Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2010, 07:34   #1

Boat: In my dreams: a 40' sailing boat
A Beginner in Sailing, from Barcelona

Hi!
I'm Christina from Sweden. I'm living in Barcelona and together with my husband, I'm planning to buy a sailing boat since a year ago. I'm the one that is going to study (to begin with) and I'm curious to know if their someone else living in Spain or elsewhere in Europe

For the moment I'm in Argentina but from April I'll be back again in Barcelona.

I'm seeing forward to read your topics and to make some new friends

Tina
Christina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2010, 07:40   #2

Boat: Morgan, O.I. 33' Dutch Treat
Ahoy, Christina,

You will find a lot of information that will help you here,

Do you have a boat in mind?

Do you plan to live aboard?

Have you or your Husband ever sailed before?

Dutch
johnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2010, 08:02   #3

Boat: McGregor venture 15 "IMP"
Welcome Christina,
You sound like an avid traveler. Best of luck to you and your husband.
Spencer
Old 18-02-2010, 08:33   #4
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Welcome to Cruisers Forum, Christina. We're happy to have you here.

Take your time exploring the site and getting to know your way around. You'll find a wealth of information here on all-things-nautical, so just about anything you may be curious about has probably already been discussed. You can do a Google Search of Cruisers Forum by going to the menu line beneath your name and clicking on Search (third from right end). In the drop-down menu, scroll down to Google Custom Search and enter your search term.

The Google Custom Search is much better than the search function that is built into the software (the big SEARCH button up at the top.)

Again, Christina, Welcome Aboard!

TaoJones
Old 18-02-2010, 08:39   #5

Thanks for your reply
We have been looking around a lot, but as we don´t know yet what we need (to fulfil our dream - crossing the Atlantic) we're still defining the kind of boat to buy (we have seen some, such as BAVARIA YACHTS BAVARIA 37' from 2000 and a Jeanneau SUN ODYSSEY 37 from the same year. As we're not so familiar with the prices this far, we are only looking.
We have no experience of saling (exept some tours with friends) so everything is new for us.

Our goal is to be able to live on board 6 month of the year (to begin with)

Do you have any experience og crossing the seas? Do you live on board?

/
Christina
Old 18-02-2010, 08:42   #6

Thanks for reply

We'd just travel between Spain - Sweden - Argentina (and we'd done a trip with ferry to Malta and Italy too)

Do you have a sailing or a motor boat?

/Tina
Old 18-02-2010, 09:08   #7

Boat: Morgan, O.I. 33' Dutch Treat
My wife and I live on a Morgan 33' sail boat and have been for about 3 years now, before that sailing was new to me and I learn from coming here talking with people and watching video on Youtube and then I would go out and try what I seen/read.

In my 3 years I have learn alot and I am sure I will be learning the rest of my life. Right now we are dock in Norht west Florida and have been working on the boat as it is a older boat that I got very cheap but lucky all the work it needed I was able to do myself. We had hopes to head south for the island chain next month but a few weeks ago the motor went out while out on a day trip. It is nothing majury and should be fixed within the next two weeks but it has set us back.

In my 3 short years sailing I have logged a number of hours by taking short trips (50 to 100 mile) trips and countless day trips.

I met my wife after I got the boat and moved here to Florida and with her it is a little harder changing her life to live aboard, for some reason I took to it very easy and beleive it was the best move I made in my life.

I am sure a number of people will tell you on here to take sailing classes or join a club and I do agree, but do not stop there get out to marina's and meet sailors they all love to take and at times you will meet friends that will invite the two of you out on day trips.

Most people find it very hard to down size when moving onto a boat so keep that in mind.

Here is a link to a site that will help you get some idea on cost of boats and different types. Keep in mind the price listed is the asking price and in most cases the price you pay is much less.New and Used Yachts for Sale - YachtWorld.com

Best of luck,

Dutch
johnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2010, 12:38   #8
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Hi Christina... Welcome to our world...lol
Unfortunately your in an area where boat prices are usually higher than elsewhere in Europe... the Med some folks think adds value to their boats so they over price them.... a good European site is www.apolloduck.com .
As a live aboard boat if your going for the Modern look I'd suggest a Beneteau over a Bavaria... they have a roomier and better thought out interiors and build quality than Bavaria's.
If I may suggest, as your total newcomers to the scene start out with a mid/low range priced boat... you can always move it on later..... older boat suggestion..
Beneteau Boats for sale Spain, Beneteau Used boat sales, Beneteau Sailing Yachts For Sale Beneteau First 35.5 - Apollo Duck
Knock 25% off the price when you make any offers.... cash/quick payment offers influence in amazing ways...lol.
Otherwise look further North, the same type boat may well be cheaper in Holland or Germany, even the UK making it worthwhile hiring a Skipper to help you sail it down... a steep but well worthwhile learning curve for the 11 to 14 days getting to Barcelona.
Good luck in your searches and Good Sailing when you buy...
Phil

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2010, 12:25   #9

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Hi Christina,
Welcome. Boat man is giving good advice but suggest you get out sailing perhaps this summer before making a commitment to buy a boat. Hate to say it - you may dislike the experience and buying then selling a boat is usually an expensive mistake.
If you drop into any of the Barcelona marinas and pop a note on the board saying you are keen to get out 'crewing' for others you may strike lucky.
Worst case you pay someone to take you both away on a boat fo a week or so.
If you've not got your feet wet by this October remember our boat name and come find Sue and I in Port Vell Barcelona. We aim to move Swagman there for winter 2010/11 so happy to share a beer with you both.
JOHN
Old 30-03-2010, 11:51   #10

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and welcome aboard
You've received a lot of good advice already and I hope you and your husband can find the right boat to take you everywhere you wish.
regards,

Tags
arc, barcelona, novice, round the world, Sweden