Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2017, 06:39   #1

A guy, a girl, two dogs & a boat

Hello! We're a married couple from Austria with two dogs (Rocko&Turtle) who sold our house and most of our belongings and now live on a sailboat in Croatia. My wife (Angelika 34) and I (36) bought a 1987 Beneteau First 405 (12.5m) in October 2016.
Our plan is to leave Zadar in the beginning of April to Mallorca. We are currently working on getting the documentation done, installing a New water heater and just tying to get everything together that we're going to need ( or we at least think that we need ) before we leave and the budget is all used up!! [emoji16]
WilliErnszt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 06:55   #2

Boat: Freedom 38
Re: A guy, a girl, two dogs & a boat

Welcome! I've wondered what it would be like to sail with a dog, much less two! What size,are they?
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 07:03   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Willi & Angelika.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 09:42   #4

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

Welcome! We adopted a stray and she loves boat life. She's fine on land but when asked "Do you want to go to the boat? " she jumps up and starts pulling down the dock. This is a picture of her right now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1486316552259.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	140729  
Old 06-02-2017, 06:40   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
Welcome! I've wondered what it would be like to sail with a dog, much less two! What size,are they?
Hi! Thanks for the welcome! Rocko is a bloodhound-shepard mix with 30kgs and Turtle boxer-shepard mix with 11kgs. I will post some pics as soon as I get them on my tablet.
Old 06-02-2017, 06:41   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Willi & Angelika.
[emoji1] thank you!
Old 06-02-2017, 07:38   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliErnszt View Post
Hi! Thanks for the welcome! Rocko is a bloodhound-shepard mix with 30kgs and Turtle boxer-shepard mix with 11kgs. I will post some pics as soon as I get them on my tablet.

Name:	1486395499076.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	140796
Old 06-02-2017, 07:39   #8

Oops same pic twice! Can I edit my comments ?
Old 06-02-2017, 10:00   #9

Boat: a sailing boat

Some neighbours sure they will love you. Esp. ones with cats ... You have been warned. Make sure your beasts (btw very lovely animals!) have all required EU paperwork too. Some countries are strict and I witnessed a French sailor stopped by Spanish police over his 'stray' cats!!!

If your budget is cooked ... reconsider Mallorca ... ;-)

Welcome onboard!
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 08:41   #10

We don't need to go to mallorca , but go to Ibiza or Formentera. We would just like to head in that direction. Then towards the canary islands
Old 09-02-2017, 08:49   #11

Nice dogs!

We sailed with 2 westies.... be careful... enjoy!
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 09:27   #12

Canary Islands is where we are when not elsewhere (say in the West Indies or on the West Coast). Be warned: some local officers are VERY VERY strict when they see a dog poo or when you fail to splash the place where your dogs urinate. Our friends got heavily fined while taking a trip to Santa Cruz (Tenerife Island).

I have also seen a whole dock sign a petition to the marina manager to ban liveaboard dogs on "their" pontoon. In some places, people hate the noise and the fuss of owners with cats and dogs and other things (e.g. windmills) that could be seen normal and natural elsewhere. I think the motion was not enacted, but I know that it has been taken notice of.

I cannot see any pattern in all this as the strict authorities are local officers, while the no dog/cat poo dock ;-) were all Germans / Swedes and otherwise N Europe people. Local sailors refused to sign the petition though. But they did agree (pressed by the visitors) the pets were a nuisance.

My very wild guess is that nobody will ever bother you where the marina is a public one and most of the visitors are French / Italian or other 'family and noise oriented' visitors. But you can run into an 'unfriendly' situation where the place is basically providing a sailboat vista for clients of shoreside bars and restaurants catering for some specific groups of foreigners.

This is my wild, but not uneducated, guess. I live here when I can and I speak decent Spanish. I have never heard any negative dog or cat or tourist comment from a local person. So I think the bad spots are driven by foreign visitors and local businesses adjusting to their preferences.

Have fun in Canary Islands. Just bring a lot of plastic bags and carry your pee splash bottles at all times. ;-)

Cheers,
b.
Old 09-02-2017, 10:03   #13

BTW

As you are sailing towards the Baleares and maybe also visiting some Africa along the way, you may run into some breeds that are basically African mongrels adjusted and bred locally in e.g. Ibiza and also here in Canary Islands.

