some people who can share their knowledge.

I'm not sure I can commit to a full 2-3 week course, I'd prefer occasional sailing 2-3 hours at a time. So I just thought to post in a forum like this - there is always a chance someone sails alone and doesn't mind some company - someone that's eager to listen and learn.
romandesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2010, 10:56   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Go down to Oakville harbour and check around the two clubs there. That's if you're from Oakville, Ontario.
Old 26-06-2010, 13:00   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Go down to Oakville harbour and check around the two clubs there. That's if you're from Oakville, Ontario.
Yes, that's the right Oakville :-) Joining a club seems a bit expensive (I've looked at Oakville or Burlington clubs), and as for their courses I'm not sure I can find enough time for a 2-3 weeks course right now...
Old 26-06-2010, 13:30   #4

Boat: Mirage 27 in Toronto; Wright 10 in Auckland
Crew membership is usually not all expensive. And you might not even need to join the club -- all you need is a skipper who needs crew. Your can be his (or her) guest.

And the basic keelboat sailing course is usually a couple of hours one night a week.

Connemara
Connemara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2010, 13:40   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connemara View Post
all you need is a skipper who needs crew. Your can be his (or her) guest.
Interesting... How do I look for such a skipper?
Sorry for silly questions, but I have no idea how it works...
Old 26-06-2010, 15:38   #6

Boat: Mirage 27 in Toronto; Wright 10 in Auckland
The Oakville yacht squadron has a crew bank on its website, with some info on how to get involved. Bronte Harbour Yacht Club has an active racing scene, but no online crew bank.

I bet if you dropped in on either club, you could get a lot more info really quickly.

Connemara.
Connemara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2010, 04:03   #7

Thanks, I'll try to drop by and see... If I find anybody to talk to...
Old 02-07-2010, 19:31   #8

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and welcome aboard!
That's a good way to get introduced to a club. Take a basic sailing course if you can fit it in your schedule.
regards,
Old 08-01-2014, 09:08   #9

Boat: 1985 Canadian Sailcraft CS30
Re: A Newbie from Oakville Looking to Learn Sailing and Meet Knowledgeable People

I came across this older post and was wondering how the OP made out. This is exactly what happened to us. My better half and I were sitting on a picnic table at the docks in the Bronte Harbour Yacht Club when a gentleman approached us and asked if we were interested in crewing on race nights. We had never sailed and in fact have never been on a sail boat so you can imagine our laughing response to him. Well to make a long story short we agreed and not only did we become hooked but are were able to develop a close friendship with the owner.

Racers are always looking for dependable crew and it is a great way to learn.
mottseng is offline   Reply With Quote