They are beautiful animals, smart and poised. I may take an abandoned one in when I am older.

(Every year thousands of dogs, mostly of the hunting breeds (many of them galgos and podencos), are abandoned and killed after the hunting season's end in Spain. It is a huge problem here and we get huge support from animal rights / protection people from all EU to help stop and transform this abominable local custom).

This is also my plea to fellow sailors to be aware of, and help as one can, change the situation while visiting Spain and Canary Islands.

http://www.mundoanimalia.com/images/...nario_6743.jpg

http://360gradospress.com/upload/img.../img_10837.jpg

Where these are bred they are called 'podenco' but elsewhere they are just known as just 'dogs'.

You will see these dogs 'no name' in Africa North & West and all the way to Cabo Verde. A friend of ours took a very poor one from there and later we made that poor chap a EU citizen. (Bending only some rules, but then again, hey, no human nor animal is born illegal!)

Best hugs and fair winds to you guys and to your four-leggeed crew!

Ah, yes, a 'galgo' dog looks like this. I think it is a local breed of a greyhound.

http://blog.gudog.com/wp-content/upl...02/GALGO-3.jpg

+Love,
b.
Old 09-02-2017, 10:26   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Canary Islands is where we are when not elsewhere (say in the West Indies or on the West Coast). Be warned: some local officers are VERY VERY strict when they see a dog poo or when you fail to splash the place where your dogs urinate. Our friends got heavily fined while taking a trip to Santa Cruz (Tenerife Island).

I have also seen a whole dock sign a petition to the marina manager to ban liveaboard dogs on "their" pontoon. In some places, people hate the noise and the fuss of owners with cats and dogs and other things (e.g. windmills) that could be seen normal and natural elsewhere. I think the motion was not enacted, but I know that it has been taken notice of.

I cannot see any pattern in all this as the strict authorities are local officers, while the no dog/cat poo dock ;-) were all Germans / Swedes and otherwise N Europe people. Local sailors refused to sign the petition though. But they did agree (pressed by the visitors) the pets were a nuisance.

My very wild guess is that nobody will ever bother you where the marina is a public one and most of the visitors are French / Italian or other 'family and noise oriented' visitors. But you can run into an 'unfriendly' situation where the place is basically providing a sailboat vista for clients of shoreside bars and restaurants catering for some specific groups of foreigners.

This is my wild, but not uneducated, guess. I live here when I can and I speak decent Spanish. I have never heard any negative dog or cat or tourist comment from a local person. So I think the bad spots are driven by foreign visitors and local businesses adjusting to their preferences.

Have fun in Canary Islands. Just bring a lot of plastic bags and carry your pee splash bottles at all times. ;-)

Cheers,
b.
Thank you for all the info! That helps!

I had a podenco once!!

Our dogs seldom bark, only when we return after a couple of hrs. Otherwise only once or twice when they see someone approaching but not very loud. They don' t bark at dogs or boats.

About peeing: the small one pees like a girl only the big one marks occasionally. Turtle just wants you to throw the ball and Rocco just wants love and treats.[emoji1] [emoji1] [emoji1]

We plan on anchoring and only using marinas when we need to. Don't ask me about peeing and pooping on board....we'll see and get to that.

Al this is totally new for us and we are experiencing and learning as we go along!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandero View Post
Nice dogs!

We sailed with 2 westies.... be careful... enjoy!
Old 16-02-2017, 04:20   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliErnszt View Post
Thank you for all the info! That helps!

I had a podenco once!!

Our dogs seldom bark, only when we return after a couple of hrs. Otherwise only once or twice when they see someone approaching but not very loud. They don' t bark at dogs or boats.

About peeing: the small one pees like a girl only the big one marks occasionally. Turtle just wants you to throw the ball and Rocco just wants love and treats.[emoji1] [emoji1] [emoji1]

We plan on anchoring and only using marinas when we need to. Don't ask me about peeing and pooping on board....we'll see and get to that.

Al this is totally new for us and we are experiencing and learning as we go along!

Name:	1487247608123.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	141379

Tags
boat, dogs